• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Don't Be Afraid-Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was listening to Disc 1 of "From the Top" Box Set. I had not listened to this in a while.

I had been so use to hearing versions from the 45 single and from the CD Ticket to Ride.

The version on From the Top, this is a demo version right? It says 1968, this was the actual version that Herb Alpert listened to?

What did Richard mean on the linear notes...By mid 1968, Spectrum had disbanded, "Karen & I decided to record all the vocals ourselves"

Does that mean that the group Spectrum recorded Don't be Afraid in another type version?

How many versions of this song do you think there are?

It sounded like a demo version to me...this is what I meant about a glitch or crack in Karen's voice where she sang "don't be afraid to tell everyone YOOOOOOOOOU've loved" Can you hear it too?

I don't know about any of this...what I do know is that "Don't Be Afraid" is a classic Carpenters song and one of my favorites. :)

Jon

...adding my two cents...

You know, Chris, these would be wonderful questions to ask Richard on the new website. There is a button for "Fans Ask".

While we're on the subject of the website, there is a very lovely message on the home page.

Like Jon, I've always been very fond of this song.

Marilyn

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I was listening to Disc 1 of "From the Top" Box Set. I had not listened to this in a while.

I had been so use to hearing versions from the 45 single and from the CD Ticket to Ride.

The version on From the Top, this is a demo version right? It says 1968, this was the actual version that Herb Alpert listened to?

That's the way I always interpreted it.

What did Richard mean on the linear notes...By mid 1968, Spectrum had disbanded, "Karen & I decided to record all the vocals ourselves"

Does that mean that the group Spectrum recorded Don't be Afraid in another type version?

How many versions of this song do you think there are?

I suspect that Spectrum made some kind of demo recording of this song as well. To hear Spectrum, just listen to the prior track on FROM THE TOP/ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, "All I Can Do." Though Spectrum had a very Carpenters-like sound, having Karen and Richard doing all of the backing vocal harmonies is what set them apart from any other vocal group out there, IMHO. Ironically, some of the Spectrum members ended up being part of the "live" sound of Carpenters in concert.

Harry
NP: "Don't Be Afraid" demo

Marilyn, To be honest I have never even sent an email at all about the new Carpenters site. I probably should just to express how great this is to finally have an official site by Richard. But I just feel funny about it. I would however like to register my email to be on an official list if the new site offers something like this in the future. :)

I hate to admit this but I have a bootleg CD called More Offerings. The Disc or liner do not contain any track information. Because this thread is dicussing Sectrum, I was wonderng if anyone knows if I Fell In Love was a spectrum recording.Even though Karen is not singing lead vocals its a unique fun song.
JIM

To answer your question Jim, the song "I Fell In Love" is taken from the Carpenters appearance on the YOUR NAVY PRESENTS radio show in March 1970. It was Doug Strawn singing the lead vocals. On the same program, Doug and Karen sang a duet on "Cinderella Rockefella".

Murray

'Summerchimes' was a name of a group. Memebers were Karen, Richard, John Bettis, Gary Sims and Donny Woodhams. Then they were called 'Spectrum'. Leslie Johnston was a member of Spectrum. We can hear their "All I Can Do" and "You'll Love Me" on "from the top" box set.

Sakura

Thank you Sakura, that is so interesting! I think Im slipping!
Time to read the Ray Coleman book again! Hopefully we might have a chance to hear the other 8 songs you mentioned someday!! I really like the songs they did with spectrum. They always sounded like they were having a great time. I have a video where at the end Richard demonstrates the first recording device he owned and then goes on to say they would set up a microphone in the bathtub for echo!
can you imagine! Karen singing in the tub. The video is called Carpenters 2000 but does not mention anything about who produced it but it is deffinetly a Japan product and very candid. There are interviews with Richard at his home by the piano and also out side by the his pool. At the end he introduces his wife and childeren.
Does anyone have any other information about this video?
JIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom