1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Compilation]: "THE SINGLES, 1974-1978"

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Oct 31, 2005.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. ****

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. ***

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. **

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Someday

Someday Active Member

I have this too but cannot remember the TV advertising. There are several different versions of that press photo (rexfeatures.com), with Karen outside the store (which, I believe, was Chappells on Bond Street). Singles 1974-78 is clearly being displayed alongside Christmas Portrait, as this was on Monday 11th December when she was here doing Bruce Forsyth's Big Night. I don't know of any other promotion for CP, however.

John Adam and newvillefan like this.
  2. ars nova

ars nova Active Member

I have finally obtained the Canadian alternate cover. all is well in my world. baby.

GaryAlan and Jamesj75 like this.
  3. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

This is one I have been spinning, lately. I enjoy this album quite a bit.
    Exactly how "commonly available," in the USA, was this LP back in the day ?
    The LP was in the "import" section when I stumbled upon it--if I had not specifically
    searched in the "import" section, I never would have come across this LP.
    The Forum Resource says this:
    "It has been commonly available in the US as an import however over the years."

Needless-to-say, do we know if Richard Carpenter sequenced the songs ?
    Was there any input from the Richard Carpenter actually producing this LP ?
    Karen's role, in traveling to London to promote the LP is well-known, as is the
    $500,000 spent by UK A&M for promotion. Has anyone ever seen that UK-TV campaign ?
    While it charted there, and peaked at #2 (on chart for 27 weeks; entered #18 dec 9,1978 ),
    I wonder if sales met A&M's expectations ?

This compilation Vinyl-LP, had it been given the loving treatment of its predecessor (69-73),
    could have been a nice ten-year anniversary (1979) birthday present for American audiences.

4. I first spotted and purchased the SINGLES 1974-1978 album up in an HMV shop in Montreal, Canada on a tourist visit there. I'd never seen it before and was attracted to the shiny gold foil cover. It was just a short time later that I spotted it for sale (at an inflated import price) in some local stores like Sam Goody and Wee Three Records around the Philadelphia are. I figured if it was common enough to be there, it probably made it to many other US stores.