Concert review North Sea Jazz 15-07-2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

Sergio Mendes and his group performed at the North Sea Jazz festival in Rotterdam, the Netherlands as part of his European tour last Saturday evening.

They performed only Brazllian songs, no FOOL ON THE HILL, no PRETTY WORLD, no THE LOOK OF LOVE or NEVER GONNA LET YOU GO.

The first song was VIRAMUNDO from Jorge Ben and followed by INDIADO from Brasileiro and CANTO TRISTE from FOTH as a medley, and the Ivan Lins penned song LUA SOBERANO from Brasileiro, followed by
TIM DOM DOM from Brasil ’66 first album HAP followed by THE FROG (the rap version from Timeless with Chucki Booker as rapper).
Than he played SURFBOARD by Jobim, I stood in the front row just before Sergio, on the leftside of the stage, so I saw him playing this harmonic difficult song only with his right hand.
They played a fiery RODA by Jorge Ben the (Look around version), Bananeiro by João Donato (Timeless version).

The romantic part as Sergio introduced this set by mentioned Dorival and Dori Caymmi, Jobim and Baden Powell de Aquino as his favourite composers and started with Dorival’s MILAGRE from Horizonte Aberto/Alegria, than LIKE A LOVER with Sergio solo on his Yamaha Motif 8,
with Dawn Bishop singing the English parts and Gracinha singing the Portuguese parts, followed by DEIXA/LET ME let me go by Baden Powell de Aquino with Gracinha started in Portuguese followed by Dawn in English.
Than an uptempo WATERS OF MARCH, short quick and to the point and SO DANCE THE SAMBA.

The percussion section (with percussioninst Mei Noite in the leading role) started with Sergio singing the first lines of AQUA DE BEBER than the song from Brasileiro WHAT IS THIS as interlude waved into the berimbeau solo with Mei Noite, quica and ago go bells. And Chucki Booker did a mouth percussion vocal treatment. In this part the only time I saw a big smile on Sergio’s face.

The instrumental SAMBA DE BENCAOU s Sergio introduced by Baden Powell, Vinicius de Moraes and Norman Gimbel and bass player Leonardo Nobre did the Brazilian rap Timeles version after the bridge.
Than the played Baden Powells BERIMBEAU/CONSOLACAO/ Berimbeau from Timeless with the second keyboard player playing Stevie Wonder harmonica parts on syntheziser.

Than they played one of my favorite Brasil 66 songs, LAPINHA from
the FOTH album penned by Baden Powell de Aquino about a burglar who
wished to be buried after his dead at the graveyard LAPINHA in rio de Janeiro.The first time Gracinha appeared on a Brasil 66 album as solo singer.
Than the played VOCE ABUSOU from Vintage 74 composed by the famed Brazilian songwriting team Antonio Carlos and Jocafi who wrote a for Brazilian hitsinger Maria Creuza in the 1970’s
Than they played a song I never heard on any of Sergio’s records.
They ended with the Timeless version of MAS QUE NADA after that Sergio walked off the stage looking at his watch after one hour and 12 minutes, returned for an encore with the Jorge Ben song PAIS TROPICAL.

My overall impression was good performed concert with some of the old Brasil 66 sounds mixed with the contemporary Timeless sounds. Gracinha and Dawn sounded great. Michael Shapiro played strong and fiery (the driving force) with Meia Noite as a IMHO one of the best percussionist today and Kleber Jorge played solid guitar parts and sung along with Sergio most of the male vocals parts, as did bass player Leonardo Nobre
Chucki Booker played some congas as well, and a new second keyboard player announced by Sergio as Mr. Rosario from California. No Bill Brendle,
his long time assiociate.

Many songs. I missed THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA, and no EDU LOBO songs at all.

All the best,

Aqua do Brasil

Thanks for the report, Aqua. It sounds like it was a great concert. I'd love to hear Sergio do all of that Brazilan material.

Harry

Aqua do Brasil said:
Dear Forum Members,

Sergio Mendes and his group performed at the North Sea Jazz festival in Rotterdam, the Netherlands as part of his European tour last Saturday evening.

The first song was VIRAMUNDO from Jorge Ben........... followed by THE FROG (the rap version from Timeless with Chucki Booker as rapper).

And Chucki Booker did a mouth percussion vocal treatment. In this part the only time I saw a big smile on Sergio’s face.

Chucki Booker played some congas as well, and a new second keyboard player announced by Sergio as Mr. Rosario from California. No Bill Brendle,
his long time assiociate.

All the best,

Aqua do Brasil

Hello Aqua. :) How are you my friend? Thank U for the outstanding review of the concert.I wish I could have been there, sorry I missed it. :sad: You mention Chucki Booker at the concert. I remenber him as an solo artist being hot on the r&b charts in the early90s/late 80s.He's the godson the late Barry White and I believe he was at onetime a musical director for one of Janet Jackson's tours.In addition he also wrote and produced hits for artists like TROOP, and ANGELA WINBUSH.It's nice to hear that he's back on the music scene and that's he working with the AMAZING SERGIO MENDES.SERGIO made the right choice there because Chucki's very talented.

As for Viramundo, didn't Gilberto Gil write that.I don't knowanymore I get Gilberto Gil & Jorge Ben mixed up sometimes. :?:

I was at the North Sea Jazz Festival and I also saw Sergio in Paris too - just one of those things! The Rapper, are you sure it was Chuki Booker - looked him up on the website and they certainly don't look the same.

Concerts were exactly the same as each other - except the Paris venue was a lot smaller and therefore more intimate than the 1000's that crammed the Hall in Rotterdam. The description of the concert given previously is very precise indeed!

Thanks

juliet66 said:
I was at the North Sea Jazz Festival and I also saw Sergio in Paris too - just one of those things! The Rapper, are you sure it was Chuki Booker - looked him up on the website and they certainly don't look the same.

Concerts were exactly the same as each other - except the Paris venue was a lot smaller and therefore more intimate than the 1000's that crammed the Hall in Rotterdam. The description of the concert given previously is very precise indeed!

Thanks

Hi Juliet. initially, a rapper named Krishna Booker was supposed to perfoming with Sergio for his tour for a month.I know Krishna was at the Hollywood Bowl gig last month.Krishna also goes by the name of "Chill Factor" or somtimes "The Factor". If the rapper that you saw at your concert was lightskinned and heavyset, then it was definitely Krishna.By the way Krishna is married to my friend Diana Moriera Purim(daughter of Airto & Flora.)Diana & Krishna have their own band named Eyedentity( a rap/tecno/Brazilian group which the band icludes Rashid Duke, Lynne Earls. Andre Santana,Grecco Buratto, and Sandro Feliciano.

Sounds like a very good set... Seems as though Sergio's European following mostly favors the rootsy Brasilian stuff... (And would his Japanese Fans have the undying interest in the deep Primal Roots stuff??) :goofygrin:

Glad the North Sea Jazz Festival appearance went well!

Dave

Cortnee said:
juliet66 said:

Thanks

initially, a rapper named Krishna Booker was supposed to perfoming with Sergio for his tour for a month.I know Krishna was at the Hollywood Bowl gig last month.Krishna also goes by the name of "Chill Factor" or somtimes "The Factor". If the rapper that you saw at your concert was lightskinned and heavyset, then it was definitely Krishna.By the way Krishna is married to my friend Diana Moriera Purim(daughter of Airto & Flora.)Diana & Krishna have their own band named Eyedentity( a rap/tecno/Brazilian group which the band icludes Rashid Duke, Lynne Earls. Andre Santana,Grecco Buratto, and Sandro Feliciano.

Your right Juliet66 and Cortnee!
I mixed up the names. I knew it was Krishna and not Chucki BOOKER.
I have an amazing CD on Atlantic Records from the beginning of the
1990 s from Chuicki Booker the sax player.

Sorry for the mistake,
Aqua do Brasil,
(AKA Sjef Nix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom