• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Donna Summer R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Another great one gone in the past week. :sad: First "Duck" Dunn, then Chuck Brown. Now, Donna Summer, at age 63 from cancer.

Her version of "MacArthur Park" (the full side-long medley version) was one of those great moments of the late 70s, her recordings also put producer/composer Giorgio Moroder on the map as well.

http://j.mp/LfDHll

Loved MacArthur Park Suite, Dinner with Gershwin, and This Time I Know It's For Real. May she rest in peace, and may her family be comforted by God.

That Suite brings back a lot of memories here. It's one of those sides I would listen to on the radio whenever it came on, all 17:47 of it. One caveat if you're trying to find the full original version of this side: either get it on the Live & More album, the Dance Collection CD, or play the 12" single (if you find one) and make certain that the remixed "Heaven Knows" is not used. I like the song, and the remix isn't bad on its own, but it does not fit the flow of the original Suite.

"I Feel Love" is another great track--one of the first major hits to have a fully synthesized backing track. It is also very spare and stripped-down, which was unusual in an era of musical excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom