• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CarpenterS time capsule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Yesterday I was a thinkin. If it was my responsibility to place one, just one C's tune in a time capsule which one would it be? This thought has given me a headache. Being a giver I thought I'd pass it along. Okay so what, which one? With head spinning I've chosen PHYSICAL. Juz kiddin. Seriously my choice for encapsulation would be Rainy Days. Why? A few reasons. Karen range is well represented. The blues are tailored to her emotion. A somewhat thought provoking ballad. Overdubs snuggly intact. Richard's exquisite arrangement. Just being a good song altogether. Lastly, I'm weary of the considerations.

Being of curious nature what would ya'll pick?

Please pass the Tylenol,

Jeff

Very difficult selection(s) :

Classic Carpenters would probably be We've Only Just Begun , Close To You , Rainy Days , Superstar .....:cool:

Original Carpenters : Goodbye To Love , Yesterday Once More , Only Yesterday , I Need .... :D

For now -probably WOJB -outstanding performance , arrangement & production ....Carpenters signature song .....:cool: :cool:

Peter

50/50 toss-up between "WE'VE ONLY"/"CLOSE TO YOU". If I had to narrow it down, I would pick my absolute favorite of the two which would be "We've Only Just Begun". -Chris

While you're at it Jeff, why not ask me which member of my family I'd pull out of a burning building if I could save only one! :wink: Choosing just one song to represent the Carpenters career is a nearly impossible task... If pressed, I would say it was a toss-up between "Close to You", "We've Only Just Begun", "Superstar", "Rainy Days and Mondays", "Hurting Each Other", "Yesterday Once More", and "Only Yesterday".

As of right now, I would pick "Yesterday Once More". Ask me again tomorrow, and you may get a different answer.

Murray
...with a headache of his own...

I think I would pick a song Richard wrote to represent that side of their "offering" as well.
Probably "Goodbye to Love" -great vocal, lyrics representative of alot of their work, vocals overdubs, good arrangement, and a ground-breaking guitar solo for a ballad. On top of that, it's controversial and also personally reflective of Karen's life.

Oh does placing it into the time capsule mean I don't get to hear it anymore? :o I feel a migraine coming on big time with my decision. :wink:

Choosing is really hard, I would narrow it down to 2, Rainy Days & Mondays & Yesterday Once More

Both of these tracks represent the best vocals of Karen especially Rainy & who could not identity with that sadness that everyone has experienced sometime in their life. The way she sings this, the listener feels what she is feeling & we've all been there. Also alot of the public knows this song even if there not deeply into the C's.

But if I had to only choose one, it would be Yesterday Once More, it is a song that would truly stand the test of time in a capsule, Karen recorded it what seems like ages ago & it is as fresh today as it was back then. Even the title for this type of experiment is appropriate enough. "Looking back on how it was in years gone by...and the good times that I had....Oh yes!!!

...with Advil in hand....

For me It would be between Superstar and Only Yesterday with the nod going to Superstar. This is Karens best vocal in my opinion and that is coming form a guy who loves all Karens vocals including on her solo songs. Its has been one of my top Carpenters songs since I first herd it when Carpenters came out. I never tire of it and it affects me today as much as it did all those years ago. A perfect vocal from a perfect vocalist I love it! Just one mans opinion. :) :thumbsup: :love: :cool:

KAC Fan 4 Life!!!!

May need several capsules to include all our Carpenters favourites :wink:

Just too tough to select one recording only ..... :sad:

Peter

It would have to be "Its Gonna Take Some Time"

Lovely lyrics, gorgeous arrangement and okay, its my current favourite

:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom