• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

⭐ Official Review [Compilation]: "THE SINGLES, 1974-1978"

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 15 21.1%

Votes: 34 47.9%

Votes: 21 29.6%

Votes: 1 1.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Simon KC1950

A third album would have been a bit less full, if things had been different and they had continued to have singles and hits they could have continued to release "The Singles [Inset Years]" for the last 30 plus years but just using the stuff after this album and into the posthumous stuff and we could have one like this:

The Singles III

1. Touch Me When We're Dancing
  2. I Believe You
  3. If I Had You
  4. Make Believe It's Your First Time
  5. Something In Your Eyes
  6. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
  7. (Want You Back) In My Life Again
  8. Now
  9. Honolulu City Lights
  10. Beechwood 4-5789
  11. The Rainbow Connection
  12. Those Good Old Dreams

Last edited:

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
If those were combined as a two-disc set, what's missing in terms of hits?

From their active career as a duo, the only bona fide chart hit missing would be Touch Me When We’re Dancing. Any singles after that ultimately end up in the category of compilation material because of their off-radar chart performance.

tomswift2002

From their active career as a duo, the only bona fide chart hit missing would be Touch Me When We’re Dancing. Any singles after that ultimately end up in the category of compilation material because of their off-radar chart performance.
Even that is not really a bona fide chart hit. Outside of the US, Touch Me never really hit. For example, Canada, it didn’t even hit the lower parts of the pop charts; it’s only action was as an A/C #4 hit. (Whereas “I Believe You” was a Pop #81 and A/C #22.) And then the only other country where it saw action was New Zealand where it got to #22.

Really the only single that came close to being a hit in multiple countries after “Sweet, Sweet Smile” was “Make Believe It’s Your First Time”. It saw chart action in the US (#101 Pop/#7 AC), Canada (#2 AC), Ireland (#20), UK (#60) and Australia (#80).

GaryAlan

^^I can't resist saying I love this compilation !
I notice that that particular vinyl includes these words on the record itself: "Volume 2" .
I like that subtitle.

Top Bottom