• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's going with an independent release then any date can be used, for sure. Looking forward to it -- and Sergio posted a picture on Facebook about musicians getting together to start working on HIS next album. These two guys just don't want to stop, which is awesome!

We'll "officially" endorse it here at the Corner when I get a review copy. Like the others over the past 20 years, though, I won't hold my breath.

I have three "albums" ordered on CD that are all set for release on September 25: new albums by Don Henley, Shawn Colvin, and Herb Alpert (actually two copies of the Alpert album). When I originally saw the date, I presumed it was to make completely sure the release got in queue for forthcoming Grammy consideration. One remembers, of course, the famous screw up years ago of the Frank Sinatra's record company on the two album Trilogy recording...

Sept. 25 is an odd release day, being a Friday and not the traditional Tuesday release day.

I need to ask around and see if anyone knows which plant is pressing the vinyl copy of this LP. Some of the vinyl collectors would be interested in this title. Same ones would also appreciate a few of the popular TJB or solo recordings on vinyl also, but 1) they'd likely be digitally sourced, which is not optimum and 2) I doubt it will happen. This year, 2015, would have been absolutely 110% perfect to reissue Whipped Cream in a limited edition, 180 gram vinyl pressing, on colored vinyl even. Would have sold a crapton of them, especially on Record Store Day.

Too late now... :shrug:

I hope they organize it a bit better. Trying to find something, like a particular album or photo, is like looking for a needle in a haystack. It's just a big hodgepodge, apparently just randomly placed in there at the time of entry, which was sporadic. If they'd put everything in chronological order, alphabetical order or categorized by 'solo' or 'TJB', something... it would make more sense. Just sayin'.

Hi Everyone- The current website was in place when I first started with "Steppin' Out". I too, like just about everyone else, am not a fan of this website. However, we have been working on an easy to use, well organized website that will feature the new album, tour and current happenings. There are people working on creating a big historical site in chronological order that will eventually be integrated into this new website. Due to the huge amount of information, photos, videos, press reviews, A&M stuff, etc. this historical site will not be completed for another year. In the mean time we will continue to add a few historical things to this new website once we are up and running. And we are very close to launching. Thanks, randy

Kind of surprising to learn (from the interview) that Lani is not on this album, and Herb didn't do the artwork either. I'm glad he is changing it up with each release.

I have a feeling the release date will change, since Sept. 25 is a Friday. Most new music still comes out on Tuesdays, so look for it either the 22nd or 29th. I'm hoping for the 22nd since we'll be out of town on the 29th - but maybe a listening party at Harry's is in order? :wink:

Hi Mike- For decades records in the US were released on Tuesdays. Often when a record was released in the US it might be released in the UK 2 or 3 or 4 weeks later and might be released in Germany 3-5 weeks later and usually a completely different release schedule in Japan, Korea, Brazil etc. So about a year ago the IFPI voted and decided to adopt a worldwide release day for all records. The day chosen was Friday. So as of mid July 2015, all major record labels around the world release their records worldwide on Friday. Please understand that I set-up Herb Alpert Presents as a worldwide record label. We are distributed through WEA Distributions' independent arm ADA. We operate like a major but still have the A&M independent personal vibe. We deliver the records, art, advertising and promotion the way we want it to be. Not sure if you know that I started packing records and shipping posters when I was just a little kid at 8255 Sunset Blvd before working in the shipping room, art department, sales, merchandising, promotion and the recording studios after school and during summers from 1966 through 1977 at 1416 North LaBrea. So as a young kid I actually kept my eyes and ears open while learning from the best people at each department at A&M. So we now have our own label and are moving forward.. Hope you had a good summer Mike. randy

Sept. 25 is an odd release day, being a Friday and not the traditional Tuesday release day.

I need to ask around and see if anyone knows which plant is pressing the vinyl copy of this LP. Some of the vinyl collectors would be interested in this title. Same ones would also appreciate a few of the popular TJB or solo recordings on vinyl also, but 1) they'd likely be digitally sourced, which is not optimum and 2) I doubt it will happen. This year, 2015, would have been absolutely 110% perfect to reissue Whipped Cream in a limited edition, 180 gram vinyl pressing, on colored vinyl even. Would have sold a crapton of them, especially on Record Store Day.

Too late now... :shrug:

Hi Rudy- As you know there are very, very few pressing plants left and even fewer high quality plants. Generally plants are backed up 3, 4 even 5 months. It is very tough even getting test pressings to check and make changes. There will be a Whipped Cream & Christmas Album released in vinyl in late November. I am working with Barnes & Noble, Amazon and several others to release a bunch of 1960's TJB albums in early 2016. I set up a new record label with worldwide distribution so that we can have full TJB albums available around the world. There are many, many countries that have not had full TJB albums available, analog or digital, for decades. Bernie Grundman who mastered a lot of the TJB records is working with us and is personally cutting the lacquers. We are on it but it is very tough getting consistent good quality with vinyl. Hope you had a good summer. randy

Yes, Randy has a design team on it and he has requested some of my live performance H&L& Band photos. :wink:

Steve has done a fantastic job helping us with many various things. Herb and I are always very appreciative of his help! Thanks again Steve. randy

Wow, these last few posts contain great news. The website re-do will be most welcome. Thanks Randy for all the information and especially for your dedication in getting the TJB music pushed out again. I've always thought that the music had a timeless quality to it, so new generations need to discover it. Exciting stuff.

Also thanks for the info about the Friday release date. I was in the music biz from about 1970 to 2012 with a small store, but have been out of the industry loop somewhat since then so I hadn't heard of that development.

Hey Randy!

Are there any plans to release some of the tunes that were only on 45 during the TJB years? "El Bimbo", "Mexican Drummer Man", etc. Thanks for keeping us informed!

Capt. Bacardi

Wow, these last few posts contain great news. The website re-do will be most welcome. Thanks Randy for all the information and especially for your dedication in getting the TJB music pushed out again. I've always thought that the music had a timeless quality to it, so new generations need to discover it. Exciting stuff.

Also thanks for the info about the Friday release date. I was in the music biz from about 1970 to 2012 with a small store, but have been out of the industry loop somewhat since then so I hadn't heard of that development.

Hi Mike- Interesting to know that you were a real part of the Golden Days of the music days. As you know it is a completely different music business and vibe now days.

As far as the TJB music; Above and beyond everything, I was a little boy sitting in my room hour after hour listening to Going Places, South of the Border, Volume 2, Sounds Like, What Now, Lonely Bull and all of the other early A&M releases so I, like most of you, am a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE TJB/Herb Alpert fan. I know those songs and arrangements better then Herb does. There would be no Rise or Beyond or Puttin' on the Ritz, etc had I not been sitting in front of my mono record player getting a Harvard education listening to those records. So above all I am a fan and my desire is to get this great music out to people and generations who do not even know who Herb is. The only reason I got involved a few years ago with Steppin' Out was to help uncle with this part of his career. I understand both music as well as the old music business and the current music business. I am in a very unique position and I intend to accomplish all that I envision. And, I envision a whole lot. Have a good holiday weekend Mike.

Hey Randy!

Are there any plans to release some of the tunes that were only on 45 during the TJB years? "El Bimbo", "Mexican Drummer Man", etc. Thanks for keeping us informed!

Capt. Bacardi

Hi Captain- I have my hands so full with the current tour (they are in Japan this weekend), the new album release, marketing & promotion as well as the world wide release of the TJB in vinyl, Hi Def, CD & digital that I have not even thought about the singles and other unreleased gems that I have uncovered. My first priority is Come Fly coupled with the catalog. And I must tell you, we are talking about albums that are 50 years old with no original artwork and analog tapes that are falling apart and not many great vinyl pressing plants around, etc etc. A lot of challenges and my goal is to embrace each challenge by ensuring that we put out the best quality sound and art that we can under the limitations that we have. So I personally can really only handle 23 things simultaneously so once I get a few of the really important things moving forward I can refill my plate. I am also remixing other artists' records and already working on songs for the next Herb album.... By the way,, this Come Fly album is FANTASTIC. I am not a hype guy at all and was not really a huge fan of In The Mood but this new album is WONDERFUL. A fantastic selection of new and old songs and really an eclectic mix of styles. But the real gem here is the way Herb sounds. I have never heard him sound better. Truly. Wait till you all hear Take The "A" Train.. Have a good holiday weekend CB...

'n how about "Summertime?"

Hi Richard- It is indeed Summertime here in Los Angeles and I have already remastered, with Bernie Grundman, the HA Summertime album. It is part of the TJB catalog that will be coming in early 2016. I do not have an exact release date as yet because we will be releasing so many albums that I want to ensure that we are ready with the artwork and sound quality on our end before we set a real release date. I just don't want to rush through this in order to make a release date. Hope you have a good holiday weekend Richard. randy

I just want to say that it is really neat (and much appreciated) that someone like Randy Badazz would reply to questions here and otherwise teach us about the ins and ours of the biz. Wanted to issue a salute. I can imagine that it is a lot of work, remastering, website, etc., all in front of composing (sure hope Mr Badazz still contemplates such).

Hope the two albums with Hugh Masekela get re-released, at least digitally! Big fan of them. think I recall Mr Badazz saying he was a fan of them, too.

(And no disrespect to Mr Alpert but I agree with Mr Badazz - wasnt a fan of In The Mood, either!)

All best for the holiday weekend, David

Interesting to know that you were a real part of the Golden Days of the music days. As you know it is a completely different music business and vibe now days.
I still remember when You Smile - The Song Begins came out. At that time we weren't so keen on getting new releases on the release date; within a week or so was the norm. I was waiting anxiously for the new Herb album, and I happened to be in another store in town that also carried music and ... there the album was in their rack. They had it before we did!!! I was a combination of angry and excited. Of course I had to buy it then and there rather than wait for our shipment to come in. Still a good album (except the cover which is pretty bland!).

I'm big-time excited about Summertime getting a release after all this time. It's such a personal-sounding album and it's really grown on me over the years.

Randy, if you wouldn't mind a suggestion -- maybe sometime when Herb has some spare time, he could provide some memories or thoughts about all the great songs that WEREN'T hits. We've all heard the stories behind Tijuana Taxi, What Now My Love and all the rest but I'd love to hear some trivia about the other great tunes like "The Sea Is My Soil," "Wade in the Water," or some of the Sol Lake or Julius Wechter tunes. Just a thought.

Just got an email from Amazon that the vinyl version of Come Fly With Me is being delayed. They're saying November. It will be my Thanksgiving gift to myself.

Now if we could just coax Herb into bringing the tour to Kentucky all would be right with the world...

Thanks for all of the fantastic updates Randy! It's great to see that Herb's not only continuing to press forward with new music, but that his legacy is being so well cared for, especially at a time when so many artists' work has fallen into neglect.

Thank you, Randy! I've never heard Herb sound better. Like you, I sat between two giant speakers and played along on the horn from the time I was a kid. It gave me something creative and rewarding to do at a time when most kids were bored.

Anyway...ANOTHER cut from "Come Fly with Me" is up on iTunes tonight: "Love Affair".

I stopped listening to the previews after hearing "Night Ride." Since it's coming out next week, and it comes out the day before we leave for vacation, I'm hoping it shows up in time for me to get it on the iPod for airplane listening.

Same here. I listened to maybe one or two tracks early on, but will wait for the actual CD. It should arrive Friday from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom