• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Double's Felix Haug Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Some sad news to report. Felix Haug, who was half of the A&M act Double died of a heart attack yesterday at the age of 52. From the L.A. Times:

Felix Haug, 52; His Band Had Hit Song 'Captain of Her Heart'

Felix Haug, half of the band Double that had a worldwide hit with the song "The Captain of Her Heart" in the 1980s, died Saturday of a heart attack, the Associated Press reported out of Zurich, Switzerland. He was 52.

Haug, a drummer and keyboard player, joined the trio Ping Pong in 1980 along with singer and guitarist Kurt Maloo. They later decided to perform as a duo and formed Double in 1983.

The band was a popular Swiss musical act. "The Captain of Her Heart" sold more than 1.5 million singles to become a top 10 hit across Europe in 1986 and reached No. 16 in the U.S. charts.

Capt. Bacardi

Bummer. :sad: "The Captain of Her Heart" was one of the first two or three 45s I ever bought. (I was only 7 at the time, and I was absolutely crazy about that song!!!) Still one of my favorite '80s songs. Everytime I hear it on the radio (although I strangely never hear it on anything but smooth-jazz stations), I'm always struck by how fresh it sounds to this day - pretty timeless record.
It's unfortunate that they never had another hit, though, 'cause the band had such a great, relaxing sound, and some of their other material was just as strong as "Captain." "Woman of the World" could have gone Top 40. And "Wrong Time" from the follow-up album DOU3LE is easily my all-time favorite song to clock in at two minutes or less. Absolutely dynamite song.

He shall be missed!

Jeff F.
NP: Double "The Captain of Her Heart"

For information on Double, go to: www.maloo.de or www.maloo.com (Official website) & www.double-online.com For the samples of the videos, click on photos on MEDIA site. The video for "Rangoon Moon" from 1984 is 1:21. The video for "The Captain Of Her Heart" from 1986 is 1:05. Finally, the video for "Devils Ball" from 1987 is 1:28 in which Herb Alpert plays the trumpet. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom