• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters on the subway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

I was just standing on the subway platform at 34th Street here in NYC, waiting for the uptown B train to take me home, and a street musician actually played a jazz guitar version of "We've Only Just Begun"! I was surprised and pleased, and, of course, I tipped the guy and gave him an approving smile. His performance was updeat, clever and done in the style of George Benson. What a nice way to end the work day.

Tony

Wow! That reminds me of long ago, when a Tom Scott song was playing over the speakers at a bus depot and a street musician was playing his sax along with it and hearing it from a few radios in cars passing by.

Dave

Late this afternoon I was checking out in a collectibles shop when a wall clock started to chime the hour and play "Top of the World". It was a Seiko clock with figures that rotated at the top. It was just so lovely, I left the store with a smile on my face!

Marilyn,
tired from this loooong day at the hospital with my husband but a happy moment at the end!

Yes, that is a beautiful clock, Marilyn. My father owns one. It's the Charming Bell by Seiko. It not only plays "Top Of the World", but "Close To You" as well. It rotates six different tunes:

Top Of The World
Missing You
La La La Love Song
Bridge Over Troubled Water
My Favorite Things
Close To You

"Close To You" is the most beautiful one of all. The arrangement is great and it sounds like glockenspiels and chimes.

Marilyn and Chris,

I've never seen or heard of this clock. Sounds like a fun thing to have. By the way, yesterday I went to lunch at a new pizza place on Park Ave. between 28th & 29th called Pinch (it's kinda short for "pizza by the inch") and they were playing 70s music. And guess who came on while I was there? Yep, the Carpenters with "We've Only Just Begun." I noticed several people singing along, which I thought was cool.

It's really been a Carpenters week for me here in NYC. Sometimes I go months without hearing a C's tune in public, but this week I've twice heard WOJB. Go figure!?

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom