• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenter's Instrumentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geographer

Here's a topic for you!

Of the Carpenter's Instrumentals, which are your favorites and which are your least favorites?

My favorites are:

"Heather" and "Flat Baroque" (Richard's Solo Versions). I'm also partial to "Karen's Theme" and "All Those Years Ago."

I have always liked "Heather" as it always lightens my mood. A great song even without Karen singing!

I hope Richard doesn't sue me, but I used "Karen's Theme," "All Those Years Ago" and "Time" for a video I had professionally created to show at my parent's 50th wedding anniversary banquet. We interviewd my parents and picked through years of home movies and old still photos to create quite a touching recollection of my paren't years toghether raising a family. Those three songs fit SO WELL into the "project." I was expecting my brother's and sister's to protest such a "Carpenteresque" bias in telling our family history (as this was not an inexpensive endeavor) but was pleasently surprised as they also thought the "score" was quite appropriate.

One of my favorites would have to be "O Holy Night" -- Richard's piano solo. It's superb... the piano runs are breathtaking. VERY emotional performance. I just wish Karen had done a vocal of "O Holy Night" -- just imagine!

It's not really an "instrumental" tune, but I love the ending of "Another Song" from the CLOSE TO YOU album. It's a rockin' jam session and I just love the interaction between instruments. It has an improvised feel, but I am sure it was all planned with precision.

Randy

:o Definitely "Heather".There's so much beauty for me because of the slight melancholy I hear in it. It's somehow suitable to Karen's life even if she's not singing on it. Another one which is not quite an instrumental but turns out to be in the middle of the song is "Another song". Great song! I've always loved it. Even Karen's singing which she is often reported not to have been happy with to my humble opinion is excellent. A little bit rough and vulnerable, dramatic at times. I wouldn't want to have it re-recorded with a somehow sweetened voice. It's perfect for me just like that. Any one who likes especially that song as much as I do ? :tongue:

Geographer said:
Here's a topic for you!

Of the Carpenter's Instrumentals, which are your favorites and which are your least favorites?

My favorites are:

"Heather" and "Flat Baroque" (Richard's Solo Versions). I'm also partial to "Karen's Theme" and "All Those Years Ago."

I have always liked "Heather" as it always lightens my mood. A great song even without Karen singing!

I hope Richard doesn't sue me, but I used "Karen's Theme," "All Those Years Ago" and "Time" for a video I had professionally created to show at my parent's 50th wedding anniversary banquet. We interviewd my parents and picked through years of home movies and old still photos to create quite a touching recollection of my paren't years toghether raising a family. Those three songs fit SO WELL into the "project." I was expecting my brother's and sister's to protest such a "Carpenteresque" bias in telling our family history (as this was not an inexpensive endeavor) but was pleasently surprised as they also thought the "score" was quite appropriate.
:laugh:

Mine would have to be the instrumental section of "I Got Rhythm". This REALLY shows off Richard's (& Karen's) technical abilities at their instruments. -Chris

I would pick an instrumental version of Hurting Each Other. I would pick the remixed version because I think Richard did a wonderful job on it.

I really enjoy "Heather" It's so different & unlike any Carpenters song, so use to hearing Karen singing on most all C songs that this instrumental is really nice to just listen to.

I also love the Original Master Kareoke CD that Richard put out for Japan only, I was lucky enough to finally get an original of that one. Although there are background vocal in it, it reminds me so much of how awesome Richard is as producer of these signature hit songs.

I completely forgot about Matster Karaeoke! I think it more shows Richard's contribution better than Carpenters Play Carpenter. Richard's arrangements are genius! I find that I like certain songs on Master Karaeoke than I do the originals with Karen's singing. How that is possible, I don't know. Could it be that, sometimes, Karen's performances are so great they actually overshadow Richard's brilliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom