• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Casey Kasem's American Top 40 Show Rebroadcasts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesj75

Remember when days would pass before anyone responded to a single thread?... Nice to see all this renewed interest and participation! :)

Anyway, as mentioned in a current thread ("Heard Carpenters"), Casey Kasem's American Top 40 shows from the 1970s are being broadcast here and there. As I mentioned in another thread, 105.9 Sunny FM-Orlando airs Kasem's show every Sunday morning, 7 to 10 AM, and this show can be enjoyed over the Internet: http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/1059-sunny-fm. Most shows are from the 1970s, so there is a great chance to hear the Carpenters as well as Kasem's anecdotes about them and the chart action of their hits! During each broadcast, the week being featured is listed at the radio station's website.

And here is the link to a website containing Casey Kasem's American Top 40 shows:
http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/regindexck.html. This website contains dates from July 4, 1970 (the debut show) through August 6, 1988 (Casey's final show). Click onto any date, and you are taken to the list of the top 40 songs in the United States from that particular week (as determined by Billboard Magazine), from 40 to 1!

I am extremely grateful to hear these shows because (1) they present a prime opportunity to hear the Carpenters; and (2) they are enjoyable, informative, and nostalgic. And I am old enough to have enjoyed them the first time around... On a related note, I believe the liner notes of the first Carpenters' compilation (The Singles: 1969-1973) contains a line about "who can remember a sunny day at the beach without them" (Carpenters). I spent many a Sunday at Florida's west coast beaches during the 1970s, enjoying Kasem's show --- and Carpenters' music!

The AT40 shows are also played on Sirius XM radio. I'm not sure about the other decades, but the 70s station plays a show on Saturday at 8:00 am (pacific time) and I think they play one on Wednesday as well. The commercials and (inexplicably, but thankfully) the "Long Distance Dedications" are trimmed out.

What's cool is they play a show that closely matches the current date, so you can hear what was going on on THIS date all those years ago. :thumbsup:

Great post James!!

I just wanted to say that I opened some of the pages to that link and keep saying...Oh I remember that song and that one and that one. So many of these I always loved from the 70's and never bought them. For instance I always loved Roberta Flack's voice and from your link I saw her popular song back then called, "Where is the Love" with Donny Hathaway and said Oh I remember that song on the radio and loved it. So I just bought her album on iTunes called, The Best of Roberta Flack, it has all her hits like, Killing Me Softly, Making Love, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and Set The Night To Music. I remember all these from the radio and forgot how much I love these tracks and her voice. There is a cool song called, And So It Goes from this album and I never heard it before but I really like it.

Thanks James...I'm now $14.00 poorer....:laugh: just kidding. This is money well spent, you just bought the 70's back for me tonight.

The AT40 shows are also played on Sirius XM radio. I'm not sure about the other decades, but the 70s station plays a show on Saturday at 8:00 am (pacific time) and I think they play one on Wednesday as well. The commercials and (inexplicably, but thankfully) the "Long Distance Dedications" are trimmed out.

What's cool is they play a show that closely matches the current date, so you can hear what was going on on THIS date all those years ago. :thumbsup:

I believe they replay the show on Sundays as well. I love tuning in. My parents were born in '50 and '51 and grew up during the 60's and 70's. My sis came along in '69 (born the day after the Carpenters signed with A&M). I didn't come around til '77. But music was always in our home...good music. Those decades are chocked full of what I believe is the best music America made. With Sirius replaying the 70's AT40 broadcasts, it gives me a chance to hear what I missed. I enjoy it each time I listen! :D

Great post James!!

I just wanted to say that I opened some of the pages to that link and keep saying...Oh I remember that song and that one and that one. So many of these I always loved from the 70's and never bought them. For instance I always loved Roberta Flack's voice and from your link I saw her popular song back then called, "Where is the Love" with Donny Hathaway and said Oh I remember that song on the radio and loved it. So I just bought her album on iTunes called, The Best of Roberta Flack, it has all her hits like, Killing Me Softly, Making Love, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and Set The Night To Music. I remember all these from the radio and forgot how much I love these tracks and her voice. There is a cool song called, And So It Goes from this album and I never heard it before but I really like it.

Thanks James...I'm now $14.00 poorer....:laugh: just kidding. This is money well spent, you just bought the 70's back for me tonight.

Thank you, Chris! Now don't go into debt!! But you make my point perfectly. The AT40 website as well as these radio broadcasts are a treasure trove of information and instant nostalgia. I have found myself getting lost in these lists (and these shows).

Some insights I have gained: There is a reawakening or reprompting of awesome musical memories, as you found with Roberta Flack's music. Speaking of Flack, this past Sunday's show was from March 29, 1975, and Casey Kasem mentioned that for 3 consecutive years (1972-1974), Flack hit No. 1 with "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," "Killing Me Softly With His Song," and "Feel Like Makin' Love," respectively.

I am also learning about songs I never knew existed, minor hits, if you will, that I somehow missed during their chart runs, for instance, minor hits by Michael Jackson, Ringo Starr, and James Brown. Some radio shows do features on "Lost 70s" music. With these lists (and shows), you have access to these "lost" songs. One example, hokey though it may be: This past Sunday, I heard "Bertha Butt Boogie," a weird novelty song by the Jimmy Castor Bunch. I hadn't heard this song since my angst-filled high school days. Maybe that's a good thing...:)

But, getting back to the Carpenters, it is so nice to hear their music and Kasem's insights on them and their chart runs. Let's "keep reaching for the stars!"

Thanks for this post, James.

They really did dominate the charts, didn't they. Their number two hits STAYED at number two for weeks. . .it must have been so infuriating for them to see "Begun" stay there for 4 weeks, "Rainy Days" for 2 weeks, "Superstar" for 2 weeks, "Hurting" for 2 weeks, and "Yesterday" for 1 week. . . always just missing the top spot.

Perhaps the most maddening thing for them is that each time there product was up against MONSTER SMASHES, Begun kept of the top by Jackson 5's "I'll Be There", "Rainy Days" by Carole King's "It's too Late", "Superstar" by Rod Stewart's "Maggie May", and "Hurting" by Nilsson's "Without You". If those singles had been released a couple of weeks either way they'd have reached the top (but of course, 20/20 and all that).

I was never around when the duo held court in radio land, and my peers mostly have a foggy knowledge of the group's music, but looking at these lists, My God they were popular. You can see how difficult for them things must have been when the TOP 20's stopped happening in '76. . . .and how delighted they must have been when "Touch Me" got them back up there in mid 81.

Thanks for this post, James.

They really did dominate the charts, didn't they. Their number two hits STAYED at number two for weeks. . .it must have been so infuriating for them to see "Begun" stay there for 4 weeks, "Rainy Days" for 2 weeks, "Superstar" for 2 weeks, "Hurting" for 2 weeks, and "Yesterday" for 1 week. . . always just missing the top spot.

Perhaps the most maddening thing for them is that each time there product was up against MONSTER SMASHES, Begun kept of the top by Jackson 5's "I'll Be There", "Rainy Days" by Carole King's "It's too Late", "Superstar" by Rod Stewart's "Maggie May", and "Hurting" by Nilsson's "Without You". If those singles had been released a couple of weeks either way they'd have reached the top (but of course, 20/20 and all that).

I was never around when the duo held court in radio land, and my peers mostly have a foggy knowledge of the group's music, but looking at these lists, My God they were popular. You can see how difficult for them things must have been when the TOP 20's stopped happening in '76. . . .and how delighted they must have been when "Touch Me" got them back up there in mid 81.

Thank you, Neil! And thanks for the information about the Carpenters' experience with the No. 2 position. I agree with your assessments!

When you think of "We've Only Just Begun," in particular, it's almost criminal that it wasn't a No. 1 song. Incidentally, a while back, I bought a book, The Billboard Book of No. 2 Singles (by Christopher G. Feldman; available at Amazon.com); it is a fun and interesting reference.

Billboard has produced many books on their charts over the years. Another one I would highly recommend is Billboard's Hottest Hot 100 Hits, 3rd edition (by Fred Bronson; also available at Amazon.com). Among many other interesting features, this latter publication includes a list of the Top 20 Carpenters' hits as well as lists of the Top 100 hits from each year (1956-2001); there is at least one later edition. This book is similar to perusing the above website on Casey Kasem's American Top 40 shows. And these sources have proven invaluable to me when I make music compilations for personal use.

Holy crap at the stuff you'll learn!!! :idea:

Jamesj75, I finally had a chance to visit the AT40 show link that you provided in your first post. Casey Kasem's first AT40 show debuted on 7/4/70 seven years and a week before I was born. According to the links, they used the 7/11 charts for the 7/4 and 7/11 dates show dates. On 7/4, "Close To You" was at #7. On 7/11, #3 and 7/18, it hit the big one…#1!!! :uhhuh: Thank you so much for sharing this!

I'm still bitter that the #1 the week I was born was Shaun Cassidy's "Da Doo Ron Ron". Much to my chagrin, I've known that for awhile. :thmbdn: I like to think it was the Carpenter's version and substitute it! HA! However, I do take solace in the #2 that week. Manilow's "Looks Like We Made It". :righton:

And now I know that SEVEN years before I was born (I'm not sure why I'd never made the connection :freak:), "Close To You" was a smash. :love:

Holy crap at the stuff you'll learn!!! :idea:

Jamesj75, I finally had a chance to visit the AT40 show link that you provided in your first post. Casey Kasem's first AT40 show debuted on 7/4/70 seven years and a week before I was born. According to the links, they used the 7/11 charts for the 7/4 and 7/11 dates show dates. On 7/4, "Close To You" was at #7. On 7/11, #3 and 7/18, it hit the big one…#1!!! :uhhuh: Thank you so much for sharing this!

I'm still bitter that the #1 the week I was born was Shaun Cassidy's "Da Doo Ron Ron". Much to my chagrin, I've known that for awhile. :thmbdn: I like to think it was the Carpenter's version and substitute it! HA! However, I do take solace in the #2 that week. Manilow's "Looks Like We Made It". :righton:

And now I know that SEVEN years before I was born (I'm not sure why I'd never made the connection :freak:), "Close To You" was a smash. :love:
Hi Natesmommy77! Thank you for your input and your contagious enthusiasm! :)

I'm glad you had the chance to check out that site and explore some trivia therein. I get such a rush reviewing these lists. By the way, we are sympatico in that we also like Barry Manilow. I guess we both have terrific tastes! Barry is awesome! I've had the chance to see him in concert 3 times; it's great that he is still performing. It would have been nice if Karen and Barry had done a duet...

James,

Karen and Barry would've been great together. And yes, we DO have terrific music tastes. :uhhuh: I would love to see Bar in concert some time. I wonder if Karen was still living if her and Richard would still be at it?

Amy :)

James,

Karen and Barry would've been great together. And yes, we DO have terrific music tastes. :uhhuh: I would love to see Bar in concert some time. I wonder if Karen was still living if her and Richard would still be at it?

Amy :)

Amy, there are several others on my unfulfilled wish list of Karen's duet partners, including Barry. Barry has an entire CD of duets; how I wish a track with Karen had been recorded. Of course, as we know, Barry and the Carpenters separately recorded three duplicate songs: "Can't Smile Without You," "Where Do I Go From Here," and "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again." So the foundation was there...

I believe you mentioned in another thread that you wish David Gates had recorded a duet with Karen. I totally agree. They were contemporaries with similar musical styles. I also get the chill factor in many Bread songs, including (as you mentioned elsewhere) "Lost Without Your Love." I love the Bread ballads, but I am also fond of "Took the Last Train." And here is a weird association: Rumer, who many believe sounds a lot like Karen, recorded Gates' "Goodbye Girl."

I thought I would also post here about Casey Kasem's passing... Sad news, indeed, although I had been keeping up with news reports of his failing health... It is somewhat poetic that he passed on a Sunday morning, as his weekly radio show aired at that time. This morning, before learning of his death, I was listening to a rebroadcast of his American Top 40 program (on a local FM station, link in first post of this thread, above), from this week in 1975: no Carpenters in this one, but Captain & Tennille at #2 with "Love Will Keep Us Together." There are, and will continue to be, many fine tributes to this great man. RIP, Casey...

James, bravo for the links above.
I am old enough (!) to remember when the Carpenters music was all over the radio dial.
All the more reason that America needs to be reminded of this fantastic musical heritage; the
consistent/continual downplaying , on 'oldies' radio stations, of the prominent place of Carpenters' music
in the 1970's, still makes absolutely no sense to me (even though I am now familiar with the reason,
audience testing, and all that).
Against so many monster groups of the 1970's, Carpenters held their own and produced hit after hit,
as well as spectacular albums.
American Top 40,indeed.

The best thing about the old AT 40 shows for me is the first parts of the shows, #40 through about #15. That's where you hear the minor hits, lots of songs that were forgotten because they didn't make the top 10. More than once I've gone and bought a CD or a download just from hearing a long-forgotten song on AT40 that only got to #23 or whatever.

Does anyone know how the close connection with the Carpenters evolved seeing that Casey was a participant in Karen's wedding? Saw photos of him at the event but never heard why he was invited and was he considered a friend of the duo or just Karen individually. I know he was not there on Tom Burris's behalf.

You are all correct. Casey lived one floor down from Karen at her condo building in Century City. He mentioned the day of Karen's passing that he and Richard enjoyed quizzing each other on pop music trivia whenever they would bump into each other in the building. He described Karen as 'warm, humane and generous person'. Casey was also a member of Karen's wedding party as an usher.

I thought I would provide an update on the latest rebroadcast of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 show (which I heard this morning on a central Florida station, linked in the first post in this thread). Today's show was from August 12, 1972. At #12 was fan favorite "Goodbye to Love," which Casey introduced by stating that Karen Carpenter "is the Patti Page of the 70s." I suppose they share similar styles... Casey further mentioned that the song was at #12 in just its fourth week in the top 40. As we all know, it ended up peaking at #7.

It's worth noting that the song was not played in its entirety, although much of Tony Peluso's sterling closing guitar performance was featured. Further, "Goodbye to Love" was sandwiched in between Donna Fargo's "The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA" (#13; former country #1) and Harry Nilsson's "Coconut" (#11). At #14 was the Osmonds' "Hold Her Tight," a song with which I was previously unfamiliar. If you think the Carpenters "went hard rock" in 1972, you should hear the Osmonds' "Hold Her Tight!" I provide these details to illustrate the striking diversity of hit music, played side by side, during the 1970s. How I miss those times...:cool:

Last edited:
So today's rebroadcast of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 show was from September 26, 1970. "(They Long to Be) Close to You" was still on the chart (at #31). "We've Only Just Begun" entered the top 40 at #18!! I guess I never knew that piece of trivia... Kasem also mentioned that "We've Only Just Begun" was already #1 in Los Angeles. And yet, somehow, incredibly, it failed to reach #1 on the U.S. Billboard pop chart. Okay, 4 weeks at #2 ain't bad, but this Carpenters' signature song, called a blueprint for the pop ballad, gold record, wedding song for more than one generation, a Grammy Hall of Fame inductee, should easily and undoubtedly have been #1!

James, you are absolutely correct in your assessment of the situation regarding "We've Only Just Begun".
The fellow who wrote the liner notes for the Reader's Digest Finest Hits And Performances Compilation
(and, his name eludes me now...as I am away from my source material) had much to say
on his (now defunct?) blogspot concerning Carpenters' Number Two's.....and speculation as to why those twos were not Ones...
As they rightfully should have been!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom