"Don't Cry for Me Argentina" in Spanish?!

Kyle Thomas

I've been reading through Paul Tornbohm's new "On Track..." book that goes through all the Carpenters albums and songs (available as an import from the UK). It's a good overview of the Carpenters music overall.

What surprised me was a mention of a Spanish version of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" that Karen recorded. I've never heard that there was a recording in Spanish.

I've found some minor factual inaccuracies in the book, so it may be that this isn't so. I assume @Chris May could set the record straight. Is there a Spanish language version floating around somewhere?

IMG_8666.jpg

Maybe Billy Rees could help with that question as well? That would be awesome if it’s really sung in Español.

I see that there's a Mexican release on 45 called "No Llores Por Mi Argentina" but there's no notice or confirmation that it's actually sung in Spanish.

1708010305735.png

With the "Sing" Spanish version called "Canta", there was a note on the record - "Version en esapañol"

1708010409888.png

It will most likely be as Harry said - a Spanish-territory release where the sleeve or label title was translated for the local record-buying public. Yet another author who doesn't check their facts. Is this the so-called Professor of Rock by any chance?

The only way to know for sure is for someone to play that record and see if Karen starts singing in Spanish.

I'm doubtful, but wow -- what a find it would be.

I have this single, and Karen does sing in English.

It was never going to be in Spanish. It would make no sense to be recording an album track in Spanish at this stage in their careers that was not destined as a single in any major territory for them. If it had existed, we would all have known about it long before now :laugh:

Lots of acts, particularly in the 70s and 80s, had their singles released with translated sleeves aimed at the local markets.

It will most likely be as Harry said - a Spanish-territory release where the sleeve or label title was translated for the local record-buying public. Yet another author who doesn't check their facts. Is this the so-called Professor of Rock by any chance?
HEH.😏

I'm old enough to remember hearing Beatles songs in German. Also, it reminds me of Karen singing part of "Sing" in Japanese on the Johnny Carson show...But that made sense when she toured, and would be easier to do a stanza or two. Man, I could spend days on this forum. A lot of fun stuff.

Back
Top Bottom