• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Feel Good Carpenters Song

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

So much has been made of the melancholy quality in Karen's voice and accented with Richard's arrangements. I started thinking, what song always makes you feel upbeat?

For me, "Boat to Sail"- the album came out in 1976 when I lived in the Huntington Beach Harbor area, and yes, it was fun because I was just learning to sail. Great timing!

The song: sultry vocals, laid back harmonies, very smooth. Great for any Southern California day ta the beach.

The promising "We've Only Just Begun" is what I would describe as "Feel-Good"... Another would probably be "Only Yesterday"...

Dave

My favorite 'feel good' song, well - songs - are a toss between "Sweet, Sweet Smile" and "Jambalaya" - 2 songs I love to crank up and sing along with, plus you can plainly hear that Karen enjoyed singing them.

Mike

For me, "Happy" and "Only Yesterday". May be a couple others if I think of them.

My Favorite "feel good" Carpenters song is "Those Good Old Dreams" from the 1981 album, Made In America. An uplifting fun, happy song!

I'd go with "Saturday" as my feel-good Carpenters classic. If I was to pick one with Karen's voice, it would probably be "A Kind Of Hush".

nc-mediafan said:
I agree with "Sweet, Sweet Smile". I would have to add "Help" from Close To You and "Sailin' On The Tide" from Voice Of The Heart.

I would have to agree with these choices

"Yesterday Once More" is another that would put as being a "Joyful Carpenters Tune"! (It helped that I heard it on the radio today, too!) :)

Dave

Well, for me there's nothing like a feel good round of depression. Therefore RAINY DAYS brings me happiness and deep satisfaction.

I've missed you guyz,

Jeff

Dave said:
"Yesterday Once More" is another that would put as being a "Joyful Carpenters Tune"! (It helped that I heard it on the radio today, too!) :)
Dave

I agree Dave.

I'd also choose the Bacharach Medley (the tempo), One Love, Top of the World and Sing.

djn said:
Well, for me there's nothing like a feel good round of depression. Therefore RAINY DAYS brings me happiness and deep satisfaction.

Jeff

Depression (I call it 'longing') and chill-factor tunes... what an excellent combo!

Four Shoes said:
...I agree, Dave...

...I'd also choose..."Top of the World"...

Joe P.
San Diego, CA

Yes, "Top Of The World" can be pretty uplifting, too! My mom bought it on a Green/Yellow Forget Me (K)not series '45', a long time ago, and wrote down all the words to it! :)

Dave

mine is the single version of "I Won't Last A Day Without You". The added guitar licks, etc. remind me of spring/summer.

"Happy" is a great feel good song, so is "Saturdays"
and "want you back in my life again" & "b'wanna she no home" both put me in a good mood.

daveK said:
I'd go with "Saturday" as my feel-good Carpenters classic. If I was to pick one with Karen's voice, it would probably be "A Kind Of Hush".

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Another vote for "Saturday."

With Karen's voice, I pick "Don't Be Afraid To Love".

Though it was once my least favorite Carpenters song, I have now had a change of heart over "Beachwood 45789". I used to skip over it on the Made In America CD, but then I heard it on a compilation (either Reflections or Sweet Memories) and I really started liking it. Maybe it was just hearing in a different context. I don't know, But I now think of it as a feel good Carpenters song.

I've not contributed to this thread, mainly, I suppose because I can hardly think of a Carpenters song that doesn't make me feel good! ButI wanted to comment on piloso49's post:

piloso49 said:
Though it was once my least favorite Carpenters song, I have now had a change of heart over "Beachwood 45789". I used to skip over it on the Made In America CD, but then I heard it on a compilation (either Reflections or Sweet Memories) and I really started liking it. Maybe it was just hearing in a different context. I don't know, But I now think of it as a feel good Carpenters song.

That's interesting because I've recently come to feel the same way. For years I looked down on "BEechwood 4-5789" as just another remake of an oldie, a case where they went to that particular well once too often, and I just didn't appreciate it at all. But it's come up a number of times in some homemade compilations of their actual top 100 hits, and I've grown to appreciate it much more these days. It's got a great arrangement, the requisite overdubbed choral backgrounds from Karen and Rich that I always looked for on Carpenters recordings, and it's produced well. I also like how, in the video, scratchy record sounds are added to the opening, as if the record had been picked a thousand times in that particular jukebox.

Good stuff.

Harry

Yeah, the two "oldies" (Outside their "Medley", which was a mixture of "feel good" and sad songs--too legnthy to sort-out right now) "BEechwood 4-5789" and "Please Mr. Postman" are a couple of real POSITIVE songs...

I sometimes wish "BEechwood..." would be a little more closer to The Marvelettes' version (theirs' is a lil' more "Summery", but a bit melancholy--and who knows HOW MANY people have been actually CALLING it--or DIALING it, back then...!) :laugh:

"Please Mr. Postman" I hear quite often on the radio and I think it was one of the songs on my 2-Disc Classics, Vol. 2; "BE4-5789" should really have been there, too... "...Postman", also by The Marvelettes was very well-done and I like how The Beatles even thought of covering it, too... But it is also a good and "feel-good" Carpenters tune, too! :thumbsup:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom