HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 17 21.5%

Votes: 39 49.4%

Votes: 22 27.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mine was bought recently from a guy in England but it was listed as new, shrink wrapped and in immaculate condition. It says Made in France by PMDC. Which is Polygram Manufacturing and Distribution Centers (PMDC). And it says INTL: 399-017-2, UK CDA 19748. LC 0485, PY 900. I thought mine said Polygram when I opened it, and it has the simplified Polygram A&M logo, where records is printed outside the squared A&M logo. But I threw away the stuff that was on the foil, and I can’t remember what it advertised. I like the bit of history this collection represents even though it’s just a collection of album releases and not the actual single releases. (It is a great cover design as an album and remember once long ago seeing the original album cover as an import.) It would have been perfect with the single releases for nothing else in 1978 had them and only on the Complete Singles collection released just a few years ago does it happen, that I know of. Karen’s voice is a treasure regardless of the version.

The LP had single mixes of "Please Mr. Postman" and "I Won't Last A Day Without You", but the later CD editions substituted the album versions.

Disc is Mfg. by Cinram, per the matrix!

Full matrix reads: #910618BB VPCD-19748 MFG BY CINRAM

Cat. No. is VPCD 19748
My CD is exactly the same as this ^^

I also have the LP and the vinyl sounds really good, crisp yet warm. The gold foil (mine's in excellent shape) with embossed logo really makes this album cover stand out on LP. Very classy design!!

I was through my CD’s and it does appear that Cinram was stamping the dates that the pressed the CD’s on the disc, since I’m seeing the same numbers in the same YY-MM-DD format with the exception of one CD—-the Carpenters “Lovelines” that inexplicable contains a “P” at the start of 91017NN. Maybe that was a typo I’m not sure. But my copy of the 1985 Carpenters YOM CD set shows a late-1996 printing, the “fat boy” version of “Christmas Collection” indicates that ‘Christmas Portrait’ was pressed on October 24, 1996, while ‘An Old-Fashioned Christmas’ was pressed on October 22, 1996.

My Columbia House CD’s of both “Christmas Portrait Special Edition” & “Singles 1969-1973” both have dates from different points in 1992.

Maybe this will help track down when the 69-73 underwent its Canadian Remaster and got the 1985 remix of “Yesterday Once More”.

The LP had single mixes of "Please Mr. Postman" and "I Won't Last A Day Without You", but the later CD editions substituted the album versions.
Wow, that’s excellent! I never knew! I once had a cassette tape but can’t remember what it had. I might have to search for an album.

Billboard November 11, 1978:
LONDON -
"A & M U.K. is to spend around $600,000 on a television advertising campaign for the Carpenters "Singles, 1974 -78" package.
A similar amount is being laid out on promotion for Neil Diamond's "20 Golden Greats" by EMI's Licensed Repertoire Division.
"Both are record sums spent by the companies. They spearhead a tremendous build -up in small screen advertising through the
pre Christ mas "spending spree" when some 50 albums are getting this treatment."
"The Carpenters' package receives national tv exposure from Nov. 15, along with 750 in -store window displays,
commercial radio action
, trade press advertising, posters and a mass of merchandising material."
Here:

I don’t think this has been mentioned before, but I was just on the BPI website and I noticed that BPI Award this compilation 1X Platinum on December 4, 1978. (BPI gives 74-78 a release date of November 10, 1978.). Of course that was also the last time the album was submitted for certification. Nearly 50 years later, 74-78 must’ve hit 5x Platinum in the UK with all the vinyl, cassette, 8-track, CD and digital sales.

But it looks like it never reached certification in Canada (and at least on iTunes Canada, it’s the one Singles album not available, meaning that it’s stuck in the physical domain—-is it on iTunes UK?)

And as far as I can tell neither Christmas album has been certified Silver in the UK. Might explain why A&M UK was pushing 74-78 over CP78.

I recently perused this thread mainly because I didn’t have The Singles 1974-1978 in my collection. I saw a lot in this thread that I connected with so I went ahead and purchased the UK CD. I just gave it a spin and this is now one of my favorites for two reasons.

First, listening to a Carpenters compilation CD with no remixing, I felt like I was listening to Carpenters Unplugged. This was just so refreshing. I was not expecting it. It sounds amazing on CD from beginning to end.

The CD is crisp and plays beautifully. The Can’t Smile Without You track by itself was worth the price of the CD for me. It’s my new favorite song (at least for this week). The vibe on the CD is so light that Solitaire doesn’t even drag the mood. I also enjoyed the ‘72 IWLADWY and Jambalya with the studio mix inverted.

I will put the LP on my radar for the Single version of Occupants. I applaud the A&M Corner Forum. I would not have added this one to my collection otherwise. Big shout out for the contributions to this thread.

First, listening to a Carpenters compilation CD with no remixing, I felt like I was listening to Carpenters Unplugged. This was just so refreshing. I was not expecting it. It sounds amazing on CD from beginning to end.

The CD is crisp and plays beautifully. The Can’t Smile Without You track by itself was worth the price of the CD for me. It’s my new favorite song (at least for this week).
I get confused and frustrated trying to keep in mind or remember all the "remixes" over the years, and when they were done, and how they differed from each other, and what were the positive/negative aspects of each, and how many more are to come...actually, I'm seriously hoping the next remix will be an "unmixing" - specifically, and as I've stated before just a few times, I want to see issued an album (or double album) of all the songs where Karen double-tracked her lead vocals with that double-tracking completely removed - speaking of "refreshing" what a marvelous revelation and experience that would be - and it's the only thing Richard has to do yet that would make any sense at all and that would right a wrong that has existed since day one...for example, from this album think of how much better "Hush" and "Postman" would sound...

Can understand how you feel about "Can't Smile..." as your NEW favorite - I'm having the same current affair with "When It's Gone..." even though it too is a flawed recording with Karen too much in the background and the background too much in the foreground...but the hook of the chorus is lovely and delightful in contrast to the verses, and a bittersweet listen. Should have been on this album...

Last edited:
I'm having the same current affair with "When It's Gone..." even though it too is a flawed recording with Karen too much in the background and the background too much in the foreground...but the hook of the chorus is lovely and delightful in contrast to the verses, and a bittersweet listen. Should have been on this album...

Only issue is it was recorded two years after this album was released :)

I recently perused this thread mainly because I didn’t have The Singles 1974-1978 in my collection. I saw a lot in this thread that I connected with so I went ahead and purchased the UK CD. I just gave it a spin and this is now one of my favorites for two reasons.

The CD is crisp and plays beautifully. The Can’t Smile Without You track by itself was worth the price of the CD for me. It’s my new favorite song (at least for this week). The vibe on the CD is so light that Solitaire doesn’t even drag the mood. I also enjoyed the ‘72 IWLADWY and Jambalya with the studio mix inverted.

I will put the LP on my radar for the Single version of Occupants. I applaud the A&M Corner Forum. I would not have added this one to my collection otherwise. Big shout out for the contributions to this thread.
The LP of Singles 1974-1978 does not contain the single version of “Calling Occupants”. The LP contains the album mix with Tony Peluso’s DJ act. However the LP does have the single mix of “Please Mr. Postman”.

The only LP that has the single mix of “Calling Occupants” that I’m aware of is the 1982 Australian/New Zealand LP The Very Best of the Carpenters. I have the LP for both the 74-78 & TVBOTC albums, and on 74-78 it is the 7-minute album mix, while TVBOTC is the 3.5-minute single mix.

This resource is a mind explosion 🤯 My new go to along with Carpenters The Musical Legacy . You are the best, Harry

Back
Top Bottom