DEFINITIVE Answer to Janis Hansen question--from Janis!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
Well, I have heard from Sergio's Janis Hansen, and I finally have answers to the questions that have been raised. First off, she did indeed sing with The Carnival. Second of all, she is NOT the actress Janis Hansen who was in "The Odd Couple" (I did not ask any anatomy questions of her). :cool: She says she did a "zillion" Ford commercials before retiring from singing after her marriage. Wow! :idea: (A better idea).

Forgot to include--Janis confirms it's her singing lead on "Look of Love" (the whole way through) and that Lani only joined on the chorus. Nice to finally know some of this stuff from a reliable source!

That's "Sergio"'s Janis. I have invited her to post here, so hopefully she will drop by for a visit.

That would be cool.

Thanks for your efforts, Jeff. It's nice to have the real stories about this stuff that's been conjecture for years.

Harry
NP: "The Look Of Love" - Janis Hansen & Brasil '66!

JMK said:
That's "Sergio"'s Janis. I have invited her to post here, so hopefully she will drop by for a visit.

Me, too. I just hope she doesn't have an AOL browser or Netscape 4.7, which have been notoriously giving us a lot of trouble. (Still have to do an update to the forum software, alas...)

-= N =-

JMK said:
Forgot to include--Janis confirms it's her singing lead on "Look of Love" (the whole way through) and that Lani only joined on the chorus. Nice to finally know some of this stuff from a reliable source!

Here's another one...

I could be wrong, but think I'm right. I've repeatedly listened to "For Me" since learning that Janis sang lead on "The Look Of Love." Actually, I'm not alone -- many of my family have listened to it as well. Correct us if we're wrong, but isn't Janis singing, "Somewhere there's someone else, who feels it too...Something rare and wonderful is due?" Sounds like her to us. On Hollywood Palace, the camera moves to Janis during this solo (if you look closely, you can see Lani turn to Janis as she begins to sing, just before the camera zooms in on her.) I know they lip-synched the Hollywood Palace segment, but didn't the Brasil '66 performance on the Academy Awards open with Janis singing "The Look Of Love?" I mean, I believe (lip-synched or not) that Sergio would give credit where credit was due.

Then again, Karen did lip-synch right along with Lani during her solo on "Wichita Lineman." Hmmm...

I still think it's Janis singing lead on "For Me!" Also, she did mention in an e-mail that she had sang solo on "more than one song" in regard to Equinox, which makes me wonder if she solos on "Night & Day" as well?

Jon

...doing Janis Hansen comparisons, online...

Regardless of who sang or played what on those cool Br.'66 productions, the facts remain that 1.) Sergio had a way with selecting his members, and directed his outfit with a clear professionalism that I've always admired
2.) always selected the finest arrangements for their time
3.) successfully imparted a true 'Brazilian' feel to his music, while also achieving a 'mainstream' feel ( genuine bossa nova is actually a whole lot more robust that our familiar 'Americanized' version, or that's what I've read)
4.) and last, but not least, the final credit goez to the Rudster, for founding a site such as this, so that such wonderful music can continue to be live, and retain it's value, as much of the stuff that we discuss here is of considerable vintage, and thanx to Rudy, it's attained the status of 'classics'...this is one refreshing experience, and it's websites such as this that venerate the Internet :!:

Warm Wishes,
Steve

P.S. on the matter of certain tracks from "Equinox" soundin poor
(Rudy identified "Night and Day" as an example), I guess that I'm
fortunate to have a copy that predates the others, and unlike the
remaining c.d. packaging, doesn't contain a miniturized version of the original back cover graphics, so perhaps it's my good fortune to have bought it when I had, but, with apologies the Rudy, but there's nada wrong with my copy of this cool gem of an album, so somewhere there's a noticably better digital remastering available...hmmm, I wonder why is was re-done like that? Oh well, it's like the ancient Phoenesians would say: go figure!" :rolleyes:

i think i found another one.
another janis vocal.
i think she does ALL the singing on the entire song
"so danco samba" EXCEPT for lani's two lines on the bridge.
who ever else is doing the rest of the singing--
it sure aint lani. must be janis.

walt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom