Rare "Recording Argentina Photo" and a Revisited/Fresh Look at Passage

Mark-T

By next week, I'm hoping to finish up my detailed look at the album Passage. This time out, in the context of my article, I'll be sharing a couple of rare photos, including one I've never shared before: a full color photo of the duo in the studio to record Don't Cry for Me Argentina.

For those of you newer to the Boards, I am one of the fortunate ones who lived through the original peak of the Carpenters popularity, got to see them live in concert, and even met Karen and Richard backstage.

I had written an album review for each one about ten years ago. One day I realized that much like my views on life, my thoughts on the albums had changed as well. So I began a new series . I call it Carpenters Revisited: A Fresh Look at ________________________.

The older reviews are still there. For each review, old and new, I've tried to use a different set of images to tell the story. (There's also tons of stand-alone blog posts on Carpenters.)

Starting with Offering/Ticket to Ride, I've recently completed Live at the Palladium.

In each of these articles, I weave in my story of living in Southern California during that time and also take a look at the music industry and sales charts for the era. I attempt to dig deeper into their career and the impact of each disc.

For any of you who'd like to read one of the other reviews for a taste of it, here's the Fresh Look/Revisited review for Horizon. Hope you enjoy these!

Well, I think I'm done with it. I'm always tinkering. (Think of it like doing a remix! :))

I'm going to chew on the end result for the rest of next week, and if I'm ok with leaving it alone, it will be published a week from today.

I'd like to thank our friend @goodjeans in advance for an idea I had some fun with.

One thing is certain, it's a lengthy read with some good photos.

For those of you newer to the Boards, I am one of the fortunate ones who lived through the original peak of the Carpenters popularity, got to see them live in concert, and even met Karen and Richard backstage.
Wow - that’s only happened in my dreams...ha, ha

Thank You Mark for the thoughtful review.

I always thought Sweet Sweet Smile always had an ABBA vibe to it.
My opinion back in 77, Karen & Richard out ABBA’d ABBA with Sweet Sweet Smile.

Thank You Mark for the thoughtful review.

I always thought Sweet Sweet Smile always had an ABBA vibe to it.
My opinion back in 77, Karen & Richard out ABBA’d ABBA with Sweet Sweet Smile.
You're very welcome! I never thought of SSS that way. I'll have to listen to it again with that in mind.

Speaking of ABBA, guitarist Lasse Wellander has died of cancer at 70 years old on April 7. ABBA Guitarist Lasse Wellander Dead at 70 After Cancer Battle

A comment from a good friend of mine who attended the ABBA Museum convention in Sweden one year when Lasse was the special guest:

“He played the intro to ‘Gimme, Gimme, Gimme’, ‘Eagle’ and the instrumental part of ‘Slipping Through My Fingers’, it was amazing. He then played the guitar part of ‘Knowing Me, Knowing You’, then the harmony guitar part. Awesome”.

On a related note, I attended the ABBA Voyage show in London last night for the second time in a year and it was as unbelievable as the first time. The opening number “The Visitors” is spectacular and breathtaking.

By next week, I'm hoping to finish up my detailed look at the album Passage. This time out, in the context of my article, I'll be sharing a couple of rare photos, including one I've never shared before: a full color photo of the duo in the studio to record Don't Cry for Me Argentina.

I had written an album review for each one about ten years ago. One day I realized that much like my views on life, my thoughts on the albums had changed as well. So I began a new series . I call it Carpenters Revisited: A Fresh Look at ________________________.

The older reviews are still there. For each review, old and new, I've tried to use a different set of images to tell the story. (There's also tons of stand-alone blog posts on Carpenters.)

Starting with Offering/Ticket to Ride, I've recently completed Live at the Palladium.

In each of these articles, I weave in my story of living in Southern California during that time and also take a look at the music industry and sales charts for the era. I attempt to dig deeper into their career and the impact of each disc.

For any of you who'd like to read one of the other reviews for a taste of it, here's the Fresh Look/Revisited review for Horizon. Hope you enjoy these!
What a great second look at PASSAGE. For those of us who grew up with the Carpenters music in the 70s, it certainly was a decade of metamorphosis. Have you given any thought to doing a premier review of the RPO album after you finish all of your "Fresh Looks"?

What a great second look at PASSAGE. For those of us who grew up with the Carpenters music in the 70s, it certainly was a decade of metamorphosis. Have you given any thought to doing a premier review of the RPO album after you finish all of your "Fresh Looks"?
Thank you!

Yes, absolutely, @John Tkacik, I'll review the RPO disc. I was pretty burned out on writing when the RPO album was released. This time, I'm planning to add a review when it comes in order of the other albums.

@Mark-T I really enjoyed reading your blog. I found it very fascinating that you got to watch them live. I can only dream having became a fan in 2018. Right now I'm going to start reading your revised look at the tan album. Then I'll go back and read the originals.

I enjoyed reading your post. One thing that I thought was odd was a paragraph from an article you included that mentioned Karen was no longer playing drums. She said that Richard wanted a stronger sound, “and I no longer have the strength.” I know she was struggling with mental (and therefore physical) illness, but it’s a heartbreaking, but unfortunately not eye-opening, quote to hear from someone in her mid-20s.

One thing that I thought was odd was a paragraph from an article you included that mentioned Karen was no longer playing drums. She said that Richard wanted a stronger sound, “and I no longer have the strength.” I know she was struggling with mental (and therefore physical) illness, but it’s a heartbreaking, but unfortunately not eye-opening, quote to hear from someone in her mid-20s.

The quote might have been taken out of context. She may have just meant “to do both” i.e. singing all the lead vocals and playing all the drums.

Hi @Martin Medrano. I'm glad you're enjoying reading the blog. I think you'll like seeing all the different graphics and such from the original reviews to the revisited ones. You'll also see my perspective change over the years on certain songs- but maybe not on Druscilla Penny. :wink:

I enjoyed reading your post. One thing that I thought was odd was a paragraph from an article you included that mentioned Karen was no longer playing drums. She said that Richard wanted a stronger sound, “and I no longer have the strength.” I know she was struggling with mental (and therefore physical) illness, but it’s a heartbreaking, but unfortunately not eye-opening, quote to hear from someone in her mid-20s.
Thank you, @benm1976 and welcome to the Boards!
I agree with you. It is a very sad statement. Especially since she loved drumming so much and we her fans loved hearing and watching her do it. Perhaps the quote was meant differently. I wish we could ask her, right?

Thank you, @benm1976 and welcome to the Boards!
I agree with you. It is a very sad statement. Especially since she loved drumming so much and we her fans loved hearing and watching her do it. Perhaps the quote was meant differently. I wish we could ask her, right?
Who knows if she even really said it, but it’s very sad nevertheless. We still have a way to go, but I think we’ve come a long way in normalizing treating mental health. It’s no more shameful than being physically ill, but obviously mental illness still has more of a stigma unfortunately. I can’t help but think if she had been born 30 years later, she would’ve received the help she needed.

Well, I think I'm done with it. I'm always tinkering. (Think of it like doing a remix! :))

I'm going to chew on the end result for the rest of next week, and if I'm ok with leaving it alone, it will be published a week from today.

I'd like to thank our friend @goodjeans in advance for an idea I had some fun with.

One thing is certain, it's a lengthy read with some good photos.
I just went into your blog for the first time, Mark. I haven't read anything yet but I enjoyed looking at the photos! The shot of Karen during recording of 'Don't Cry for Me, Argentina' is nice. Very similar to the one in 'Carpenters: The Musical Legacy', but different.

I liked all the photos of picture covers and sheet music, etc., as well. I've got some of those, but not all.

It was fun to return in my head for a moment to the time when 'Passage' was first released.

I'll return to read when I have more time.

Congratulations on your fresh look at Passage, @Mark-T. It is a really good read. And I enjoyed what you shared in your yellow brick road story :)

I always saw the C’s instincts in 1977 on Passage as heading in a promising direction. The hidden gem that I took from Passage is that B’wana, Two Sides and All I Get were the gifts that should have kept on giving. Richard and Karen were already the ballad high bar. That was a nice reset for them. Not segueing in that direction may be a missed opportunity.

@Nemily, I agree that those songs represented a good direction for them. It's too bad Christmas Portrait was followed by nothing after 'breaking the ice'.
Thank you, too, for your kind words about the Passage review!

Back
Top Bottom