• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Early 12000 series singles.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Just to fill in the numbers up to 12014 which we're posting as our "debut SOTW" (Single Of The Week)...

12001 - Karma "Funk De Mambo (Dance To The Music)(Pt 1)" / "Funk De Mambo (Dance To The Music) (Pt 2)" (features Horizon Label since this came form thier debut LP on that A&M imprint)
sp12001.jpg

12002 - Pablo Cruise "Whatcha Gonna Do?" / ? (some sources say this is Quincy Jones "Stuff Like That")
sp12002.jpg
12003 - Brothers Johnson "Strawberry Letter 23" / "Get The Funk Outta My Face"
sp12003.jpg

12004 - LTD "We Party Hearty" / "Back In Love Again"
sp12004.jpg

12005 - Preston, Billy "Disco Dancin'" / "Wide Stride"
(Generic A&M 12" single sleeve)

12006 - Badazz "Honk Honk Beep Beep" / "Honk Honk Beep Beep"
sp12006.jpg
(Also released as promo A&M SP 17016)
note: Badazz is Randy "Badazz" Alpert, Herb Alpert's nephew, noted for co-writing Herb Alpert's "comeback" hit song "Rise" with partner Andy Armer. Badazz and Armer later released an A&M album under the name "RandyAndy" which featured a few singles in the SP 12000 series... Randy released another Badazz single called "Buck$" before partnering with Armer.

12007 - unknown (some sources give this as Preston, Billy "Disco Dancin'" / "Wide Stride" (SP12005))

12008 - Dickies, The "Paranoid" / "Hideous" + "You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla)" 10" white vinyl
sp12008.jpg

12009 - Raes, The "A Little Lovin' (Keeps the Doctor Away)" (Disco Version) / "A Little Lovin' (Keeps the Doctor Away)" (Radio Version)

12010 - unknown

12011 - Brothers Johnson "Ain't We Funkin' Now" (Disco Version) / "Ain't We Funkin' Now (Radio Version)

12012 - Bell & James "Livin' It Up (Friday Night)" / "Don't Let The Man Get You"

12013 - Krypton "Can You Read My Mind" (Long Version) / "Can You Read My Mind" (Short Version)

Mr. Bill, I can confirm that the catalog number for Pablo Cruise's "Whatcha Gonna Do? is SP-12002. The catalog number for Quincy Jones' "Stuff Like That" is in the 17000 series. Specifically it is SP-17019.

That 12" for LTD's "We Party Hearty/(Every Time I Turn Around) Back In Love Again", that's the first time I've seen a white label pressing of that commercially released single. The first promotional release of that single has the same extended disco version that runs 8:37 and has the same mix on both sides. But the main difference is that it has a different catalog number from the other pressing. The first promo has the catalog number AM-8442 and comes in a non die-cut white sleeve with a custom ID sticker on the front.

One other thing about the commercial release of that LTD 12". Some copies of the single have a solid sleeve without a die cut hole in the center like the majority of copies out there do. I have one of those too. :D

JH,

There does not seem to be a consistency in which sleeve A&M used for their 12" singles. For generic sleeves there's plain black with die-cut hole, plain white with and without die-cut hole. There are two "Disco generics" that I can think of off the top of my head (since I'm at work for a couple hours to cover a Memorial Day event and can't go to my collection at the moment) the canvas looking dancer one and the black with "neon Disco" version. Later (post-disco) there were others as well. One thing I liked about the pre-17xxx promo 8xxx series was the use of printed stickers to give the sleeve a "cover" of sorts. I don't have many of these, but they're interesting.

--Mr Bill

Mr. Bill, the two 12" sleeves you mentioned are the only ones I recall A&M using from 1978 to 1980. For the majority of their promo only releases they used generic sleeves made of recycled cardboard stock with a white matte covering. And of course some had custom artwork or were just the plain non-die cut variety with a custom sticker pasted on the front.

The only other one I have similiar to the LTD promo is my copy of Cat Stevens' "Was Dog A Doughnut?".

Back
Top Bottom