• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Daily Double", the lost BMB tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob knack

Did you miss this one? A guy on E-bay just sold a tune called "Daily Double", the Santa Anita theme song, by the Baja Marimba Band. My jaw dropped when I saw it.

Was it one of you who paid $107.00 for it? What can all of you experts tell me about this. I used to think I knew everything about Julius and the boys. I was wrong!

Maybe it's time to discuss BMB Lost Treasures.

Weird...I've never heard of that one. Guessing: it may have been a promo item?

Do you have a link to the auction? Very intriguing!

Yes, it was me. I never knew about it before, so when I saw it on e-Bay I jumped all over it! For the record, this is the 2nd highest price that I've ever paid for an A&M related collectible. The highest was $150 for a new copy of The Very Best Of Herb Alpert laser disc from Japan by way of Paris & Scotland! :wink:

I just heard back from the Wechters. David knew nothing about it. Cissy recalls that Julius wrote a song for Santa Anita, but didn't know there was a record.

I am anxiously awaiting the mailman.

p.s. BTW, notes from Hal Blaine indicate the BMB recorded The Lonely Bull during the For Animals Only sessions. So, here is another lost Baja track.

Steve--the highest price you've paid for a collectible still is nowhere near the insane money some folks are paying for out of print Alpert CDs! :D

Another lost Baja track is the theme to the 70s sitcom Viva Valdez, a show about a hispanic family getting along in the 'burbs. Predates George Lopez's show by a quarter century!

I watched it every week just to hear Wechter's tune!

--Mr Bill

Man, That's Coffee! was used in several different arrangements for General Foods of Canada's Maxwell House Coffee. The ad campaign was quite popular and some were dubbed in French for Quebec. It was released as a single on Quality Records in Canada. Quality was the north of the border A&M licensee before A&M opened their own office there. The TV spots received a Canadian award. Julius told me that it wasn't released in the States because Herb didn't think it was good enough.

I wonder if the reformed BMB ever recorded the medley of Tico-Tico and Copacabana that they used to do live? And they did Hey Jude on TV once and it was a great arrangement.

Hey Steve, when you get that thing, you'd better give us a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom