Favorite Posthumous North American “B” Side

Favorite NA Posthumous “B” side

• Sailing On The Tide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interesting, for me it was a toss up between "Do You Hear What I Hear", "I Just Fall In Love Again" and "The Uninvited Guest"... I went with the latter, it's from one of my favourite albums "Lovelines", and Karen sings it with so much emotion, she sounds almost tearful. I do feel that many of the "Made In America" outtakes are stronger than what was used.

Think I'm missing something with Uninvited Guest. I find it pleasant enough but I struggle with the singing-down-a-well echoey effect. I went with I Just Fall In Love Again. Less might have been more come the choir bit, but it's the track I listen to most out of these. Though I do have a soft spot for Sailing On The Tide for some reason.

I have been obsessed with The Uninvited Guest since I first heard it long ago. Such a different song and Karen’s vocals are dynamite.

I went with IJFILA. I absolutely love Karen's performance on it. I'm hoping that this upcoming RPO release can make her vocal stand-out more, bring it up-front and center, not so buried in the production. So tomswift2002, what's your favorite (you didn't tell us)?

I have been obsessed with The Uninvited Guest since I first heard it long ago. Such a different song and Karen’s vocals are dynamite.

The line that really does it for me is “just like the old song torn between two lovers”. Her enunciation between the syllables “song” and “torn” is sublime. This is also one example where the chorale really works. Haunting song.

For me it was between “Sailing On The Tide” (which is a great sequel to “Happy” which was also by Peluso & Bettis), “Do You Hear What I Hear?” and “The Uninvited Guest”.

However, my love for Christmas and Carpenters meant that I went with “Do You Hear What I Hear?”. The runner up would be “The Uninvited Guest”.

The line that really does it for me is “just like the old song torn between two lovers”. Her enunciation between the syllables “song” and “torn” is sublime. This is also one example where the chorale really works. Haunting song.

That's funny. One of the reasons I don't really care for "The Uninvited Guest" over the others is her sloppy enunciation at around 3:20 in the song, where she sings, "...but I'll have you know..." and really slurs the words.

That's funny. One of the reasons I don't really care for "The Uninvited Guest" over the others is her sloppy enunciation at around 3:20 in the song, where she sings, "...but I'll have you know..." and really slurs the words.

I never cared for her enunciation at that point of the song either, Harry, although I've always heard it as ".. but I love you though..". As in "I should leave you, but I love you though, it doesn't make sense."
I thought the song was very appealing when the album came out, but over the years I rarely listen to the track for some reason. It hasn't worn well for me.

Last edited:
It's funny how we all hear songs differently. I love the quirky country sound of "Uninvited Guest." The lyric slur gives it a bit of mystique, which I think matches the mood of the song. Whether intentional or unintentional, this is one I don't dig too deeply into the meaning of. Just enjoy it at face value. :)

Back
Top Bottom