• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Charity Brown on A&M (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I heard a song called "Saving All My Love" by singer Charity Brown back in 1975. The station that I heard the song was AM 630 CFCO in Chatham, Ontario. I think that the song shouldv'e been a hit in the United States. I would like to know why did A&M refused to released it. They also play "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me)" (the Kim Weston song later covered by the Doobie Brothers) & "You Beat Me To The Punch" (the late Mary Wells remake). She was also in a group called Rain who had a big hit in Canada called "Out Of My Mind" back in 1971. For more on Charity Brown, go to: www.canoe.ca/jam & go to the Pop Encyclopedia on the left screen & hit the letter "B" and scroll down the list to find the name Charity Brown. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

AM Matt said:
I heard a song called "Saving All My Love" by singer Charity Brown back in 1975. The station that I heard the song was AM 630 CFCO in Chatham, Ontario. I think that the song shouldv'e been a hit in the United States. I would like to know why did A&M refused to released it. They also play "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me)" (the Kim Weston song later covered by the Doobie Brothers) & "You Beat Me To The Punch" (the late Mary Wells remake). She was also in a group called Rain who had a big hit in Canada called "Out Of My Mind" back in 1971. For more on Charity Brown, go to: www.canoe.ca/jam & go to the Pop Encyclopedia on the left screen & hit the letter "B" and scroll down the list to find the name Charity Brown. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

AM 630 CFCO in Chatham, Ontario Hey, that's MY station, too!!! :badteeth:

Yeah, I've been to The Canadian Artsists Website, too. Thought of a few more I should look up...Bobby Cretola(?) is at least one of them. Then I'm wondering who the artist or group is that made that song with these words, "Some Sing, Some Dance, Some Make-A Romance...I Just Love..."??? I would love to try and get that one.

I had '45's of Charity's hits, too. "Take Me In Your Arms", "Savin' All My Love, Savin' It For You Baby" and "You Beat Me To The Punch"--all Double-Sided White-Label Promo's, bought for a Buck, apiece! :goofygrin:

Dave

Dave said:
Yeah, I've been to The Canadian Artsists Website, too. Thought of a few more I should look up...Bobby Cretola(?) is at least one of them. Then I'm wondering who the artist or group is that made that song with these words, "Some Sing, Some Dance, Some Make-A Romance...I Just Love..."??? I would love to try and get that one.

The song "Some Sing, Some Dance" was recorded by Michel Pagliaro. The chorus goes "Some sing, some dance, some like romance, I love lovin'" (like is pronounced with two syllables "lik-e"). I wish I had that record too! BTW, it's Bobby Curtola.

Murray
...who wonders whatever happened to Charity Brown...

Murray said:
The song "Some Sing, Some Dance" was recorded by Michel Pagliaro. The chorus goes "Some sing, some dance, some like romance, I love lovin'" (like is pronounced with two syllables "lik-e"). I wish I had that record too! BTW, it's Bobby Curtola.

Murray
...who wonders whatever happened to Charity Brown...

Thanks! I should look for that single or maybe the album by Pagliaro. Curtola, I'm just as much into, however. Though his "Fortune Teller" and "Three Rows Over and Two Seats Down" have that nice Bobby Vee quality to 'em.

Dave

...wondering what happened to a lot of 'em... :?: :|

1) Back in the pre-Ebay days I won, in a "Goldmine" auction a copy of A&M SP 9029 THE BEST OF CHARITY BROWN (released 1977). Nice soulful sound. It contains:

Side One: Take Me in Your Arms/ Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady/ Stay With Me/ Saving All My Love/ Hold on Baby/ Playboy;

Side Two: Anyway You Want/ All the Things You Told Me/ Jimmy Mack/ You Beat Me to the Punch/ Ain't No Hurt Love Can't Heal/ Forecast (Heartbreak, Pain & Tears).

2) With Sheryl Crow's version of the Cat Stevens compositoin "The First Cut (Is the Deepest)" getting lots of radio airplay, it reminded me of another A&M-Canada album in the home collection.
This one's THE FIRST CUT by Keith Hampshire (SP 9006, released 1973). 12 tracks, including the Stevens cover.
Somewhere around here are a couple of his U.S. A&M 45s.
Need to give these a spin.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom