• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters in the Vaults - What is there left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motownboy

This may have already been discussed, but I thought maybe it would be worth an updated discussion.

It seems that there isn't too much unreleased in the vaults.

The only things I can think of are more of the musical performances from the TV specials. The unfinished Karen solo tracks. Also, there must be some alternate mixes or alternate vocal takes of some songs in the vaults. I would like to hear those.

I think it would be great for Richard to unearth some alternate vocal takes of whatever LP cuts or sngles that may be intact and accompany Karen on the piano, and maybe add a stand-up bass and maybe a string quartet????

At this point, it may seem appear a bit too calculated, but I know I would enjoy such a treasure.

Does anyone have a list of unreleased items? Is there such a list?

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/timegoes.html

Of course, seeing this track list has gotten me asking the question, "What about...?" There are a number of other songs that I know of that aren't being included here, such as "Can't Buy Me Love," "Cinderella Rockafella," "I Fell In Love Again," "And When I Die," "Strangers in the Night," "Thank You For the Music," the John Davidson/Karen duet from Space Encounters (including portions of "Boogie Nights" and "I Could Have Danced All Night"), "Alphabet Christmas" (with Christy McNichol), "Stille Nacht," "Adeste Fidelis," the medley from Make Your Own Kind of Music ("Good Day Sunshine," "Wishing and Hoping" et al)...

Also, it's been said they have recorded another version of Ave Maria...

Why the other version of Ave Maria hasn't been released by now is beyond me. It could've easily fit on An Old Fashioned Christmas seeing the lack of Karen on that album (no offense to Richard at all). And to prove it, I'm also kind of sad his version of Toyland hasn't been officially released. Anyhoo, there's still at least one or two albums worth of orignal material that could be put together. How about the rest of the Spectrum demos? The other demo tracks that are apparently finished from the ATGB sessions? There's also some regular Carpenters tracks that are apparently ready to go it's just Richard holding back on releasing them. Some are Peter Pan Moon with the C's parents. Also All My Life is said to be one of Richard's favorites. There's also a Carpenters album outtake that's apparently complete but Richard dislikes it for some reason. Wasn't there also a full version of Dancing In The Streets recorded but shelved? Also, there's Dance In The Old Fashioned Way. Rich could put his vocal on it and just mix it into one song and leave the TV special medley out of it. Also, even though again Rich hates these, there's the numourous concerts he taped and one that's even finished (the 74 LV concert) and even one that's from 78 vegas if that rumour is true. Sorry I'm rambling but it just kind of frustrates me that we haven't had anything new since the Chocolate Commercial from the Essential Collection and that's a whole :30 secs or so short. Come on Rich, it's a new decade let's bring out something new. Even put some solo outtakes as well even (especially You'll Never Know would be nice). Ok I'm done for now. Back to dreaming.

I was kinda hoping that Richard's Christmas CD would be released this year. I think this is pretty much never going to happen now. :sad:

I wonder if Richard has anything else planned for Carpenters in his mind for future release?

I could never really understand why As Time Goes By does not get more talk from the fans, I mean it's hardly ever mentioned on message boards and you can almost find them on ebay dirt cheap yet it's filled with rare never before heard of tracks. I love the release but it just gets no attention. Do you really think another release like this of some rare tracks perked by Richard will sell any better? Here is a gem, "Leave Yesterday Behind" yet we hear so little from the fans of how awesome the track is. So I just doubt that another album of rarities would create much interest in marketing.

I think if there is anything left for release it would be more suitable to release as bonus tracks on future compilations, Japan is most likely distributor.

I personally would just like to know what Richard has been up to the last few years, with his official site not reporting any more news at all in years, the fans have really been kept in the dark about what is going on anymore in Carpenters legacy and yet I am still interested and concerned.

I can only hope one day we hear the unreleased music that's left. My hopes aren't too high, but you never know, Richard could Surprise us!

Even now with the whole downloading age of music, just finish up some tracks and put them up on iTunes. Don't even worry about mass-producing CD's. At least Richard would get something out of it. I just need something new to hear from Karen. It's been too long. Even alternate takes would be awesome. And Chris, I agree with you. Though I don't listen to ATGB much but when I do, LYB and TRC gets repeated multiple times. Classics. Also And When He Smiles is worth noting though I wish there was an extra verse rather than a flute solo. But hey it's better than nothing. Also, I kind of wish Richard would release an extended version of Live At The Palladium 76 album. Make it a 2 disc set to include the yesterday once more/grease medley, coming thru the rhye/good vibrations medley encore, close to you spike jones, and i need to be in love. Wouldn't that be awesome?

It could be possible that Richard has reached a point in his mind where the Carpenters' legacy is about as complete as it can ever be......I don't feel that way, but it is not my legacy either.

Even if there is not a CD's worth of suitable unreleased studio material, I would love Richard to (as I said above) use alternate vocal takes of already released songs and put new piano only, or jazz trio, or string quartet, or even full orchestral accompaniment. The technology is there. I, for one, who would love it!!

motownboy said:
It could be possible that Richard has reached a point in his mind where the Carpenters' legacy is about as complete as it can ever be......I don't feel that way, but it is not my legacy either.

Even if there is not a CD's worth of suitable unreleased studio material, I would love Richard to (as I said above) use alternate vocal takes of already released songs and put new piano only, or jazz trio, or string quartet, or even full orchestral accompaniment. The technology is there. I, for one, who would love it!!
There's also the remaining Spectrum demos that could be put out, All My Life, another 1971 outtake tho Richard hates it, but still could be released, 1 or 2 1982 sessions left, some 75-76 outtakes (as said on the boxed set one of many selections tracked but not used for). So there really is enough for one album and possibly bonus tracks for as someone said earlier Japan.

Maybe it's to the point where the stuff that's left isn't good enough quality for an official CD release but he could put it on their website for the interested parties.

^^Bring it on! But what will happen when the vault is really empty? We'll all have nothing to look forward to.

Naturally it's a habit to look forward to more releases on the latest medium from our favorite artists & of course Kar' & Richard are no exception...

Most likely whatever future forthcoming "CarpenterS product" approaches, it may be none-other than another "compilation CD", w/ just a simply different combination of songs, specially made for "the completest" in us all!

Dave :jester:

Empty the vault! We'll have plenty to talk about! Release it online or thru iTunes and hard copies. We'll have lots to talk about..... And then remix it, repackage it....remaster it

I can only hope.

It is evident from a simple search at YouTube that Karen's unreleased solo recordings are somehow attainable, and I find most of them to be spectacular. Clearly, Richard could fill a CD with those alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom