From Shout! Factory: no more at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Tony I have already stated that it's Herb that calls the shots and I will not apologise to the captain - I have nothing to apologise for - You should know that as a fellow citizen we are from a democratic country and therefore we have freedom of speech - as such I am perfectly calm - I expressed my opinion - thats all - it's not me that has a problem with anything.

This gets to be a touchy topic because:

Shout Factory has told us (repeatedly) that e-mails from the public will NOT hurry up any more Herb releases;

Randy Alpert has told us that Herb will release all the albums, but in his own time;

Tony Currie has told us that Herb himself said that more releases are coming, but did not reveal when;

We have stated these facts (repeatedly) here on the forum and it's also in our TJB FAQ, but people are understandably anxious for new releases and feel powerless to do anything to encourage new issues EXCEPT write e-mails about it.

But the fact remains, the Shout Factory people AND other people connected with Herb AND possibly (we've heard) Herb himself all read this board occasionally, and THIS BOARD is the best place to make your feelings known. Not by flooding Shout Factory with e-mails that will do absolutely nothing except help wear out their Delete keys.

Now having said that, it's also good not to repeat ourselves ad nauseum. Do a search for a topic on the album you're thinking of before you start a new topic. You might find that your exact sentiments have already been stated, but feel free to bring an old topic back if necessary.

And, snarkiness is defined somewhere in these pages. A search for "snarky" will dig it up! :)

Well, I can sympathize with all the expressed points of view here, and certainly not to imply that mine is some kind of voice of heightened reason, but what hasn't been stated, not even in the business-minded rationalizations already posted, is that while one lone griping voice may not be appreciated or taken seriously, ShoutFactory, and even Herb Alpert himself, are business people, and business people respond to market demand. Regardless of whether ShoutFactory or Herb Alpert holds the step-child Vol 2, Warm, etc. master tapes is irrelevant. ShoutFactory are the current distributors of the latest round of Herb Alpert product. As such, they should accept the role of channeling customer feedback. I'm sure that if enough customer demand were expressed for the release of the remaining TJB titles, neither ShoutFactory nor Herb Alpert could ignore it. As they say, "money talks and lonely bull**** walks". :)

It's not up to SHOUT! FACTORY, it's up to Herb as to what and when anything gets rereleased. He owns the rights to all of his music. Nobody else does. Herb reads this forum. He knows how everybody feels. He is a marketing and sales expert. WE ARE NOT! All this griping will NOT change his mind!

It should be obvious that the main thrust of the reissue project has been the REWHIPPED album. Give it a chance to sell, to establish itself...and other projects will probably follow...Herb is STILL very active, and still a creative force to be reckoned with. I can't believe that he doesn't have anything more up his sleeve.

Be patient. All this mumbling and grumbling and bickering just makes us look like a bunch of ungrateful idiots. When the time is right...

Dan

How is expressing a desire for the release of a record being 'ungrateful?' How can a consumer sending an email cause problems for a company?

I have a small company myself and I quite like it when I get feedback from customers. Far from ruining my day, it gives me valuable input and helps shape my plans. I can't imagine telling my customers to *not* give me this kind of feedback.

I just don't get this line of reasoning.

"Is our supply running out?", "What's Next?", "is anything else by herb going to be reissued?"--so many threads started and so many of the same questions asked... Nothing wrong with wanting a "complete catalog" reissued; I have yet to see The ENTIRE Sandpipers, DOMESTICALLY reissued on CD, while just making do with my vinyl... (Though at this point, I only like the last two LP's they did, anyway; probably should'a thought of putting my Japanese CD's in the LP sleeves, at the time)

Let's just have One Thread (or maybe a FORUM) devoted to such...

Dave

What is with all this political correctness here? We all want the rest of the catalog! Herb you're 71 years old!! What are you waiting for!! Get it all out...

Not only is Herb 71 but I would imagine the majority of his fans on this forum are pushing 50+ and will not live forever. The time for release of the remainder of the catalogue is now, not when we are all six feet under!

Len

Dore Adler said:
How is expressing a desire for the release of a record being 'ungrateful?' How can a consumer sending an email cause problems for a company?

I have a small company myself and I quite like it when I get feedback from customers. Far from ruining my day, it gives me valuable input and helps shape my plans. I can't imagine telling my customers to *not* give me this kind of feedback.

I just don't get this line of reasoning.

If you received so many emails that you couldn't concentrate on anything else, it would really be a burden. Shout! Factory isn't A&M; they don't have the resources to deal with a huge influx of people trying to get them to do something they can't do in the first place.

It's the same here...people have monopolized threads, asked the same questions over and over in different threads and it's getting to the point where tempers flare...it seems that all we talk about is how dissapointed we are that we don't have everything we want from Herb Alpert. REWHIPPED is a great album that almost seems lost in the shuffle.

The man is doing the best he can to satisfy his fanbase...and he's rich enough that he doesn't have to do anything, if he doesn't want to. Can't you just trust his judgement?

Dan

Dan Bolton said:
The man is doing the best he can to satisfy his fanbase...and he's rich enough that he doesn't have to do anything, if he doesn't want to. Can't you just trust his judgement?

Well said, Dan!

I understand the thinking that bombarding Shout Factory with e-mails could possibly be a problem, however, I find it extremely hard to beleive that our (relatively) small group here will cause a disruption. Face it, the members of this site consititute a nice percentage of the buyers of this project.

You could take the stance that Herb is doing us a big favor, but the truth is, he isn't doing this as an artistic statement. Both he and Shout Factory are in this to make money. I'm sure that I speak for many on here that have bought multiple copies of these discs. Not only did I buy multiple copies, but I bought new, sealed, non-promo discs. Generally, I will buy used, cut-out, or promo, but I felt that I would reward Shout Factory by going through the proper channels to get these cds.

Having said that, I think that we do have the right to e-mail Shout Factory with our desire for more cd's. If this was something like The Beatles or Elvis, I could see the problem by having hundreds of thousands of emails bombarding their mail servers. I can't see that our small group will disrupt their business or hurt them in any fashion. I'd also guess that many are emailing their thanks or complimenting Shout Factory for helping out us HA/TB fans and requesting that the reissues continue. Shout Factory employees aren't required to respond to these, nor are they asked to.

Bottom line, WE(the fans) play a big part in making these reissues happen. We make the system work, so we aren't idle bystanders.

Michael H.

(one who needs some) spanky spank spank said:
...I find it extremely hard to beleive that our (relatively) small group here will cause a disruption. Face it, the members of this site consititute a nice percentage of the buyers of this project.

If the only people buying the reissues are the few dozen regulars here we can expect the reissue program to more or less be done! For every regular poster or lurker here there has to be hundreds more in sales to justify a continued program on a sales and distribution standpoint alone.

On the other hand I support anyone's right to email Shout!Factory. We're only trying curtail the bombardment as a favor to them that they asked for since the majority of folks writing in mention this site. In other words, S!F, Herb and everyone else that matters already knows we're here and knows we all want more. Their staff is less than a dozen and they have no dedicated PR department. Heck, I suspect they draw straws each day to see who gets to clean out the e-mail box!

--Mr Bill

I guess, on a symbolic level, that sending emails to Shout!Factory will represent to them that we have a desire to see more of Mr. Alpert's material released.

However, we pass that symbolic level once we begin to send emails with the tone of irritation similarly expressed here by a number of people. That's when Shout! will begin to delete those emails in earnest.

I see Shout! as being the dam that holds the floodwaters back, but Herb is the one who's in charge of opening the locks at the end of the day. They are in it for the money, and I'm sure, to some degree, to reward Herb's fans and new listeners with some historic recordings.

We don't make the system work; ultimately it's up to Herb. And if he peruses this site as rumored, I doubt his seeing these assertions that we somehow control his sales ideas would make any damned difference!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sending a politely written letter or email to anyone. I have never heard of any company or business organization - however large or small - that is in business to make money and sell product or service, that did not want to know what potential customers needed or wanted, or what was going on in the market. Customer feedback and opinion nowadays seems to me to be more important and relevant than ever due to intense competitive pressures.

Product or service demand, or lack thereof, is vital information for any business that expects to stay in business. Businesses run on information, so to imply that a business doesn't want to have or know all the information it can get relative to its interests doesn't make sense to me at all.

Anything that might amount to, or be considered as badgering or harassing this company is clearly inappropriate. But, receiving a politely written letter or email is to be expected as routine operating procedure. I do not think that contacting any business whatsoever, in a polite and civil manner, should in any way be any kind of problem at all. If it is, then that business needs to examine itself as to its own operating philosophy and procedures, because the competition does have the necessary marketplace information, and will be glad to take over.

I think people should wait and see what happens...a bunch of letters and emails isn't going to affect the outcome one way or the other in this case, IMHO. Let them do their thing, and wait and see what happens.

For what it's worth...

seashorepiano said:
We don't make the system work; ultimately it's up to Herb.

We don't make it work, but without the consumer it doesn't work. Without us snatching these up as soon as they hit the stores, it won't work. WIthout Herb, it won't work...for now. Years from now, when Herb is dead and gone, his estate will have these and may release them or sale them, etc. So it's in his hands for now.

Don't misunderstand, I would never promote anyone continually bombarding Shout Factory with rude emails. However, if someone feels the desire to email SF with a nice note about the current reissues and their desire to see more of the catalog, I don't see how it could hurt. I ithink it's all in how you handle it.

Michael H.

Probably nothing wrong with a nice, short note. But, the problem arises when they keep getting "demanding" notes from the same people over and over.

Enough Shout!Factory folks read the forum here--there really is no need for e-mails directly to them. Trust me on this. :wink:

Pretty much a dead issue though--we've all said what we've had to. Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom