Carpenters on BBC news

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

I cound't find any articles about Newville House at BBC site yesterday, but it is now on BBC news with their photo.

Send requests to release "Live at BBC"!!!

_44433577_carpenters_bbc_203.jpg

The Carpenters enjoyed worldwide success

Carpenter house faces demolition

Fans of The Carpenters are objecting to plans to have pop duo's former family home knocked down.

The current owners of the house in Downey, south of Los Angeles, say they object to fans looking in the windows and leaving floral tributes.

They have already knocked down an adjoining building and have sought permission to demolish the main house.

Jon Konjoyan, fan of the act who had huge success in the 1970s, said: "This house is our version of Graceland."

Historic landmark

The five-bedroom house was immortalised when it featured on the cover of The Carpenters' 1973 hit album Now & Then.

The adjoining section included an office and rehearsal studio where Karen Carpenter collapsed before her death in 1983.

The family moved into the property in 1963 and it was sold in 1997 by Richard Carpenter a year after his mother's death.

Some fans have used it as shrine since, and have called on local officials to recognise it as an historic landmark.

Jessica Parra, whose parents own the house, said at first they allowed fans into their home and gave away items left behind by Richard Carpenter.

"But honestly, it became horrible, not only for us but for the neighbourhood," she said, adding that fans "peek in windows and take pictures".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7250307.stm

Sakura

A couple of inconsistencies...

The adjoining section included an office

Not true, the office was just inside the main house to the right. Not that they would know that of course :rolleyes:

The adjoining section included...a rehearsal studio where Karen Carpenter collapsed before her death in 1983.

Karen didn't collapse in this part of the house, she collapsed in the walk in closet of her bedroom.

The family moved into the property in 1963 and it was sold in 1997 by Richard Carpenter a year after his mother's death.

They moved in in 1971, not 1963. That's when the moved to California.

I noticed them, but I was/am more interested in the photo.
Several years ago some of us believed a BBC article, but Randy told us that was not right in this forum.

Can we watch the video of this photo?

I think I have seen another shot of Richard and Karen at drums in the same hair do and outfits at photo site. I was not sure if it was taken when they performed for BBC. But this photo tells that this was taken at BBC.
I'd love to watch the performance. What song?

About one and a half year ago, Richard told a Japanese writer that he had 1976 the New London Theatre Live, デジタル再編集版(digital remaster) and showed his children the video.

Was the live remastered for DVD release?

I have watched their performance at Gilbert Becaud Special though I didn't see Gilbert sing ''The girl from Ipanema ''.
I read about Lulu Special and saw her photo with Karen and Richard and read a BBC article or two in which she mentioned Karen.

I have seen photos of Karen at drums with huge pictures of unknown guy. Who was the guy? Were they taken at the same tour?

( Now this BBC article has link to "Singer Presley hits out at press" and the article about Elvis' daughter has the link to "Lisa Marie sells Presley estate"( 17 Dec 04). )

Hope we can watch the video of this photo.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom