• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Compilation]: "THE SINGLES, 1974-1978"

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 15 24.2%

Votes: 28 45.2%

Votes: 18 29.0%

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Someday

I have this too but cannot remember the TV advertising. There are several different versions of that press photo (rexfeatures.com), with Karen outside the store (which, I believe, was Chappells on Bond Street). Singles 1974-78 is clearly being displayed alongside Christmas Portrait, as this was on Monday 11th December when she was here doing Bruce Forsyth's Big Night. I don't know of any other promotion for CP, however.

GaryAlan

This is one I have been spinning, lately. I enjoy this album quite a bit.
Exactly how "commonly available," in the USA, was this LP back in the day ?
The LP was in the "import" section when I stumbled upon it--if I had not specifically
searched in the "import" section, I never would have come across this LP.
The Forum Resource says this:
"It has been commonly available in the US as an import however over the years."

Needless-to-say, do we know if Richard Carpenter sequenced the songs ?
Was there any input from the Richard Carpenter actually producing this LP ?
Karen's role, in traveling to London to promote the LP is well-known, as is the
$500,000 spent by UK A&M for promotion. Has anyone ever seen that UK-TV campaign ?
While it charted there, and peaked at #2 (on chart for 27 weeks; entered #18 dec 9,1978 ),
I wonder if sales met A&M's expectations ?

This compilation Vinyl-LP, had it been given the loving treatment of its predecessor (69-73),
could have been a nice ten-year anniversary (1979) birthday present for American audiences.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Exactly how "commonly available," in the USA, was this LP back in the day ?
I first spotted and purchased the SINGLES 1974-1978 album up in an HMV shop in Montreal, Canada on a tourist visit there. I'd never seen it before and was attracted to the shiny gold foil cover. It was just a short time later that I spotted it for sale (at an inflated import price) in some local stores like Sam Goody and Wee Three Records around the Philadelphia are. I figured if it was common enough to be there, it probably made it to many other US stores.

GaryAlan

Here is one that I love to listen to !
Again, comparisons to the previous Hits LP "The Singles 1969-1973"
are always brought in....unfairly I believe.
If I compare chart listings (or, sales) of singles from the earlier package,
there is (obviously) no comparison.
Also, the earlier, a worldwide release, eventually sold 7 plus-million copies.
All that being said, I still love to listen to this later compilation.
The defining word here is DIVERSITY.
It is a fun listen, full of hits and misses.
That it does not (and could not possibly) reach the heights of the earlier hits package,
in terms of song-quality, does not matter.
Much here is simply ear candy.
Ear candy done brilliantly, in many an instance.

CarpentersToYou

What I feel has come and gone before...
I first spotted and purchased the SINGLES 1974-1978 album up in an HMV shop in Montreal, Canada on a tourist visit there.
That is exactly where I found the CD for the first time in stores. Sadly that HMV closed last year. :sad:

tomswift2002

Here is one that I love to listen to !
Again, comparisons to the previous Hits LP "The Singles 1969-1973"
are always brought in....unfairly I believe.
If I compare chart listings (or, sales) of singles from the earlier package,
there is (obviously) no comparison.
Also, the earlier, a worldwide release, eventually sold 7 plus-million copies.
All that being said, I still love to listen to this later compilation.
The defining word here is DIVERSITY.
It is a fun listen, full of hits and misses.
That it does not (and could not possibly) reach the heights of the earlier hits package,
in terms of song-quality, does not matter.
Much here is simply ear candy.
Ear candy done brilliantly, in many an instance.
It’s also interesting that on the UK charts, the “Singles 1974-1978” hit #2, a feat they would replicate nearly 40 year’s later with “The Nation’s Favorites”. By comparison the 69-73 was #1 on the chart.

Harry

Staff member
40 year’s later with “The Nation’s Favorites”.
I love that THE NATION'S FAVOURITE contains both "It's Going To Take Some Time" and "Jambalaya" - two songs that tend to get a bit thrashed in these parts. I know that "Jambalaya" was huge in the UK.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
I love that THE NATION'S FAVOURITE contains both "It's Going To Take Some Time" and "Jambalaya" - two songs that tend to get a bit thrashed in these parts. I know that "Jambalaya" was huge in the UK.
It was a #12 on the charts at the time, so not really huge. I also can’t recall ever hearing it once on UK radio in the last 25 years, so I was surprised it even showed up on that poll.

Harry

Staff member
Huge is a relative term. Compared to the US where it wasn't a single at all!

GDB2LV

I thought they re-recorded Can’t Smile Without You as a result of Barry Manilow’s huge hit with it. Kind of a “take that” Barry kind of thing. Lol
A possible hit they missed out on again like This Masquerade and I Just Fall in Love Again the next year, which are all better than the recordings by other artists. I know IJFILA is too long, but I am biased at the superior vocals by Karen, and Richard’s arrangements. I found it hard to listen to those other versions back then, even though I love Anne Murray and like Manilow ok.

Top Bottom