• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Concord Acquires Telarc Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

The gobbling up of smaller record labels continues as Concord Records acquires the Telarc label. From the JazzTimes site:

Concord Announces Telarc Acquisition

Concord Records Group announced Monday its acquisition of Telarc International and subsidiary label, Heads Up International, further adding to Concord’s holdings in jazz and adding classical, blues and world music to its family.

Rumors of such an acquisition have been floating around the industry for months, and both Glen Barros, president and CEO of Concord, and Rob Saslow, Vice President of Marketing for Telarc, said the project had been in the works for the better part of 2005. “We’ve always had a mutual respect for each other and I just felt that the two companies were very compatible,” Barros said.

Both companies are anticipating some of the changes the acquisition will bring. “I like to think that it will allow our jazz artists to have access to the same methods of exposure as some of the Concord artists,” Saslow said. “I think that it will continue a tradition that both companies have of creating really innovative jazz records and doing interesting things with them… It doesn’t mean we’re ignoring the jazz repertoire, at all - we’re trying to use it in a whole new way,” he continued.

Barros concurred: “I like to think it’s a very positive change for jazz artists and the jazz community.” He added that combing the two music groups will give them more resources and opportunities. “We’re committed to jazz. It’s a difficult genre right now, but banding together makes us stronger,” he explained.

In November 2004, Concord acquired Fantasy Records, gaining access to a wealth of classic jazz titles, including albums by John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Ella Fitzgerald, and Vince Guaraldi’s Christmas album A Charlie Brown Christmas.

In addition to Fantasy, the Concord Music Group also includes labels Peak, Playboy Jazz, Concord Picante and Stretch. Its roster includes such acts as Ozomatli, the Rippingtons, Lee Ritenour, Gary Burton, Chick Corea and Sergio Mendes and Fantasy recently re-signed rock legend John Fogerty after years of estrangement. Last year, the label won the Album of the Year Grammy for its release of Ray Charles’ last album, Genius Loves Company.

Telarc’s roster includes legendary musicians Dave Brubeck, George Shearing, Oscar Peterson, John Pizzarelli and Tierney Sutton, while Heads Up features Spyro Gyra, Najee, Michael Brecker, the Yellowjackets, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Hugh Masekela.

“We’re all on both ends very excited about this. I really feel that it is going to bring a breath of fresh air to both labels,” Saslow said.

Though terms of the deal were not released, Concord owners Norman Lear and Hal Gaba and investor Tailwind Capital Partners supplied equity capital to finance the acquisition and HSBC and JPMorgan Chase provided additional financing.

Capt. Bacardi

Buy up that back catalog! When Concord took over Fantasy, a LOT of product went out of print. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom