• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Fleetwood Mac reissues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she's OK with recording, but didn't want to go out on the lengthy tours. BTW, there is an alternate track on the DVD-A release that features the band members giving a running commentary of the songs, and I believe she's on that as well. It's a neat feature to have, since they can explain a lot of the music as its playing. They often start off with a demo version of the song and then segue to the recorded version on Rumours.

Mike Blakesley said:
You should listen again to "Thrown Down," that is a good song.

Ooh, I forgot that one! You're right, that IS a good one! I knew there was a second Nicks one on there I liked that I was forgetting!

Mike:

You're right! Christy was involved in the reissues. However, according to what I've read, she has little or no interest in recording with the current band. She was actually pretty vocal about this, as a great deal of it had to do with personal feelings, etc.

Jon

Like anyone else I suppose, I always liked all of the radio hits I heard of Fleetwood Mac. My problem is that I've heard these hits SO often, in SO many different radio formats, that I just don't think of the music as special anymore. They're like wallpaper to me - completely background.

I bought their greatest hits CD back when it was issued, and I think I played it once or twice, but couldn't get into it as the songs are already burned into my head.

Maybe I need to explore the albums, which I've never done (I must be one of the three people on the planet WITHOUT a RUMOURS album), in order to better appreciate this band.

Harry
...Mac-less except for a GH CD, online...

I agree--overplaying of the Rumours tracks on classic rock radio sort of ruined it for me also. Good thing is, I stopped listening to the radio for quite awhile now and I can listen to the album more. The non-popular tracks (what few there are) are worth hearing, especially Christine McVie's "Songbird". "The Chain" still sounds good after all these years too. The DVD-A version of Rumours is incredible in 2-channel mode...much more like the LP as I remember it, and I can just hear so much more detail than with a CD on this one. Much easier to pick individual instruments out of the mix.

Harry said:
(I must be one of the three people on the planet WITHOUT a RUMOURS album)...

Well, Harry, you and I should go on a quest to find that third person-- I'm the second of the three!!!

--Mr Bill
hoping a copy of Rumors never finds its way into his home...

All My Life, I've been totally FLEETWOOD MAC-less!! And YES, I am the third person out there who doesn't own a Rumors album and never have! Had lots of chances to get it in a variety of condition from Vinyl (LP and whatever cuts made it to '45'), to 8-Tracks, Cassettes and Reel-To-Reel, to every incarnation, New and Used on CD and never did!! :winkgrin:

But I did have a Rumors T-Shirt...!! :laugh:

Dave

...which along with my Bruce Springsteen Born To Run "T", was 'Soooo Cool to Wear'...!! :goofygrin:

Dave said:
...yes, I am the third person out there without a Rumors album.

Wow! Figure the odds of that! Three people in the US who don't own Rumors and all three are regular members of the A&M Corner. Weird!

Dave said:
But I did have a Rumors T-Shirt.

Hmmm. That may be worse than owning the album... :confused:

--Mr Bill

Yeah, well I make up for you guys and then some....I have seven copies of it.

1. Original LP
2. Original LP in white vinyl
3. Cassette
4. VHS of "Classic Albums" video on making of the album (recommended)
5. Original issue CD
6. DVD of "Classic Albums"
7. The new CD reissue

I'm at three right now: vinyl, late 80's CD, and DVD-Audio. I still need to get the "Classic Albums" DVD. While I give a slight musical edge to the Fleetwood Mac and Tusk albums, Rumours is just one of those that "clicked" and, even after all these years, is still a great album. Granted you have to tune out of classic rock radio for awhile, but it's still musically solid, especially for having sold as many copies as it did.

Mike Blakesley said:
4. VHS of "Classic Albums" video on making of the album (recommended)

Hmmm. I do have a VHS proof of this (post production was done at the place I worked at the time) as well as a few others in that series.

--Mr Bill
remembering one of the cool aspects of assisting on Rhino Video productions...

I've got a few of these VH1 Classic Albums DVDs. I'd say the only one I've been disappointed in was the DVD for The Who's "Who's Next" album. There was less band interaction on this title, and it really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about the album. In comparison, the one with Phil Collins is pretty much up close and personal for the good part of an hour, parts of it with Hugh Padgham. Likewise, the Steely Dan "Aja" and Metallica volumes are just as detailed, something a studio geek like myself can relate to.

I too have several of the Classic Albums videos. Mostly on VHS, the Fleetwood Mac one is my first on DVD.

My favorite parts are where they are in the studio dissecting the songs. Really shows how much work goes into making a great pop album. It's cool to watch the producers/engineers (Richard Dashut and Ken Caillat) still marveling today about the sheer talent in the band.

The only one of the tapes I didn't like was the Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life. It didn't really have much to say, I didn't think. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Phil Collins was interesting where he said that he used to do "If Leaving Me is Easy" in concert, but quit because of loudmouth audience members whistling, shouting etc during the song and ruining the emotion of it. I thought that said a lot about his integrity as a performer, that he would stop doing a song if it would be compromised by audience idiots.

On the ICE Magazine (July 2004) that I got in the mail yesterday, turn to page 32 "The CD Watchdog" on "Rumours". The magazine answered my question about the song "Gold Dust Woman". Please read the article because it is quite long! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Mike Blakesley said:
Phil Collins was interesting where he said that he used to do "If Leaving Me is Easy" in concert, but quit because of loudmouth audience members whistling, shouting etc during the song and ruining the emotion of it. I thought that said a lot about his integrity as a performer, that he would stop doing a song if it would be compromised by audience idiots.

He recently wrote a post on his own forum regarding his set list. Even if you're not a Phil Collins fan, you have to admire his integrity and honesty to his fans.

Dear Fans out there,

I had an idea at the beginning of this tour to check out the Website to get some REAL feedback about the shows. We all know the press don't like what I do, witness some of the recent reviews reprinted on the site!!!

Unfortunately what I found on the Website disheartened me a little. If one thing keeps rearing its head, it's 'THE SET LIST', so I'll try now to explain a couple of things about choosing a set of songs to play.

Firstly, I don't choose a set list for people who travel to multiple gigs... I choose it to be seen once, as that is the way MOST people will see it in the City I'm playing in. If people go to more than one show then they have to expect the probability of hearing the same songs. There will always be things people miss, and I've seen it mentioned a few times that people have liked it more the second time.

There's a lot to take in at one sitting. The complaint that the set is "safe" or "just hits" is a bit unfair as these are the songs that MOST people have shown to be their favourites over the years, and presumably would like to hear 'live' for the last time.

MOST bands, once they have material that is paced and in the right kind of order DO NOT change the set much from night to night. To get the pace right over 2 hours requires tweaking here and there during rehearsals and believe me, if you mess with it, it can really change the flow of the show.

WITHIN songs different stuff happens, but the sequence of songs may not change once they're in their best place. One other major point about changing the set is that it has a knock-on effect with the Lighting Cues etc. Most days it's all the crew can do to assemble the rig in time, without relighting new songs.

The list of songs in some of your set lists would have MOST people scratching their heads.... they include some of my favourite songs too, but there is nothing worse than looking into the audience and seeing a bunch of bewildered faces. I have to think of the 90% of the audience that don't spend time on the website, and just want to hear their favourite songs. In amongst all of that I do try to put in some new or different stuff if only for the band and me. I too could have put together 2 hours of material that even you guys may not have chosen, though personal favourites of mine, but I had my reasons for choosing what I did. I do though, take it as some kind of backhanded compliment that there are so many different favourites among your choices!!!

I, perhaps mistakenly, hoped that this set list would be looked at as a celebration of my music, covering a lot of what's been enjoyed by MOST people over the last 25 years or so. I have changed a few things around, contrary to some opinion, arrangement wise, and brought some songs back to the way they were originally, as well as adding some new pieces altogether.

The point though, that actually led me to write this, having held my tongue for the last few weeks about the set list, is that I don't "respect my fans", as I don't listen to their input or opinion. Some of the replies to this point were right on the money and thanks to those who jumped to my defense! I do of course have great respect for my fans.... you like what I do, which means in some ways we connect... who'd listen if you didn't!! I don't inter-react with the site, as quite honestly, I'm too busy doing the things that you end up discussing!!!!

Regarding the CD of every concert being made available via the Internet, such as Peter and The Who and others, this WAS something I was going to do... however, The Record Companies stepped in and stopped me: even I answer to someone... so there you go!!! I am obviously pissed of about this and am pursuing it, but if you want to get involved, complain to Atlantic Records in the USA...

I am not the neurotic perfectionist that people make me out to be and I can see why people would want that sort of memento, warts and all!!!

True, the Internet does not interest me as much as Peter. I could see even as far back as the Interactive CD period that you either immerse yourself in it, or you carry on and gradually absorb the technology: I chose the latter, he the former. Incidentally, something that nobody has mentioned at all considering you seem to notice everything, is that we change the language every night for the statistics in Paradise... every night we have the city we're playing in on the 'Take me Home' screen...so the show is not static at all.

Frankly I'm really bored with the continuing comparison of Pete and myself. We're great friends that once played in a band together 30 odd years ago... aside from that we have no reason to be compared to each other.

Finally, it is my dog Jack that participates in 'Wear My Hat', and it's not loud on stage, just a bit warm for his feet!!

This tour IS the last tour.... I will play on stage again, but not for months at a time, like this. Again some of you have responded sympathetically to this. As you know, I have a young Son who I will be taking to school. As some of you have also pointed out, I did say I wouldn't Tour as I'd been advised not to due to the hearing loss. So this tour is something of a bonus. I just thought it would be nice to go out one last time, play everybody's favourites and say 'goodbye', and I'm really enjoying it, as are the audiences so far.

Most of what I've read on the site is just good old discussion...but I felt I had to straighten a few rants and theory's out. I don't want to indulge in a great debate here either, I'm putting my thoughts and reasons to you, and I know already what some of you think!!!

I suppose the old adage of "you can't please everyone" is as true today as it was when someone first said it...

Meanwhile, we'll keep on keeping on.... hoping that you'll still be there...

Much love, and relax, enjoy it, it won't be here forever!!

Phil (the singing drummer)

http://www.philcollins.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tour;action=display;num=1086973664

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom