⭐ Official Review [Compilation]: "THE SINGLES, 1969-1981" [SACD]

Which 5.1 Surround and/or 2-Channel Fold Mix Is Your Favorite?

• 1.) "Yesterday Once More"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.) "We've Only Just Begun"

• 3.) "Superstar"

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 4.) "Rainy Days And Mondays"

• 5.) "Goodbye To Love"

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 6.) "I Believe You"

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 7.) "It's Going To Take Some Time"

• 8.) "This Masquerade"

• 9.) "Ticket To Ride"

• 10.) "Top Of The World"

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 11.) "Only Yesterday"

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 12.) "Hurting Each Other"

• 13.) "Please Mr. Postman"

• 14.) "Merry Christmas, Darling"

• 15.) "Sing"

• 16.) "Bless The Beasts and Children"

• 17.) "I Won't Last A Day Without You"

• 18.) "Touch Me When We're Dancing"

• 19.) "For All We Know"

• 20.) "(They Long To Be) Close To You"

• 21.) "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft"

• Total voters
I see that HMV Japan is set to release CarpenterS The Singles '74-'78 on June 25, 2014. In SHM and SACD. Time to dust off the ol debit card again. Oh what fun!

Jeff

I certainly hope you're right, DJN, but I have my doubts. Would LOVE to hear 'All You Get From Love Is A Love Song' in surround!

Remember folks: any new SACD's on the market will almost assuredly not offer surround sound - they will only offer the main stereo mixes in high resolution. And they're not likely to be playable on anything other than SACD-capably players.

It looks like these two are the followups to the promised SINGLES 69-73 SHM-SACD and SHM-CD.

Harry

Hmm - we've got an Oppo BR player at the theatre for when we need to show BRs on the screen -- I'll have to check and see if it'll play them. The thing seems to play almost everything.

Hmm - we've got an Oppo BR player at the theatre for when we need to show BRs on the screen -- I'll have to check and see if it'll play them. The thing seems to play almost everything.
Recent model? I'm pretty sure the BDP-93 and -95 are "universal" players, as the -103 and 105 (which I have) replaced those. BTW, if you ever wanted to see a company with good customer service, Oppo is it. Any time I've emailed for product advice, I've gotten back a helpful reply. I have to say the build quality of mine is incredible; I've never felt a more substantial disc player in my life. Plenty of mass to it to help dampen vibration. My Pioneer was flimsy in comparison (and I didn't realize how nasty it sounded until I replaced it).

Remember folks: any new SACD's on the market will almost assuredly not offer surround sound - they will only offer the main stereo mixes in high resolution. And they're not likely to be playable on anything other than SACD-capably players.

Yep, that's it exactly Surround is dead for SACD--it'd be rare to find one released these days that has a surround mix. Steely Dan's Gaucho was released on SHM-SACD in Japan over the past couple of years and is only two-channel, despite the first SACD (from the early 2000s) having had an Elliot Scheiner surround mix.

But, most (if not all) SACDs today are hybrids, with both CD and SACD layer. Without an SACD player though, you won't hear any improvement.

But, most (if not all) SACDs today are hybrids, with both CD and SACD layer. Without an SACD player though, you won't hear any improvement.

These new Carpenters SACD's (also made of SHM material) are supposedly single "layer" and not playable on CD players. Each title is coming out in three different iterations:

- SHM-SACD. Playable only on SACD players. No CD layer.
- Platinum SHM-CD. Might not play on players that don't handle CD-Rs
- SHM-CD. The basic Super High Material version that should play in all CD players

The two titles listed for the upcoming months are SINGLES 1969-1973 and SINGLES 1974-1978. All should be plain stereo.

Harry

That's odd: just about all SACDs today are hybrid. Guess we won't know until someone gets one in hand and can look for multiple matrix codes, or actually try one in a CD player.

Single-layer SACDs are primarily an antiquity from 1999 or so when they first came out (no surround, no hybrid--reportedly they added both since SACD was a new format and wasn't popular due to its incompatibility and niche market status). For me, it means owning multiple copies of the older titles--holding onto a CD rather than using the SACD to replace it. Multichannel SACDs came along before hybrids though, as I have a few from Legacy that were essentially the quad mixes dumped onto SACD, or the original three-track master put onto left/center/right (such as the second SACD releases of Kind Of Blue and Time Out).

One thing though--a lot of online retailers don't have a clue as to what they are selling, along with some of the labels, so I'd take anything in a listing with a grain of salt (even Amazon). Some sellers have it in their heads that SACD won't play in anything but a SACD player. Buyer beware.

I bought #1 and #3 of Harry's list above....I didn't get the Platinum CD so I hope someone here gets it and can give a run down of how the Platinum SHM sounds compared to the regular SHM CD. If it's spectacular then I may have to get that later if it doesn't go OOP.

I have a feeling all of these will sell out quickly.

Yup....Jeff is correct...it appears there is a new release sched for June 25, 2014 on CDJapan for Carpenters 74-78....ouch it's pricey as well...my poor wallet but I must quench my Carpenters thirst yet again.

2 different releases coming in 2014 with many versions....we are on a winning streak...let's not stop now....

Here is the translation for the notes on the upcoming 74-78 SACD
So this is from a 2014 DSD master using the original UK analog 1978 tape...anyone care to explain that?

Best album in the sequel is [SA-CD ~ SHM specification / paper jacket & Paper Case blockbuster Best album of "Singles 1969-1973", was recorded late hits.Published in 1978.● paper jacket ● commentary lyrics with translation ● Original Release Date was miniature reproduce the latest 2014 DSD master ● U.S. Limited Edition LP that is based on a single-layer ● UK original analog tape: 1978

If the UK has a tape, then it's at least one generation away from the two-channel master for this album in the US. And if you think about it, a "compilation" tape is already at least a generation away from the original two-channel master tape (to which the multitrack tapes were mixed down to), since the individual tracks had to be assembled on one tape as an "album".

If it's the same mastering (likely the case here), all three will essentially sound the same; the SACD will only sound a bit better due to higher resolution. The platinum might sound a hair better, but likely only if you owned like $20,000 in CD playback gear (with external D/A converter and separate power supplies, etc.). IOW, you'd probably need a sick amount of equipment to hear an infinitesimal difference (if any!) between the platinum and the regular CD.

Still, three versions of the same album makes no sense; a single hybrid SACD would cover all three bases. Seems more like they want to milk the collector market on this one.

If the UK has a tape, then it's at least one generation away from the two-channel master for this album in the US.

Since the US never issued SINGLES 1974-1978 and it was essentially a British project (also released in Canada), then this particular "master" might be British - but of course the original recordings had come from the US, didn't they?

My guess is that the SACD will sound more hi-rez - basically smoother - and the others will just sound like the regular CD pretty much. I just looked, since it had been forever since I ordered the brown SINGLES 1969-1973, and found that I'd ordered the SACD and the platinum edition. I figured I already had a regular CD - and two more copies will surely suffice.

I'll see how these sound before committing to the 74-78 set(s).

Harry

I have the SINGLES 1974-1978 CD the back of my CD case says Made in Canada. What will make this SACD release interesting is the song, Happy is included on this release and this song is seldom seen on compilations let alone a Singles 74-78 (was this song that popular in the UK/Canada?

I don't own the LP for Singles 74-78 but wasn't this the LP that had that cool foil/embossed LP cover? I wonder Japan will replicate this with all those details. I'm thinking that this will be a must have purchase just for all the details Japan usually puts into these limited releases.

Yes, the LP was foil/embossed in a shiny gold color. Really neat.

If the Japanese manufacturers come up with that effect, it might indeed be a must buy.

Harry

My guess is that the SACD will sound more hi-rez - basically smoother - and the others will just sound like the regular CD pretty much. I just looked, since it had been forever since I ordered the brown SINGLES 1969-1973, and found that I'd ordered the SACD and the platinum edition. I figured I already had a regular CD - and two more copies will surely suffice.

How long ago was 1969-1973 released?

CdJapan just notified The Singles 69-73 platinum shmcd has shipped. States a 3-6 day delivery.
Jeff

I ordered the 1969-1981 SACD from eBay a couple of weeks ago and it finally arrived tonight. It's used but there's not a scratch on the disc as far as I can tell. I paid a small fortune for it, lol. Needless to say I'm thrilled and can't wait to listen to it! I don't have a SACD player yet, so no multi-channel or high-resolution sound for me yet. I take it the regular old Red Book CD Audio portion of the disc will still sound fantastic.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

I take it the regular old Red Book CD Audio portion of the disc will still sound fantastic.

It should sound just fine. But be aware that only two tracks on the redbook CD layer are updated: "Superstar" and "Top Of The World". Both of those had their new 5.1 remixes fold down to standard stereo.

If you happen to have a higher-level Sony Blu-ray player, it might be compatible with SACD playback. It takes a lot of settings adjustments on that and your system amplifier to get the 5.1 sound, but if you have it, it's worth the effort.

Harry

Thanks, Harry. I might invest in an Oppo Blu Ray player that can play SACDs and also DVD-Audio. I have a few DVD-Audio titles in my collection, but The Singles 1969-1981 is my first ever SACD. I'll be restricted to headphone only listening for now until I move into a bigger place where I can setup a surround sound system.

It should sound just fine. But be aware that only two tracks on the redbook CD layer are updated: "Superstar" and "Top Of The World". Both of those had their new 5.1 remixes fold down to standard stereo.

If you happen to have a higher-level Sony Blu-ray player, it might be compatible with SACD playback. It takes a lot of settings adjustments on that and your system amplifier to get the 5.1 sound, but if you have it, it's worth the effort.

Harry

under divine inspiration I'll treat myself to a surround sound extravaganza featuring CarpenterS and satisfying a grateful Mr Man! I figure having my (excuse me ) aural orgasm is a compliment to the duo and testament to my deepest passion
Uh oh more self disclosure people might talk oYikees!

Last edited:
My eyesight getting worse ? I didn't see an Official Review for Singles 1969-1973.
But here is an interesting bit, just the same:
Graded on a Curve:
The Carpenters,
The Singles: 1969-1973

BY MICHAEL H. LITTLE | JULY 13, 2015
(A Snippet of the end of this lengthy review):
The Carpenters were a great band that appalled hippies and metal heads and hipsters of all stripes, but their songs have stood the test of time and are as lovely as they ever were. Karen Carpenter may not be to everybody’s taste, but her voice was like quicksilver and her brother had an uncanny knack for arranging songs that set her vocals off like diamonds in a very exquisite setting. They were square, no doubt about it. As square as Richard Nixon. But as Neil Young once sang, “Even Richard Nixon has got soul,” and the Carpenters have soul too. It’s just not the kind of soul that will move your feet. It’s more of an anti-soul, designed to make you swoon rather than sway, and say what you will of the Carpenters, no one else has ever made music as pure, and as smooth, as they have. They should play this album in mental institutions to calm the patients. And that’s as good a recommendation as any.

GRADED ON A CURVE: A

Complete Review Here:
ww.thevinyldistrict.com/storefront/2015/07/graded-on-a-curve-the-carpenters-the-singles-1969-1973/

Had a fresh run through of SACD 69-81 and with a hint of speaker tweaking had a whole new take on ONLY YESTERDAY. The background harmonies are outstanding and the intricate layers are absolutely discernable. Good stuff. Great stuff! Occasionally I do the speakers adjustments. Finding ever so slightly to the left or right or what have you makes a subtle sometimes refined difference. Keeps the listening fresh, new and intriguing. It's a matter of getting a finer take on these tunes so often heard.

Back
Top Bottom