Everything from Herb Alpert that went on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodb

Does anyone have a list of everything from Herb Alpert that went on CD? CD Singles, foreign releases, promos etc?

Are the Jpn LP Sleeve CDs the same mixes as the Shout! releases?

Looking for any and all info on the digital Herb Alpert. Thanks, Rod.

As for the domestic releases, every album he's made has been on CD with the exception of THE BRASS ARE COMIN', WARM, SUMMERTIME, CONEY ISLAND and YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS. Also a CD no-show is the solo album JUST YOU AND ME. All of his other solo albums have been released on CD, but none are available today.

THE BRASS ARE COMIN' was released on CD in Japan only.

As far as I know, the Shout Japan releases use the same mixes as the US releases.

I think that covers all the US releases. As far as CD singles and promo items and non-domestic stuff, others will probably chime in soon.

Actually, two more should be mentioned.

HERB & HUGH-MAIN EVENT LIVE has never been on CD.

BEYOND was only a Japanese-issue CD.

Harry

WARM apparently will never be a CD. VERY SAD FOR REAL FANS- The re-releases are incomplete- in a MAJOR WAY. It's a mystery.

There was some kind of obsession with "Whipped Cream", an album which had a run on CD already- then "Rewhipped", a disaster.

That was a mistake- and Herb did nothing but ERODE his real fanbase.

Steven J. Gross said:
There was some kind of obsession with "Whipped Cream", an album which had a run on CD already- then "Rewhipped", a disaster.

That was a mistake- and Herb did nothing but ERODE his real fanbase.

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I don't agree with either of those statements, and I don't think I'm alone...not with REWHIPPED being ranked so high on the jazz charts and being so well thought-of here at the Forum.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion; but I think some of those opinions are being run into the ground, and that's not what I come to this site for.

Can we PLEASE move on?

Dan

Hopefully this Thread will discuss Herb Alpert on pre-Shout! Factory -issued CD's... (ie Imports and first-run A&M)

Seems as though we can't have much of a conversation on Herb Alpert on CD without it turning into an "I Want _____ Reissued" discussion and there seems to be a few hints of that, not helped by the dislike of one recent release that just got a lil' "tweaked up" without really diminishing the original, even if it was the "last thing released", so far...

Dave

* ...Warm, Warm, Summertime, Brass Are Comin' and ...Volume 2, yes, ...Volume 2--Hey, Shout! Factory, Hey, Shout! Factory... (* --to the tune of "Up, Up and Away")

Thanks Harry. I wasn't sure about MAIN EVENT, and I thought BEYOND did have a domestic release. (Seems odd that it didn't since it came after RISE, but I guess CDs weren't quite as common at that point.)

All you reissue complainers, please direct such comments to an appropriate thread (of which there are many) so we can keep this thread on track with the requested information.

DAN BOLTON said:
Can we PLEASE move on?

worship.gif
All Hail Bolton!!!

--Mr Bill

I've mentioned this before, but i feel HA has let his lifelong fans down badly by not completing the CD issues/re-issues during the course of the signature series. People on this forum have said "be patient"! I say, "how patient do you want me to be - 37 years for Warm and still counting"!

How much would it really have cost HA (and I am not just referring to financially) to have finally helped to realise the dreams of those fans who have been collecting his music over all these years.

The way I feel at the moment, I am almost ready to wash my hands of HA and move on, given the cost to me of obtaining a CD collection of HA's music.

Len

[RANT mode on]
I'm a lifelong fan and don't feel let down at all. Do I want more re-issues? Sure. But I'm also happy to have what we have - grateful for what HAS been released. I never thought I'd see SOUNDS LIKE and NINTH on official CDs, let alone an entire disc of previously unreleased Tijuana Brass recordings. (Yes, I know some were redone tracks from YOU SMILE -THE SONG BEGINS, but even without counting those, there's an entire disc-worth of new stuff.)

So let's assume the worst case scenario, that WARM, BRASS ARE COMIN', SUMMERTIME, YOU SMILE THE SONG BEGINS, and CONEY ISLAND are buried forever in the vaults and will never come out on CD. Does that stop me from listening to these great tracks? No. I have a device that actually plays the old vinyl discs. It's called a turntable, and each of those albums is usually findable for about $5 each, maybe $10 in really good condition. I also have a device that captures the sound from the turntable and puts those great sounds onto a CD-R, for my own enjoyment. And in fact, I've already done that. They sound great, and I can enjoy them on any CD player in the world.

OK, so you're having a bit of trouble maybe finding one of these old albums in decent enough shape? Keep the quest going. They're out there. You'll find it. And it'll make the quest that much more enjoyable when you do find it.

Turntable? Yeah - turntable. Plays records. You can buy cheap ones that work well enough in almost any big box retailer, or more expensive ones from niche retailers, or good used ones from eBay or any garden variety yard sale.

CD recorder. It's almost impossible to find a computer these days that DOESN'T come with a CD recorder drive in it. A bit of software and some creative cabling and you're off. Or a dedicated CD Recorder for your stereo system isn't very expensive either.

Too much time and effort? Well then, I feel sorry for you. If taking a little time, money, and effort to provide yourself with what you really want is too much, then you'll have to find another "hobby".

Patient? I'm very patient - and I waited a good fifteen years for WARM to be re-issued on CD without any results. (You can't count the years from 1969 to about 1984 or 85, since CDs didn't exist.) In the late '90s, I did my own transfer to CD. I'm satisfied - AND I'll be first in line when and if WARM is ever re-issued on CD.[RANT mode off]

Any chance we can get this thread back on track? The poor original poster asked a question about what's out there. Not what's NOT out there.

Harry

Harry said:
[RANT mode on]lI'm a lifelong fan...I'll be first in line when and if WARM is ever re-issued on CD.[RANT mode off]

Any chance we can get this thread back on track?

worship.gif
All Hail Harry!!!

--Mr Bill

Like I said, it's hard to discuss Herb Alpert, period--without talking about what's NOT on CD...!!! :rolleyes:

Dave

Found these. Are these correct or any others?

Keep Your Eye On Me CD:SINGLE
This Guy's In Love With You/Rise CD:SINGLE
Beba CD:SINGLE
Jump Street CD:SINGLE
3 O'Clock Jump CD:SINGLE
North On South St 7-track - a promo?
Diamonds Remix - a promo?
A Taste of Sampler

Thanks, Rod.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything that Harry has said concerning the reissues (or lack thereof), but I'm just asking for the sake of curiosity: Does anyone find it unusual that "Warm" never even saw a Japanese cd release, given their good track record of remastering and reissuing material that is basically given up on in the U.S.? That is the real puzzle to me.

NJB

sbsugar said:
Does anyone find it unusual that "Warm" never even saw a Japanese cd release, given their good track record of remastering and reissuing material that is basically given up on in the U.S.? That is the real puzzle to me.

I find it interesting that WARM is almost treated as an unwanted stepchild in the Alpert canon by those in official capacity, yet it contained the recognizable hits of "Zazueira", "Without Her" and "To Wait For Love".

Yet I can also understand the reason why. After topping the charts with BEAT OF THE BRASS, WARM only managed a 28th place on the Billboard chart.

I have no information on how it fared in Japan. Perhaps it "failed" there too.

Harry

The original poster asked how the Japan issues compared with the Shout! reissues. One quick note: On eBay I saw a few Japanese pressings of TJB CDs and I noticed that Whipped Cream there doesn't have the bonus tracks. (An odd switch; often Japanese pressings have extra tracks available only in Japan.) Not sure if these eBay listings were the latest set of reissues, but if they are then they probably more resemble the original LP mixes. But this is only a guess.

You can rant on all you like Harry but I was making the simple point that by now HA could have satisfied and rewarded all of his 40 yr fans by releasing the rest of his catalogue on CD. I am entitled to this opinion.

I don't necessarily want to play an LP, or manufacture a CDR, I would prefer a nicely packaged digitally remastered CD with quality liner notes to complete my cherished collection!

I also do not remember referring to "time and trouble". I am a very patient person and in fact have always appreciated things more when i have had to wait for them. However, I do take your point regarding when the CD format was introduced.

I am entitled to feel let down by HA, as I have had to invest a lot of money in trying to put together a CD collection of his music.

In reality, what would it cost him to complete these CD issues/re-issues? And it would fulfill his fans dreams.

I am surprised at your attitude and i am sure that if it were to be put to the vote on this forum, you would be in the minority in your approach to this subject.

Len

Len: If you go back through the Herb Alpert forum you will find hundreds of posts all wanting the same thing: The complete catalog reissued.

At the risk of sounding like a broken (vinyl) record again, I'll repeat this once more: We have NOT been told that the reissues are over; in fact, we HAVE been told that there is more Herb activity to come. What form it will take (box set, best-of, two-fers or straight reissues), or the time frames involved, we don't know.

Keep in mind that Herb is still full of stamina and new ideas; he's not retired or anything of the sort. He knows we all want more reissues, and so do the people at Shout Factory. He does things in his own way and his own time.

Len: I am with You all the way on this subject, there seem to be a minority of people on this forum who seem to be happy with the gaps in the re-issue programme and keep repeating " be patient and they will be issued ". Well I am a optimist but I somehow doubt that we will see Vol 2, Warm and T.B.A.C as well as Summertime etc. I still don't understand why they were not issued in the first place - any logical person would expect ALL of the albums to be released in the order that they were released originally. Why miss out certain albums and why those particular albums? We know Herb dislikes Vol 2 but the fact is that it is part of the catalogue regardless of what Herb thinks of it. I am not going to apologise for repeating my frustration - we all have an opinion and this is mine - so Please don't continue to try and sweep it under the carpet, pretending it's not an issue - because quite clearly it is! Who cares if people keep posting about this subject? If it irrates You then don't read it! Probably most people want to hear our views - which is what a forum is all about ( ! ) :mad:

I guess it's a glass-half=empty/glass-half-full situation. I tend to be the optimist, hoping that things that I want to happen, will. I don't spend my time complaining about what's not available - I'd rather spend that time revelling in what IS.

I also don't discourage those who care to engage in the "I wish..." game, and I hope it brings you both what you desire and the happiness that goes along with it. I just have a hard time seeing things that way - hence my rant.

Len - keep leading the charge, but I think we'd all hope that it be done in the proper threads. This WAS, at one time, a thread about what's been made available on CD. My apologies to the original poster for not only permitting the thread to degrade, but for participating in that degradation.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom