• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Difference between the box set and 35th anniversary box set

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I went to cduniverse.com and I found that there is a box set with the 11 albums that costs $340 and then there is the 35th anniversary box set for $410. What is the difference? Is the cheaper one just like the one released in 1998?

I believe they are identical except that the 35th set (to be released Christmas eve, the last I heard) contains two extra albums, the Christmas albums. Essentially then, with their price of $410 and 13 albums, the cost comes to about $31.54 per album, near standard pricing for Japanese-only imports.

Here's a picture from a current eBay ad for the 30th anniversary set. I like the details in the packaging, right down to the innersleeve design:

5f_1.JPG

Harry
...wondering if he really NEEDS this package, online...

My, but the price on this set is high! As much as I'd like to have it, it's way out of my range!

Thanks, Andrew and Harry for the info. I think Yuka can get it somewhat cheaper, but it's still too high for this fan!

Marilyn :sad:

It's a bit cheaper at direct-from-Japan sources like Yuka, or HMV or cdjapan. With shipping it ends up at around $300 US from those sources.

Harry
...still thinking this one over, online...

Accordingly, Richard replaced the original Ave Maria by Karen alone with an augmented version by a 48-voice choir.
So it's different from what came out in 1978 on vinyl and on cd later in Germany though it is the way Richard originally wanted to include the OK chorale on the song.

In 1984 in London while recording An Old Fashioned Christmas, Richard prepared this newly recorded chorus to Ave Maria but what happened to the misplaced 1978 chorus?

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/um3/boxset/

The 30th version cost 28,032 yen with 11 original cds and the 35th version costs 28,350 yen with 2 additional Christmas cds.

Looking at that photo makes me realize what great packaging "Hush" has!
The sunset CD (label on the original vinyl album) is just beautiful. I always thought this album had the visual elegance that was captured sonicly on "Horizon".
Mark

I'm also fond of this image on A Kind Of Hush.
It's beautiful and I stared at the front and back and the label pictures
and I noticed something different.

Now look at the front pic and you'll see shades of a tree over Karen and Richard so you can see them through the window without the sunlight reflex. You see something shining above Karen's head, too.

Turn it over and you see the back of the jacket.
I thought there was something like a tree before the window and also the sun!
You see no trees and an earth in the sky. Strange but beautiful pictures are they!

I remember the picture flame was at the Downey house with no pics of Richard and Karen.

I've always thought of the two Christmas albums are supposed to be included in this collection.

How about The Singles 1969-1973 and The Singles 1974-1978 or two live albums?

Is this collection going to grow bigger?

Compadre's,

I may be the last person on this forum to obtain this 35th ann. set. Thought I'd have it earlier...circumstance's said different. Now my question is this: After many of you have had this collection for a while, do you still feel that it was worth the $300 and some odd smackers? I have a $50.00 hold on my set and I vacillate on acquiring this. I'd be interested to know if this is truly a "must have" or simply a nice accent to a collection? Your comments could prove to be economically decisive.

Thank you,

Jeff

I do not regret this purchase at all. I have the 35th Box Set version. Having now had the time to really listen to them, I'm glad I spent the money. The artwork in creating these little Lp's are incredible, there are alot of little details. There seems to be only 1 Cd that I am not that happy about regarding sound quality, the rest are pretty good. In fact I have the Christmas Portrait in my car now & this morning was listening to this, it has excellent clarity & sounds great.

There is something about finally having all the CD's in a collection format that are the originals. It was a bonus for me also because I was never one that collected all the US Remastered Cd's (I have 1 or 2) so I was also glad to get this box set knowing that there all digitally re-mastered from original versions.

Of course the black book inside was also a great addition for me to read Richard's notes. Something I always like to do.

...still wondering what to do with that hankerchief, online....

No,

I did not acquire the 30th box. Unfortunately at the time I had no knowledge of the release. Are you saying that if this is the case I should make said purchase? Clearly I would like to have it. Just curious what the gang thought of their purchases.

Without A Song,

Jeff

raz42289 said:
I think that is a must have. To have the CDs almost exactly like the original LPs is just so exciting! :)

But not as exciting as spinning the original LPs! :D

Murray
...who prefers his artwork in full size (easier on these aging eyes)... :wink:

Yes, I agree that this is a must have for all Carpenters' fans. Nice to have "Offering" with the original jacket! Also, the original inserts are a nice touch and addition to the collection. It is definitely worth the price of 27,000 Yen that I paid for at HMV.

Yessiree!

That is precisely the feed-back this Pacific Northwesterner was hoping for! It's a done deal. Two weeks and jackpot! Will post review when available.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom