• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CHEAPER BOX SET THROUGH JAPANCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Well, I said I wouldn't do it, but I've caved in and bought the 35th anniversary box-set. Mainly because I've realized that you save around 100 british pounds through CDJAPAN, or whatever it is, it's the last post on the 35th anniversary box set forum. If I'd purchased it through Amazon it would have cost me 290 pounds as opposed to 190. I know there's probably even cheaper ways, but 200 I can excuse, 300 is just silly

Looking forward to those sleeves and notes (they are in english by the way, please tell me they are,

Neil

Yep. I did the same thing this morning after reading that HMV is already listing it as out-of-print. I went right to the CDJapan link and ordered it. I figured the price worked out to about $22 per album - not TOO bad for a Japanese import.

I'm fairly sure that the audio is no differemt from what I've got, but after missing the '90s British set and then the more recent Japanese set, I didn't want to let another one pass by.

Harry
...not wanting to feel left out, online...

Good on ya, Harry.

We can piss our money away together. God I'm looking forward to seeing those dinky sleeves. Pathetic, ain't it.

Neil

Hey, thanks for the info for that. I couldn't resist, I too just ordered the box set :rolleyes:

The New Zealand dollar is very good at the moment, so that can be my excuse! :D

Laura

How much does this come out to be for the box set from this website? Total w shipping & tax? to the U.S.? They seem to be the cheapest. Are they safe to order from?

hey chris,

I ordered it with the fastest possible shipping....so much for putting my obsessive compulsion behind me for the new year, and it came out to be 315 usd. I suppose I took a chance but it seems pretty reliable, sending me an e-mail for first registering and then another as a confirmation note. It's supposed to take 5-8 days to get here, so we'll wait and see.

Hope this helps, and as with my New Zealand friend, the pound is good against the us dollar at present.

Happy shopping Chris,

Neil

CDJapan is reliable. I've ordered from them before, and often their prices are better than comparable items at HMV Japan.

From my confirmation email (where I took standard shipping):

CD Japan said:
Subtotal: 27,000 Yen
Shipping: (EMS) 4,000 Yen
Registered Airmail: 0 Yen
Handling: 1,550 Yen
----------------------
Tax 0 Yen
Total 32,550 Yen
Total 309.42 US $
(US Dollar amount is shown only for your reference at the
current exchange rate of $1 = 105.20 yen. The charging will
be processed in the Japanese yen stated above.)

So, to be exact, with 13 albums included, it works out to $23.80 per album. That's still not bad for a new Japanese import - and the box, handkerchief, and booklet have to be worth something, right?

Right?...

Harry
...trying to rationalize this irrational purchase, online...

One last post before I decide to order, Will this site tell me if the price will be higher than your's based on the going yen? Or will it just process the order at whatever it is & then tell you after the order is processed what the total is?

Just don't want to be suprised if it's 25.00 more than what you paid, based on yen.

Thanks

It all depends on the timing of when they post the transaction to your credit card account. Currency fluctuations are not usually that severe in a short time, so the difference might only be pennies.

The example they gave above was probably an average quote on what the value of the Dollar to the Yen is. As I said it changed from day-to-day, hour-to-hour, but usually not that severely.

At this exact moment, according to Universal Currency Converter:

1.00 USD
United States Dollars = 107.549 JPY Japan Yen

Harry
...who really had a 'yen' to own this set, online...

Actually, I'm checking prices of a few A&M/CTi discs. :wink: And the Mendes titles I don't have yet. 1,748 yen...not at all bad I think.

Well, I couldn't resist, I ordered from this site. My email says the same price as Harry. Sure seems like a decent price compared to amazon. I'm anxious to get this new box set.

I am also excited in the fact to get An Old Fashioned Christmas on CD by itself. I have a couple of the other Mini LP Style CD's from the first box set & I was really impressed with the sound quality in these Japan Cd's so I am extra excited with this purchase.

If this order process goes smoothly, I see that they have Treasures for only US $33.22 vs Amazon at $47.00, so I may just have to order this also after I get the box set. :wink:

Am I the only person who ISN'T ordering the box set :?: I just built a new computer, and my car insurance is due in a week, so there's just no way that I can swing another C$400+ at this time for the box set. :cry:

I wonder why Universal Japan made so few of the sets? There is obviously a lot of demand for them, since many stores have already sold out their allotment, and there won't be enough for everyone who wants one. If they would have still been available a few months from now, then I would have been able to afford one. :mad:

Oh well... The 30th Anniversary set had 11 CDs. This 35th Anniv. set has 13. Maybe, in five years time, there will be a 40th Anniv. set with all these albums, PLUS "Live In Japan" and "Live At The Palladium"!? If there is, then count me in! :wink:

Murray
...feeling left out...

You're not the only one, Murray. I, too, am not going to get it. I can empathize completely! Too bad we can't order it a few albums at a time!

Marilyn,
who thinks just the liner notes are worth their weight in gold!

I wanted to NOT get this set. The last thing I really needed was another set of Carpenters album CDs - I've already got two complete sets from the original '80s issues and the '98 remasters plus countless compilations.

It wasn't until I saw some pictures on an eBay ad of just what was in this set - the mini LP jackets, the replicated original innersleeves, and the mimicking of the original album labels on the CD - that really spoke to the A&M geek in me and I had to have it.

The liner notes I'm sure will be the gravy that makes it all worthwhile.

Gee, and in 30 days - another compilation comes out!

Harry
...making more room in the "C's" on his shelves, online...

Harry, where is this link you saw, I'd like to see the ad. Did you mean that the original artwork inserts are exactly like the original Lp's? But wasn't the 11 CD Box Set the same thing?

I also wonder if the Offering artwork is the same as the original offering LP or is it the Ticket to Ride cover?

If prices are any indication look at this ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2587664948&category=1573

Even at the starting bid, this is still higher price than CDJapan with shipping. Look at the buy it now :shock: . I'd be curious to see how this one goes.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Harry, where is this link you saw, I'd like to see the ad. Did you mean that the original artwork inserts are exactly like the original Lp's? But wasn't the 11 CD Box Set the same thing?

The links to the pictures are gone - the auction expired and the owner removed the pictures from online. I suppose it IS the same as the 11-CD box - but I didn't get that one - nor did I ever see a picture. Pictures are very powerful means of advertising! You said you have some of the mini-LP styled discs, so you'd be in a better position to answer that question. Unless those that you got were not broken up from a set (?).

I also wonder if the Offering artwork is the same as the original offering LP or is it the Ticket to Ride cover?

I believe it is the original OFFERING cover - not TICKET TO RIDE.

Harry
...on a very cold Sunday morning, online...

Harry said:
You said you have some of the mini-LP styled discs, so you'd be in a better position to answer that question. Unless those that you got were not broken up from a set?

I have 2 from the 11 cd box set, They were still sealed but obviously split up. The artwork is not exactly the same, for instance:

On Voice of the Heart, (on the 11 CD Box Set) the inside jacket is just a flip booket that contains the lyrics but does not have the B&W photo of Richard & Karen with Karen having the white hat on. So the original artwork inside is not the same. In addition to the photo not being there the lyric is also not there "Few are the choices we are given, the sands of time pass quickly by"

On my original VOTH LP, it has the lyrics on one side & that big B&W photo I descibed above on the other.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I have 2 from the 11 cd box set, They were still sealed but obviously split up. The artwork is not exactly the same

Chris --

If your mini-LP-style CDs don't have all the original artwork and packaging, then they aren't from the 11-CD box set. Each of the original 11 Carpenters LPs was available separately in a mini-LP sleeve in 1998; in fact, four or five of them are still in print and available from online retailers.
Another hint that yours are not from the box set is that you say they were still sealed -- the CDs in the box weren't sealed individually, only the outer box was sealed.

I bought the TICKET TO RIDE mini-LP individually, just because it was an oddity (not being in the box set). I bought a couple of others, just because the mini-LP sleeves are cool looking. I was disappointed, though, that the non-limited-edition ones (not from the box set) didn't contain the reproduction inner sleeves, so I stopped buying after a couple.

David

Thank You David, either this was never explained before or I just didn't get it.

In any case now I understand. I thought that mine actually came from a split up box set. I didn't know that they were sold seperatly also and that the separate ones were different to the boxed set. Sorry folks I can't keep up with all this.

...whose looking forward to his new 13 CD Box Set soon, online...

They confirmed my order also but I am concerned that they have enough. I will really be let down if they say they ran out. Wonder how long it takes to confirm they actually have them.

I'm praying that they don't run out. I wasn't going to buy this set originally, but couldn't help myself :)

I got a confirmation email from cdjapan...but am waiting for the confirmation shipping email. Fingers crossed they still have plenty left for us.

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom