Carpenters - Please Help!

wcoyprod

I'm going crazy trying to find a Carpenters song that was played on KFRC San Francisco when I was in High School. It was uptempo and fun. The subject matter was old (50's/60's) rock and roll songs. It was NOT "Only Yesterday" or "Yesterday Once More." I have scoured their discography and cannot find it. Anyone know what it could be? I appreciate the help.

I'm going crazy trying to find a Carpenters song that was played on KFRC San Francisco when I was in High School. It was uptempo and fun. The subject matter was old (50's/60's) rock and roll songs. It was NOT "Only Yesterday" or "Yesterday Once More." I have scoured their discography and cannot find it. Anyone know what it could be? I appreciate the help.
Welcome to the Boards, @wcoyprod!

Not 100% sure, but I think I recall hearing something about the Carpenters being in Dallas on tour. Dallas is the capital of jingle-singing and somehow they must have been contacted by someone from KFRC, in town for the recording of a jingle package.

KFRC was a heritage AM station in San Francisco and was the western home of DJ Dr. Don Rose, who I knew of from his Philly days.

It was THE station that most in the Bay Area, all the way north to Chico, Ca. listened to in the early to mid 70’s, Carpenters heyday. The majority of students at CSUChico were from the Bay Area as well. About 150 miles away from the City(SF), as they called it. I bought a long range fm antenna so I could receive KIOI-K101, that played similar music, but it stereo. Chico’s main AM station played Carpenters often. Even Goofus. 😱

I'm going crazy trying to find a Carpenters song that was played on KFRC San Francisco when I was in High School. It was uptempo and fun. The subject matter was old (50's/60's) rock and roll songs. It was NOT "Only Yesterday" or "Yesterday Once More."
Could it possibly be Beechwood 4-5789 that you are thinking of? It doesn't mention 50's/60's rock and roll songs but it sure does have that vibe and it was originally done by the Marvelettes in 1961 around the pulse of the 50's/60's.

Wow, thanks for the effort. Sorry, but its a no to all of your questions. I'm familiar with the KFRC "You" jingles and Beechwood and the N&T medley. Its none of those. Was an original full length song that KFRC played a ton. Any other ideas? Thanks so much.

I will take one more guess at it and then I will bow out gracefully. Harry mentions Dr. Don Rose ended up at KRFC San Francisco. I grew up listening to Dr. Don Rose all six years he was in Philly at WFIL and he played the original Dancing in the Street all the time because of the Philly connection to the song (although the Carpenters version doesn't mention Philly).

Was it maybe Dancing in the Street?

Thanks a bunch. Loved DDR! Got ne out of bed for years. True Morning Drive superstar.

No, was not "D.I.T.S." OR a cover of any old tune.

Thanks for tryin!

If you can remember ANY lyric at all, we might be able to help you. It sounds like you have indeed perused the full Carpenters discography, and if you heard this on the radio, then it pretty much had to be a legitimate release. Perhaps it was a song by another artist confused with Carpenters either then or now?

Also you state you were in high school. To which years are you referring?

Not 100% sure, but I think I recall hearing something about the Carpenters being in Dallas on tour. Dallas is the capital of jingle-singing and somehow they must have been contacted by someone from KFRC, in town for the recording of a jingle package.

KFRC was a heritage AM station in San Francisco and was the western home of DJ Dr. Don Rose, who I knew of from his Philly days.
Agreed. This was part of a jingle package called “You” by TM Studios in Dallas used on many radio stations across the US in the mid 70’s. Although I don’t know of any others with vocals recorded by any major pop or rock groups of the time, just studio musicians.

Back
Top Bottom