• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Favorite Early Alpert 45s

Which Is Your Favorite Early Herb 45?

• Sweet Georgia Brown/Viper's Blues

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The Trial/Kiss Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summer School/The Hully Gully

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Gonna Get A Girl/Dreamland

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Little Lost Lover/Won't You Be My Valentine

• Tell It To The Birds/Fallout Shelter

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Dina/You're Doin' What You Did With Me With Him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd Do It All Again/Special Kind Of Love

• Never Heard Any Of These Songs

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Bacardi said:
There was also a Dore label in the 50's, but it had nothing to do with Herb.

Actually, that's not true. Herb (with Lou Adler) produced an album and half-dozen or so singles for Jan & Dean (including the Top 10 "Baby Talk") on the Dore label during 1959 - 1961, so he was affiliated with it. I don't know the extent of his involvement with the label beyond that though.

Does anyone know what year Herb's son Dore was born? If it were around that same time, was he perhaps named after the label? Such an unusual name it's hard to believe it would be a coincidence.

Summer School is the only one on the list I actually enjoy as music and not just as a curiosity. Great beat, fun lyrics.

"Summer School, that ain't cool."

This would be my very first post here. Thanks for allowing me to participate.

My main reason for joining this group was to find out what I didn't already know about early Herb Alpert records.

I just voted for "Dreamland" as a personal favorite. (I personally think the focus for the vote should be on the individual songs rather than the records as a whole, but that's just My opinion.)

In viewing the listing, however, I noticed an ommision, overlooked likely because of it's obscurity and being all but unknown. The sides were "This Game Called Love" backed with "Finders Keepers". The record was released around May of 1960 on Madison Records #131 and credited to "Herbie Alpert" ("Ally Oop" by Dante & the Evergreens was on Madison #130). I DON'T have the record, but I have seen a copy of it, that being offered by John Tefteller. I ALMOST won it, but the price got to steep for me to afford to continue bidding on it.

I have most of the other records. The only one I'm missing now is his final A&M release under Dore Alpert (aside from the Madison disc), but I can wait for that one. The most recent add-on was the Carol release, which I only just got yesterday. In trying to date it, the best guess I can come up with is 1959 (I see it is agreed here), as well as placing it before his Andex release. Unfortunately there's nothing on the label or in the dead wax that would help to narrow it down. I was hoping for a possible delta/Monarch number in the dead wax, or even a mastering by RCA or Columbia, but those kind of clues were simply no where to be found. As Andex was a part of Keen Records and Ensign Records, they were all a part of the same catalog number run from 1958 on into the 1960's. I have a white label promo copy of the Andex record, and it uses the same reddish ink found on the Carol label, which is not an indicated promo. I'm thinking too that the Carol release may have pre-dated the Keen-Ensign-Andex run, which would date it from 1958 (or earlier?) rather than 1959.

Fred Clemens

I've always pronounced it as "Door-y".

Am I to understand that it's really "Doe-Ray"?

Is this akin to "Rise" being pronounced "Ree-zay"? :)

Harry

"Doré" ("Doe-Ray") with the accent, is French for "golden" (whether he knew that or not, but not inappropriate!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom