Carpenters music (and mention) in GHOST RIDER movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
The new Nicolas Cage movie "Ghost Rider" features the Carpenters song "Superstar" rather prominently, at about the 20 minute mark.

Can't help you out on whether the movie's worth seeing otherweise though....it's not really my kinda movie. It's a comic-book-based thriller. I like comic-based movies, but this one is a little dark for my tastes.

I understand that it took Cage a lot of persuasive effort to get Richard to approve of "Superstar's" use in the movie.

Harry

The song is played at least 2x, not the whole song but a substantial part of it, and the Carpenters are mentioned by name at least once. I think the character in the movie is obsessed with Carpenters music or something...I'll try to watch the scenes and find out tonight.

OK, here's what happens. Johnny Blaze (Nicolas Cage) is into Karen Carpenter and apparently his favorite song is "Superstar." That song is playing when a guy stops by his place to see him, and asks "Can I turn this music off for a second?" The guy turns off the music, and also turns off the TV which is showing a funny video featuring a chimp. Blaze says, "You mess with the Carpenters and that chimp video one more time, we're going to have a scrap on our hands."

A bit later, Blaze is in a dressing room (before performing a motorcycle jump) with "Superstar" playing again, near the end of the song. A guy walks into the room and starts talking to him, but Blaze stops him by saying, "You're steppin' on Karen, man...." and they wait for the song to end before he continues to talk.

No idea what all this means in the overall context of the story.... maybe someone who's watched the whole movie will chime in. It is nice to see some Carpenters music used in a non-mocking way though.

I think that it was #1 at the box office this past week. Now even more people have heard "Superstar". Long live Karen and Richard. I love it.

Yes, 2 weeks at #1, probably about $140 million final gross, which translates to about 25 million people hearing the song. That doesn't count the people outside the US, or the people who will hear it on video later!

I glanced at the soundtrack album today and there is a track titled "A Thing for Karen Carpenter." It does not contain "Superstar" however, because it is only the score.

Well, if this guy is on fire whenever evil is around, maybe he uses Carpenters music to calm him, as it's probably the least evil thing on the planet....well, other than kittens and baby bunnies.

And who doesn't have a "thing" for Karen? . :shock:

I hope to see the movie soon.

Actorman said:
It does not contain "Superstar" however, because it is only the score.

Which means that anyone who wants the tune (who doesn't have it) will likely spring for a copy of GOLD or SINGLES 1969-1981 or the tan CARPENTERS album. Or these days, perhaps they'll just look for a download.

Which of the many mixes/remixes did the movie use, anyway?

Harry

It's hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like the original mix to me. It's not used full volume on the soundtrack. It's playing on a stereo in the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom