⭐ Official Review [Compilation]: "THE SINGLES, 1969-1981" [SACD]

Which 5.1 Surround and/or 2-Channel Fold Mix Is Your Favorite?

• 1.) "Yesterday Once More"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.) "We've Only Just Begun"

• 3.) "Superstar"

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 4.) "Rainy Days And Mondays"

• 5.) "Goodbye To Love"

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 6.) "I Believe You"

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 7.) "It's Going To Take Some Time"

• 8.) "This Masquerade"

• 9.) "Ticket To Ride"

• 10.) "Top Of The World"

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 11.) "Only Yesterday"

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 12.) "Hurting Each Other"

• 13.) "Please Mr. Postman"

• 14.) "Merry Christmas, Darling"

• 15.) "Sing"

• 16.) "Bless The Beasts and Children"

• 17.) "I Won't Last A Day Without You"

• 18.) "Touch Me When We're Dancing"

• 19.) "For All We Know"

• 20.) "(They Long To Be) Close To You"

• 21.) "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft"

• Total voters
Our most recent thread is from when the 2014 SHM-SACD, the Platinum SHM-CD, and the regular SHM-CD were announced and came out:

The Singles 1969-1973 SACD and SHM (New Releases) »

I don't believe there is a thread prefixed with "Official Review".

And yes, there is and SHM-CD reissue coming in August in Japan. I'm sure we mentioned it somewhere.

Thanks for perusal of that information for me, Harry !
Thus, my eyes do not deceive me. I always appreciate another set of eyes (and ears) to double-check information.
This New August 2016 SACD does not have an SHM attribution to it (As did the 2014 issue).
Thus, this appears to be an entirely separate issue of the Album.

The New (2016) SACD
of
Singles 1969-1973
has an issue #UIGY-15001.
Whereas,
the previous CD issue (4/23/14),
as already discussed on this forum,
is #UIGY-9542.

Yeah, the Japanese do stuff like this all the time. They'll release some special version of an album and fans pay dearly for it - and it may or may not be worth the cost, but it IS a good thing for fans. Then a year or so later, they'll put out the same thing in a "priced-down"version, or simply a re-release due to a sell-out.

I believe that in this case, SINGLES 1969-1973 will be the same masters used for the 2014 issue, and will be an SHM-SACD, this time in a jewel-case, based on the translation from the Universal Japan page:

Content
SA-CD ~ SHM specification Regular Edition series

use transparency / the SHM material which is excellent in fluidity to the body, as the ultimate Super Audio CD series that incorporates a single-layer (2ch) method to live further DSD inherent characteristics, in 2010 It started the release <SA-CD ~ SHM specification>.
Also sticking out to the sound source to the master, in many cases, by adopting the DSD material was flat transfer directly from the original analog tapes, we have received high praise from the audio fans and music fans.
However, this until the release of the order which was a Limited Edition center by Paper Sleeve, many titles are already sold out, we have received also request a number re-released. In this study, using the same jewel case and a normal CD in the package, we will send a new you at an affordable that tax \ 3,000 price.
It should be noted, it was produced after the better a DSD master from the time of the initial sale, or if the newly required is also responsible for appropriate replacement.
So, sense of scale to reach the stress without ear, soft and analog-like texture, real feeling that unfolds in front of the eyes, three-dimensional feeling to expand deep into the space, a sense of stability so that tight To stout, can SA-CD is why reproduction of SHM specification the master quality, please enjoy to your heart's content carefully.
Product introduction
[SACD] [SHM specification] [Single Layer]

best album a collection of initial single. Not merely that lists the album original version, recording of a new, which also included Karen vocal, such as applying a new edit, masterpiece shines talent as insistence and arranger Richard Carpenter. This work has been evaluated in the same manner as the original album, the optimum one as Introductory of Carpenters sound. (1973 announcement)
● Richard Carpenter, by Bernie Grundman, was based on the US original analog tape 2014 DSD master

Clear as mud, right?

Harry

We need an "official review" thread for The Singles 1969-1973 LP.
Anyway, here is the December 1st, 1973 Album Review from Billboard Magazine:
CARPENTERS -The Singles, 19691973
"This greatest hits package of 13 songs affirms the acts line talent.
Karen's clear, dean, pristine tones have a glisten whether its heard on "We've Only Just Begun" or 'Top of the World."
Placed end-to-end, the group's musk has a compelling quality which stands the test of time.
They are capable of making 'Ticket to Ride" by Lennon.McCartney their own special vehicle,
principally because of Karen's slow, invoking vocal. Brother Richard's orchestrations and arrangements, plus
his own sweet harmonizing-- on this and the other cuts-- adds the middle and bolton ranges to Karen's top levels."

I put "principally because of" in boldface,
because for that song--Ticket To Ride--I believe the reviewer is WRONG.
Richard's arrangement for that song is equally as important !
It is a great example of Karen's lead vocals, Richard's arrangement and background harmony.

I dug out my 1969-1981 Singles SACD yesterday and it’s still in pristine condition. I’ve only ever played it once (on a normal CD player) and I’ve always regretted never having had the experience of hearing the tracks in true surround sound because I’ve never owned a SACD player. I bought it as a curiosity at the time it was released. They’re going for upwards of £150 on eBay but I don’t know if I could part with it.

Back
Top Bottom