Digipaks should be banned!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Reduced" is the operative word. Not "eliminated," necessarily. There is probably about 1/3 the plastic in a digipak as there is in a jewel box.

I would have found it much easier to swallow if Herb had used the reason for this packaging was that the digipak looked better, more authentic, or something regarding the improvement of the presentation of the actual merchandise. Environmentally, this is less than a drop in the bucket.

I've collected over 1000 cd since the mid 80's, and I would almost bet that I haven't thrown away more than 10 or 15 jewel cases in that time. However, I'd be willing to bet that I've thrown away 100x that amount of plastic, just in junk cds such as AOL that we get as junk mail. Are the "digipak=environmentally friendly" proponents assuming that 50% of the jewel cases will be trashed. Utterly mind-boggling.

I would like to think that I'm for things that are environmentally friendly, but the amount of cd jewel cases thrown away are miniscule.

Michael H.

Sorry, I have to disagree there. I work in a store which sells CDs. One of our hottest selling products is "CD wallets," in which you keep just the CD and the booklet. I have had customers bring in huge stacks of jewelboxes they were planning to throw away. They all eventually wind up in the landfill because we have no use for them except to replace the occasional cracked cover.

If Herb sells a million of these new CDs, and the digipak has 1/3 the plastic of a jewel box, that's the equivalent of 2 million jewel boxes worth of plastic that's not used. The CD wallet people may still throw the package away, but they'll be throwing away a lot less plastic.

Radio stations routinely toss away tons of plastic crap - jewel boxes, promo discs, cassettes, etc.

I've rescued a number of jewel boxes just for replacement use. Of course, whenever I replace a part, the bad part gets tossed - by me.

It a SIGNATURE SERIES digipak should go bad, plastic-wise, I'd peel the plastic off, toss it out, and either retrofit the rest of the package into a jewel case, or scan it and reduce it.

Harry

Mr Bill said:
Someone has a broken spindle in one of the Shout!Factory releases? I love to see that! Mine has nothing to "break" -- no worry about "broken teeth" on the spindle, as the hub is more or less solid, In fact I fear I'm going to break the CD every time I take it our -- it's hell getting it off that rock-solid spindle!!!

--Mr Bill
thinking maybe someone took a ball-peen hammer to your digipak and shattered the thing!
BUSTED by Bill! :laugh:

I have to throw my two cents in here. I'm soooo pleased that Herb showed the insight to release these discs in the classiest way possible. The covers are just too cool for words, IMO.

No offense to anyone, but I like my albums to have *graphics* like the lp's of old. I just started a record label and everything I release will be in digi-paks. The artwork in a jewel case is always obscured and the already-tiny cover has much less impact than in a digipak.

And I won't even go into the environmental/economic arguments...

I'd say if you're going to ban anything, make it jewel-cases.

Does this mean it was busted by Bill? Or that I was somehow being dishonest?

No big deal, 1 of the 5 pieces was broken out. I must admit that even with one missing, it still holds pretty well, unlike the normal spindle with a broken spline.

Michael H.

Harry said:
It a SIGNATURE SERIES digipak should go bad, plastic-wise, I'd peel the plastic off, toss it out, and either retrofit the rest of the package into a jewel case, or scan it and reduce it.

Harry

I just noticed that these are glued in four places under the disc. Not sure how easy the glue would let loose of the paper. Might work pretty well, or it could destroy the inside photo. These do seem quite permanent.

Dore Adler said:
The artwork in a jewel case is always obscured and the already-tiny cover has much less impact than in a digipak.

I'm not sure I quite understand how a jewel case "obscures" anything? If you keep your jewel cases in great shape, they should look great. If you rough them up, they'll look roughed up. If you rough up the cover of the digipak, it's gonna look bad also. How does it have less impact? The size is almost identical. The signature area of Herb's disc's would look just as great in a clear spined jewel case, I.M.O.

And I won't even go into the environmental/economic arguments...

I truly don't see the sale of Herb's cd's in a jewel case breaking the delicate balance of mother earth.

I'd say if you're going to ban anything, make it jewel-cases.
I'll never understand the vitriol directed at the poor, innocent jewel case. :cry:

Mike Blakesley said:
Sorry, I have to disagree there. I work in a store which sells CDs. One of our hottest selling products is "CD wallets," in which you keep just the CD and the booklet. I have had customers bring in huge stacks of jewelboxes they were planning to throw away. They all eventually wind up in the landfill because we have no use for them except to replace the occasional cracked cover.

If Herb sells a million of these new CDs, and the digipak has 1/3 the plastic of a jewel box, that's the equivalent of 2 million jewel boxes worth of plastic that's not used. The CD wallet people may still throw the package away, but they'll be throwing away a lot less plastic.

Excellent point Mike. I'd be curious to know(from your experience) if cd wallets are more popular among young or older buyers. I shutter at the thought of having my cds in these things. In my experience, I see lots of these wallets used for burnt cd copies(don't get me started on that). I'd almost bet that the majority of our board(AM Corner) doesn't buy cds then throw away the jewel case. (I must be getting too old.)

One advantage of the digipak that I like is the easy removal of the booklet.

Michael Harris

Man, here we are, one time slamming the disadvantages Digi-Pak's, now it looks like Jewel-Boxes are suddenly getting a beating!

...who prefers the REAL THIN Jewel-Cases, that can hold two CD's in one slot, though ya gotta eliminate much of the booklets and sometimes cut the back in-lay card to fit; which, I do... :scared: :winkgrin:

Dave

I'd be curious to know(from your experience) if cd wallets are more popular among young or older buyers.

Young. But then that's about 90% of our customers anyway. A bigger store would give a better idea. Personally I don't use a wallet myself, and tend to like jewelcases better, but any case will continue to look good if it's treated well, and will look beat-up if it's abused. (What are some people doing to their CDs anyway??)

spanky1 said:

No big deal, 1 of the 5 pieces was broken out. I must admit that even with one missing, it still holds pretty well, unlike the normal spindle with a broken spline.

Michael H.
Actually, I do know what you mean. I was kidding around. :wink:

Steven J. Gross said:
spanky1 said:

Michael H.
Actually, I do know what you mean. I was kidding around. :wink:

Well, that's too bad. I thought you had found the culprit that vandalized my digipak. I was just getting ready to contact Bill about my replacement that he owed me. :confused:

I must admit that I own a few of these thin cases. I find them handy to put dvd's in. I've bought a few television show multi-disk box sets for my children. Their ages are from 2-8, and that's a bad age for someone who is quite particular about keeping the boxes and booklets in immacualte shape. I now just take the dvd's out of the fancy cases and put them in the slim cases. Everyone is happy because I can keep the box and booklet intact, and they get their dvd's.

For cd storage, I don't find it useful. Fortunately, my eyesight is still pretty good, :blinkeye: so I can easily read the side of the regular size jewel case when trying to locate my cd's. I don't think I could read the side of a thin one.

Michael H.

Dave said:
Man, here we are one talking about the disadvantages Digi-Pak's, now it looks like Jewel-Boxes are suddenly getting a beating!

...who prefers the REAL THIN Jewel-Cases, that can hold two CD's in one spot, though ya gotta eliminate much of the booklets and sometimes cut the back in-lay card to fit; which, I do... :scared: :winkgrin:

Dave

Audiophile Phil wrote: Since the Lonely Bull, South of The Border and Lost Treasures have all been released in digipak, I wish and hope that the remaining TJB and solo albums will also be released in digipak for the sake of consistency. For a completist like me, it's great to have them all in digipaks.

That's the only good argument I can make for the cheap packaging. I have read from folks in the business that American reissue labels hope to sell around 7,000 copies of a catalog reissue (that's what the TJB material would be considered) over a 5 year period.

I hate Digi-Paks because I frequently put reissue CDs in a two disk pack so I can put a second homemade Cd of the songs they left off. In this case I cut up the Lonely Bull Digi-Pak and put the contents in a two pocket CD case so I would have my own dub of the original Lonely Bull and Acapulco 1922 single versions without the stereo over dubs of extra instruments that was not on the original hit versions.

Digi-Pak maybe the way Shout Factory does business but its too bad they didn't spend enough money on the packaging to buy jewel cases which as become the industry standard, instead of the sub standard digi-paks.

For a short time there was cheap CD packaging that some of the budget labels used called a CD Wallet. The only good thing about a carboard CD wallet is it would found out to alsmost full size album graphics if you wanted to use it for that, but they seldom did.

Digi-paks are far more expensive than jewel cases.

I may have sounded a little harsh about Jewel cases earlier. Actually, I'm for total freedom and rarely am I for banning anything! In a perfect world, labels would put out their product both ways so fans can have it their way. In fact, many cd's originally released in digi get the jewel-case treatment on later runs.

There are times when jewel cases have their advantages, kids and cd's for example. But most artists want their package to look as classy as it can, and the old lp-style design just says 'class.'

Just my two centavos.

Harry said:
Actually, I think that somewhere in carrier's lingo, "Fragile" means "drop-kick this package before delivery."

Oh Harry!! How many times I've wondered the same thing!!! You are definitely not alone on this one!!!! Then again, we have a sensational Mail Carrier in our new neighborhood...it's what happens to the thing before it arrives in his hands that gets me concerned!! :shock:

Jon

...relating to Harry online and off...

Actually I think the only good that comes from "FRAGILE" stickers are the profits made by the sticker company. A UPS guy told me that most damage happens during automated processing, not human handling.

Mike Blakesley said:
Actually I think the only good that comes from "FRAGILE" stickers are the profits made by the sticker company. A UPS guy told me that most damage happens during automated processing, not human handling.

You got that right! I can't tell you how many times I've had something that's completely ripped apart or shredded and "I'm" the one who has to deliver it. Of course, it doesn't help when it's not packed right in the first place! :confused:

Capt. Bacardi
...back from the deep south (and what post do I end up reading first???), online...

spanky 1 wrote:
herb does not want jewel cases for environmental reasons so the entire re-releases will be manufactured in digipaks.

That doesn't make sense because there is more paper in the Digi-Paks and its heavier paper than in the jewel cases both are shrink wrapped so you're not saving there. Unless a person took their CD and booklet out of the plastic case (which makes no sense either) I don't see it.

In the old days when Herb first issued the Tijania Brass CDs they came in a "long box" which was cardboard and was generally thrown away. I guess that is what he was thinking about.

Hey, Tall Paul. I don't want anyone to get the mistaken impression that I agreed with Herb's thought pattern. I was just passing on the quote form the record company, Shout Factory. Also, sounds like the paper stock is going to be even thicker in the future. You know where I stand on this.

Michael H.

TallPaul said:
spanky 1 wrote:
herb does not want jewel cases for environmental reasons so the entire re-releases will be manufactured in digipaks.

That doesn't make sense because there is more paper in the Digi-Paks and its heavier paper than in the jewel cases both are shrink wrapped so you're not saving there. Unless a person took their CD and booklet out of the plastic case (which makes no sense either) I don't see it.

In the old days when Herb first issued the Tijania Brass CDs they came in a "long box" which was cardboard and was generally thrown away. I guess that is what he was thinking about.

First, TallPaul and spanky1, you guys need to learn the fine art of quoting. It's not necessary to quote the complete text of the message above yours, but if you're using the 'quick reply' feature, you need to put the text you want to quote in between two tags. The tags are the word "quote" surrounded by brackets. The closing tag has a slash inside the first bracket. For example:

[tag] Here is your quoted text [/tag]

...and you would replace the word "tag" in my example with the word "quote."

Now, back to the debate. (By the way, digipaks ARE more expensive packaging than jewel boxes are. But, they are much lighter, therefore cheaper to ship, so the cost to the record company is probably about a wash. But for everyone, they are more environmentally friendly.

EDIT: To fix a slight mistake in my quoting instructions. :oops:

Mike Blakesley said:
First, TallPaul and spanky1, you guys need to learn the fine art of quoting.

I actually thought I was doing pretty well earlier in this thread by quoting only the pertinent part. You gotta give me credit for that.

I actually wanted to include his entire post.

Michael H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom