Everything from Herb Alpert that went on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry - it's only in Your opinion that the thread has " degraded ". No - one else has complained and not only that, threads do have a tendency to "wander" off course, that's because people are presented with a chance to respond to that thread with their opinion or another viewpoint. Make sense to You? My glass is also half full - grateful for what we have had so far but looking forward to much more :thumbsup: :D

Forgive me for trying to maintain a bit of integrity in our database. Some poor soul in the future will be looking for a list of Herb Alpert releases on CD, see this title and think he's hit paydirt. Instead, he'll find a bunch of whining and discourse about what people in 2006 DIDN'T have that they felt they were somehow entitled to.

I'll give this just one more chance. If "lonely bull" and "lswilson99" feel that they need to discuss what's NOT on CD, please take it to another thread.

THIS ONE'S NOT ABOUT THAT. EITHER LIST CD'S THAT DO EXIST OR DON'T POST HERE.

Here, I'll start.

My oddest Herb Alpert CD is one I found on eBay. It's apparently a 1986 German release through PolyGram called HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS - THE VERY BEST. (396 906-2) This one has an odd "The Lonely Bull" track that fades in in the beginning, something that was later used on one of those GOLD SERIES discs.

Harry
...Yes, I'm shouting, because I'm THIS close to closing this thread, something I DON'T want to do, online...

I would also like to add Definitive Hits, as well as one other Compilation, I think with Herb on the cover with a lOT of trumpets behind him... Then there's also a couple of A&M's Classics, Volume...-series, one containing Herb Alpert & TjB and another containing solo Herb...

Harry said:
...Yes, I'm shouting, because I'm "THIS" close to closing this thread...!!! ...Something I DON'T want to do, Online...!!!

Well, I would say that we all just calm down, and maybe put a lil' Pete Jolly's Herb Alpert Presents... on the turntable--(Oh, Darn! Now, THAT'S NOT ON CD, EITHER!) :mad: --and now that yet another discussion is started OUTSIDE this Thread, that we eliminate some of these "Troll Posts" (Gulp! Including this one...) :freak: --and continue our Topic as planned...!

Dave

...Preventing yet another :love: -ailment, here, Online...! :neutral:inkshield:

This thread was started to find out what all was available on CD. This seemed to be the place for that discussion. I'm collecting, and wanted to know all the different variations of what had been released on CD. Different release dates on the same CD, domestic and imports versions etc.

I was hoping someone had already put together a list and make it easy for me.

Steve, how did you come by those Japanese CDs? Is there a site in Japan that exports music?

I am putting together a list of what I see from GEM, eBay and google. I am buying one of everything I can find. I am just past the halfway point I think...

Rob,

CDBBQ puts anything on CD. Their way around piracy laws is they're selling you a Vinyl LP and "throwing in" a CD copy of it, just like you would if you legally made a home cassette or CDR copy "for personal use."

I've never used them but folks i know who have say they're more or less satisfied with the end result.

--Mr Bill

I don't see the advantage of CDBBQ. If you're gonna make a CD of something, you need to get to the stage before the vinyl, not after it. CD's operate on another plane so nothing extraordinary can come from this. Add to that the fact that they use noise reduction and that's all the proof one needs that they really are fairly clueless.

Noise reduction techniques never work on anything. All they do is sap the life out of the recording. I can't stand it when record companies do it on remasters either. Listen to the fade-outs on albums they've used NR on. It's like someone put a blanket over the speaker. All the fidelity and "life" is sucked away. Hiss just isn't that big of a deal. I always leave it when I'm remastering older tape because it truly is the lesser of the two evils.

Ed

There are many services I have found that will digitize an album for you. Most digitize an album you send them. I found one service online that doesn't use NR.

I thought about doing it myself but it would cost a small fortune to get the best equipment to eek out the best fidelity possible. If I really had to have it i'd send it off and let a professional do it.

I guess vinyl would be the best option available since none of us have access to anything before it.

Noise reduction can be used with great results. You just have to use a very light touch and don't try to remove ALL the noise. When working with LPs, the best friend a person can have is software that removes the clicks'n'pops.

You don't need anything really expensive. I use Sound Forge and its accessory Noise Reduction module, a total expense of around $500. Other than that, the main thing you need is a good turntable. Just about any modern computer can handle the work.

When I first started using SF, I was too heavy-handed with it, but a lot of experimentation pays off handsomely.

The CDBBQ website is right about one thing: Most records will never make it to CD, so if you want CD copies of a lot of music, doing it yourself (or hiring it done) is the only way to go.

And, we can just about guarantee one thing: The minute all fans have made their own copies of WARM, THE BRASS ARE COMIN' etc. on CD-Rs, Shout! Factory will distribute a press-release announcing the records' imminent arrival on CD. So fire up the burners, folks! :D

Mike Blakesley said:
Noise reduction can be used with great results. You just have to use a very light touch and don't try to remove ALL the noise. When working with LPs, the best friend a person can have is software that removes the clicks'n'pops.

That's very true but, as you said, one must use a very light touch.

You don't need anything really expensive. I use Sound Forge and its accessory Noise Reduction module, a total expense of around $500. Other than that, the main thing you need is a good turntable. Just about any modern computer can handle the work.

I use Adobe Audition myself. It works quite well. I even use it when I'm doing remasters from master reels. It also has a pretty decent "de-popper". Of course, coming off of a record and trying to bring it into the digital domain will never give an audiophile any thrills.

When I first started using SF, I was too heavy-handed with it, but a lot of experimentation pays off handsomely.

I don't even go down that road. The very nature of how NR works is antithetical to producing good fidelity. You can only lose by trying to remove hiss. To get the hiss out, you have to take out "high end". To my ears, it truly isn't a big enough deal. I'd rather have hiss and signal than no hiss and diminished signal.

Ed

rodb said:
I guess vinyl would be the best option available since none of us have access to anything before it.

Oh, definitely. Anything cassette-related should be avoided at all costs. The fidelity ain't that great to begin with and magnetic tape is a haven for hiss. First of all, you get the hiss from the analog master tape used to make the cassette. Then, you get the hiss from the cassette itself. You end up with one overly-noisy mess. Best to avoid cassettes or anything cassette-related and stick to the LP.

Ed

I just won this one on eBay. Had never heard of it before.

HERB ALPERT A Portrait In Music (1997 US 43-track promotional 2-CD album set, custom tri-fold card picture sleeve.

Rod

The good Captain is our expert on that "PORTRAIT" CD. Ask him about it sometime!

:)

Harry

Were all of the Herb Alpert and TJB albums originally released on CD in the U.S. also released in Japan (in the series that included The Brass are Comin' and other exclusive titles) as well?

I think the series was the same in both countries - with the exception of SRO and THE BRASS ARE COMIN, which were released in Japan only.

NINTH and SOUNDS LIKE had never been released on CD until the recent Shout!Factory releases.

Only WARM, SUMMERTIME, YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS and CONEY ISLAND have never been on CD at all.

john taulton said:
to andrew turnbull,do you know if the brass are comin is still inprint on cd from japan.thanks john
No; as far as I know that CD hasn't been available in years.

That said, I decided to throw together a prototypical chart detailing Herb's CD issues, past and present, here. Feel free to make any corrections. :)

Confirmed, it's no longer in print. Turns up on eBay now and then for hundreds of dollars. Which is a mystery...it's an OK album but far from Herb's best, IMHO. If I had to pick one TJB album to never release on CD, this is the one I'd pick.

Andrew T,

Very good list (and colorful to look at) though I'd take issue with your use of the word "rare" as many of the US 1988 A&M CD releases came into print at the same time and seemed to go out of prrint at about the same time (except for LB and WC&OD which were in print until a few years ago).

Of course, you list does not include those compilations that were ONLY released in other countries or CD singles.

--Mr Bill

Herb Alpert Magic Man CD MINT RARE No Reserve!!! went for $224.72
Herb Alpert Beyond CD MINT EXTREMELY RARE No Reserve!!! went for $191.38

I bid high but not high enough. These are two of the three that I need yet. Do they show up on eBay often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom