• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters with Carol Burnett on her Special 1991

I taped this special in 1991 on the Super-VHS setting, which was the ‘Cadillac’ of videotape at the time. I was so happy they popped up on the special and they devoted so much time to Carpenters.

It would be great if these are the full-length CAROL BURNETT SHOWs, complete with all music intact. Music rights are just a terror for shows like this, and Carol had many, many musical guest stars and performances. We'll just have to wait and see if these are all-inclusive, or are just the comedy sketches.

It would be great if these are the full-length CAROL BURNETT SHOWs, complete with all music intact. Music rights are just a terror for shows like this, and Carol had many, many musical guest stars and performances. We'll just have to wait and see if these are all-inclusive, or are just the comedy sketches.
The only way we could see complete episodes nowadays is if a TV station aired them as the broadcast rights, especially in the US, would still be in force from the 50’s to 80’s, but digital streaming, that’d be a whole different set of rights that were not negotiated back then (the only way that I could see complete episodes streaming with the original contracts was if it was streamed in Europe and confined to Europe).

Yes. I will be shocked if it's the full, hour-long shows complete with musical numbers. There are "10 seasons" of the show currently on Amazon Prime, but they are the 30-minute "Carol Burnett & Friends" syndicated episodes, not the original broadcast episodes. I'm not sure if these are the same ones that Shout! Factory will be using, but I noticed that the press release carefully avoided using terms like "unedited," "uncut," "full length," etc, and doesn't mention anything about musical guests or the famous big production numbers the show did. Fingers crossed that they surprise us. There are many performances in addition to Carpenters that I would absolutely love to see!

Yes. I will be shocked if it's the full, hour-long shows complete with musical numbers. There are "10 seasons" of the show currently on Amazon Prime, but they are the 30-minute "Carol Burnett & Friends" syndicated episodes, not the original broadcast episodes. I'm not sure if these are the same ones that Shout! Factory will be using, but I noticed that the press release carefully avoided using terms like "unedited," "uncut," "full length," etc, and doesn't mention anything about musical guests or the famous big production numbers the show did. Fingers crossed that they surprise us. There are many performances in addition to Carpenters that I would absolutely love to see!
I was just looking up the show’s history, and apparently for years the first 5 seasons of the show were held up in legalities between Burnett and a production company that originally produced the show between 1967 & 1972. So only the later seasons from 1973-1979 were available. So, because of legalities, those cutdown versions are probably the only ones readily available. But as I said previously, the only place that you are likely to see a complete run is on broadcast TV, or in streaming in Europe because of what the European courts have ruled on for music in older shows. With the Carpenters, I think it was their 1972 appearance that included a medley. If they can’t clear a song in that medley, I doubt they would release the medley, unless they edited the song. And if the edit doesn’t work, then it wouldn’t work.

I was just looking up the show’s history, and apparently for years the first 5 seasons of the show were held up in legalities between Burnett and a production company that originally produced the show between 1967 & 1972. So only the later seasons from 1973-1979 were available. So, because of legalities, those cutdown versions are probably the only ones readily available. But as I said previously, the only place that you are likely to see a complete run is on broadcast TV, or in streaming in Europe because of what the European courts have ruled on for music in older shows. With the Carpenters, I think it was their 1972 appearance that included a medley. If they can’t clear a song in that medley, I doubt they would release the medley, unless they edited the song. And if the edit doesn’t work, then it wouldn’t work.
On both of their appearances (Sept.71 & Jan, 72) , they performed medleys with Carol Burnett. First time they did a medley of Burt Bacharach tunes and second time was the Paul Williams medley.

Back
Top Bottom