• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Different remixes of "There's A Kind of Hush"

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

I've been plowing through the SWEET MEMORY collection, listening for different versions of songs, and I came across a song that has puzzled me for a couple of years.

"There's a Kind of Hush" was remixed in 1985 for the original YESTERDAY ONCE MORE collection. It also seems to have been remixed again some time in the early '90s (possibly during the Karaoke mixing sessions?).

If you play the different versions, listen to the track at around 0:50, where Karen is singing "it isn't a dream." On the original, and the 1985 remix, when she says the word "it" there are two little blips from the synthesizer. On the other remix, that synthesizer part seems to have been omitted.

The 1985 remix appears on YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (the 1985 one) and THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION. The later (1991?) remix appears on the Time-Life CARPENTERS COLLECTION, the Reader's Digest collection, 22 HITS OF THE CARPENTERS and the 1998 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

Anyone know where the new remix came from? The Time-Life collection (1993) is the earliest CD I have with that remix, but the last big round of remixing had occurred in 1991.
It's a mystery to me...
David

I don't hear it on the '85 version of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, but it's there on the Remastered Classic CD.

Harry
...listening very carefully, getting closer now, so I will see what you mean, online..

Richard referred to this track in 2001 radio series -"Hush" caused problems with recordings and required double tracking on Karen's lead vocals plus Richard was unhappy with some keyboards work and wanted to remix / re-record some parts of this track :sad:

Remix / Re-Recording around 1992 Japanese release or completed for 1993 Readers Digest sets.

Peter

OK, after reading Harry's post I popped in my 1985 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE CD, and sure enough, the remix on it is the one without the "blip blip" at the word "it."

This is the same mix that appears on the original CD release of A KIND OF HUSH. Not a surprise there, since the original CDs often had remixes.

But why is the version on the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION labeled as the 1985 remix? It's different (it has the "blip blip" at that point), and it sounds more like the version on the "remastered classics" CD (which I assume is the original vinyl mix).

This is why I'm even more confused now. Are there really only two mixes? Does THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION contain the wrong mix? Or did Richard create two mixes in 1985, using one for some compilations and another for others? My head is spinning...

David

I'm a bit confused w/ this thread. I took a few minutes to listen at this point to hear this but I don't hear it on any of the Cd's I have w/ this song. (Wonder if this is part of the synthesizer your hearing.)

The CD's I have & listen to are:

22hits of the C's
25th Anniv Classics Volume #2
Readers Digest CD #2
My Original Kind of Hush CD #3197

Maybe you could list what CD's this blip blip appears?

davidgra said:
The 1985 remix appears on YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (the 1985 one) and THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION. The later (1991?) remix appears on the Time-Life CARPENTERS COLLECTION, the Reader's Digest collection, 22 HITS OF THE CARPENTERS and the 1998 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

Anyone know where the new remix came from? The Time-Life collection (1993) is the earliest CD I have with that remix, but the last big round of remixing had occurred in 1991.
It's a mystery to me...
David

Andrew, thanks but I actually read that already like 3 times & still am confused. I think all these re-mixes & where they are had gotton my head really confused. :D

I don't have the Essential Collection so maybe that is where this blep sound is on.

Chris, it's on your new box-set. On the word "it" and the first syllable of "isn't" (during the phrase, "..it isn't a dream."), you'll hear two staccato synthesizer notes. This was the original mix. Richard later removed it for its inclusion in most compilations.

Harry
NP: A Kind Of Hush

I finally got to "A Kind of Hush" CD from my new box set. I heard exactly what you are referring to David on the song. Nice catch David. It makes you wonder how this glitch got passed Richard before it went to production for Lp's. Wasn't during this time that he was having trouble & had to relinquest alot of work over to others? It's also interesting how glitches like this show up on the original Lp's but then get caught & don't make it to the original cd pressings.

This is another reason why I am so glad that I purchased this 35th anniv box set, I love the fact that not only is the artwork all pressed like the original cardboard, I finally have all the original mixes from the Lp's on digital format, these Japan remastered cd's are terrific sounding.

N.P. A Kind of Hush, 35th anniv cd....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom