From Shout! Factory: no more at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, so much of Herb's discography has touched so many people, that the best box set would be all of his works all at once. That says something.

NYCDguy said:
I don't know the sales numbers, but I know that at my CD store (which recently became an online CD store, sadly), all the TJB reissues sold quite briskly, and to a large demographic range of customers. So I'd guess that the sales of the "evergreens" weren't the issue in the decision not to release the lesser-known albums. I'm assuming there never were plans to release any of the post-"Beat Of The Brass" albums simply because they're not as much in demand by people other than hardcore fans.

Releasing the more popular albums first was probably done for marketing reasons, not to upstage the post BOTB releases and Vol 2. And, as Capt. Bacardi has pointed out numerous times already, RANDY ALPERT said all of the albums will be released. Have patience. As far as what the Shout representative said about no more at this time, that is precisely what record companies say if they don't have a legitimate release date to tell you. I called them about 2 months before "Re-Whipped" was announced and they knew nothing about it.
So be patient.

David,
keeping the faith, online........

Edited by moderator to fix all-too-common "quote" error

thetijuanataxi said:
As far as what the Shout representative said about no more at this time, that is precisely what record companies say if they don't have a legitimate release date to tell you. I called them about 2 months before "Re-Whipped" was announced and they knew nothing about it.
So be patient.

David,
keeping the faith, online........

Edited by moderator to fix all-too-common "quote" error
OK, thanks for that. Their response just didn't sound very promising to me.

I can certainly see Shout! Factory's position in not pre-announcing any more releases until they're ready.

As an example of how this can go really, really, wrong, there's a current thread at the Maynard Ferguson website, where the fans are going ballistic because there was a release date announced for a new CD, and the label missed it. In retrospect, they would have been better off not giving a date at all.

So from Shouts!' perspective, I can certainly understand to a very noncommittal response, until they can pin down exactly what they're going to ship next, and when. I think that given the amount of work already put into releasing Herb's work, that it makes the most sense that they will, eventually, release the rest of the catalog.

I sure hope so. Like many people here, I'm really looking forward to getting the rest of Herb's albums on CD. (Especially Warm, Beyond and the two albums with Hugh Masekela.) But I can wait. Patiently. (The Montreux DVD is helping a lot.) :)

Mike said:
I feel like a cocaine crack addict… I gotta have a fix! I need more TJB, it’s more powerful than PCP. Herb, don’t cut off the supply… I need more TJB, Now!

Regards,
Mike

Now I see what they mean by "Tijuana Gold"

(It's some sort of magic herb)

David

My feelings are quite simple...I am very thankful for all the albums which have been reissued by Shout!Factory. Anything more is icing/gravy.

My appreciation to Herb, Randy, and Shout!Factory.

T(jB)om :D

Tom said:
My feelings are quite simple...I am very thankful for all the albums which have been reissued by Shout!Factory. Anything more is icing/gravy.

I've had meals where the gravy was the best part...

Anytime I've ever heard the words "no plans" or "nothing at this time" or something like that from a record company, it meant "don't hold your breath". That's my opinion and I really, really hope I'm wrong. I want "Summertime" and "Coney Island" on CD so bad!!

I guess the biggest reason I have for wanting the later albums on CD is, my LPs sound so crappy! SUMMERTIME especially is such a quiet record, that it would really benefit from a CD release. CONEY and YOU SMILE both have favorite tracks too, especially "I Belong," which has those loud parts that get distorted on the vinyl. (At least on my turntable, they do.)

As for WARM, while I'd love to have an official CD of it, the needle drop version I have probably sounds 95% as good as the CD would anyway, and I made my own package for it that probably looks as good or better than an official package would (except, I don't have Josh Kun liner notes... :wink: )

As for this "no plans" stuff: Let's all keep in mind that until fall of '04, there were "no plans" for ANY Tijuana Brass issues....so I don't put much credence in that phrase.

I missed out on a Still-Sealed copy of Warm and would just as much like to see Summertime reissued as well... If ...Volume 2 ever was on CD via Import or Domestically at one time, it could be done again... (With better mastering, of course) And wouldn't it be nice to be the first person to open a BRAND NEW copy of The Brass Are Comin'...

Coney Island is one I have a tough time finding; found the other two Herb Albums of tthe '70's, so that PLUS the non-LP singles shoud be "conviently packaged", too! I mean we've got a long way to go just to see it as ALBUM OF THE WEEK!

Dave

Dave, Check E-bay under HERB ALPERT SEALED. There's two sealed copies of Warm up for grabs right now. One is a buy it now.

I've never owned "Summertime." I've been waiting for a CD release. But I may have to break down and find one, now.

From a database of mine, here is a list of the remaining Herb Alpert/TjB tracks that have yet to be committed to professional CDs:

from WARM:
Sea Is My Soil, The
Marjorine
Girl Talk
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Continental, The
Pretty World
To Wait For Love
Sandbox

from SUMMERTIME:
Hurt So Bad
Martha My Dear
If You Could Read My Mind
Darlin'
Nicest Things Happen, The
Montezuma's Revenge
Catch A Falling Star
Strike Up The Band

from YOU SMILE, THE SONG BEGINS:
Fox Hunt
Legend Of The One-Eyed Sailor
You Smile-The Song Begins
Save The Sunlight
Dida
Song For Herb

from CONEY ISLAND:
Coney Island
I Have Dreamed
Señor Mouse
Mickey
Sweet Georgia Brown
Ratatouille
Catfish
This Masquerade
Carmine
Crave, The
Vento Bravo
I Belong

non-LP single:
El Bimbo

The above list also counts the tracks that appeared on LOST TREASURES as having now been released. If one were to insist on those as not counting, due to different mixing, then one could add:

non-LP single:
Fire And Rain

from YOU SMILE THE SONG BEGINS:
I Can't Go On Living,Baby,Without You
I Might Frighten Her Away
Up Cherry Street (Version 2)
Alone Again (Naturally)

non-LP single:
Whistle Song, The

Harry
...checking the data, online...

I'd like Herb to come to the realization that the "worst" of his vintage catalog is superior to the "best" of many of today's best-selling artists and let the reissue program move forward to completion.
Ideally the entire collection should have come out at once, from my completist-collector point of view, but the company's desire not to flood the market was understandable.
By the way, I've yet to find a traded-in used Shout Factory TJB disc in the usual cutout bin haunts.
JB

I saw a used copy of LOST TREASURES at a local CD Exchange in Cleveland about a month ago. Going for 6.99.

I've always wondered how many of those "used" copies were the "parent" of a CD-R that remained in the original owners' posession. A lot, I'll bet.

Harry said:
Fox Hunt
Save The Sunlight
Dida
Song For Herb

The above list also counts the tracks that appeared on LOST TREASURES as having now been released. If one were to insist on those as not counting, due to different mixing, then one could add:

Alone Again (Naturally)

Harry

And Promises, Promises of course.....

Is there any way to make enough e-mail noise to Shout to help them consider re-issuing the whole set of TJB? I, too, would love to get my hands on The Brass are coming and Warm, actually more than the earliest ones. Soooo, let's start at the very beginning: What is Shout's e-mail address?

Shout!factory have been bombarded with emails requesting that the remainder of the catalogue be re - issued but at the end of the day it's not their decision to make - it's down to Herb himself - and, so far he has resisted from issuing the missing albums - for reasons known only to himself. By all means send them another email - it can't do any harm! The address is: [email protected] - or visit their website and click on "contact us".

Stephen Vakil said:
Harry said:
Fox Hunt
Save The Sunlight
Dida
Song For Herb

Alone Again (Naturally)

Harry

And Promises, Promises of course.....

Actually, "Promises, Promises" by the T.J.B. showed up on a Japanese Burt Bacharach compilation called THE A&M SONGS OF BURT BACHARACH. It shows up occasionally on eBay (It was one of my earliest eBay purchases!) The inclusion of that T.J.B. track along with rare Baja Marimba Band trcaks made it a good compilation album for me. It also introduced me to Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends with their rendition of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart."

Harry

lonely bull said:
By all means send them another email - it can't do any harm!

NO NO NO!!!

How many times do we have to go through this? Shout does NOT want any more e-mails of requests. They don't have time to deal with the e-mails. This is a small company - a VERY small company. They have more important things to do than deal with a bunch of pests who just ask the same questions. They have absolutely no control over what gets released or when. Bombarding them with pointless e-mails will not change anything, and will only get Shout to ignore this site (which, unfortunately, may have already started to happen because of a couple of people).

Capt. Bacardi

Now hang on a minute! We are a bunch of pests? We are the people that are buying shout!factory product - therefore we are paying these peoples wages - I think we should have some input into what we are buying, therefore we are entitled to voice our opinions - if they are getting annoyed with people emailing them then they are in the wrong business! Quite frankly I find Your comments very negative - when did shout!factory appoint You as their spokesman?We are perfectly entitled to voice our feelings as we see fit - so don't tell people to stop bugging shout!factory to tell them what we want.

Don't worry about me Captain - I can deal with it perfectly well. But don't think that You have the god given right to bully people on this website - because You don't - moderator or not. Your's is not the only opinion on this website - even if You do have connections with shout!factory.

Calm down, Mr. Bull.

Getting cross with people absolutely never gets results - you should know that.

I also run a small record company, and believe me if I had an email expressed the way you just did, I'd put it straight in the bin. There's quite a difference between customers - the people who pay us money to but things we actually make - and irritants; people who ask for things that for one reason or another we cannot supply, but who simply won't take no for an answer.

You are not paying anybody's wages when you buy a couple of records. You are contributing a tiny amount. The wages come from the totality of the company's products and these have to be made and sold according to market demands. That's how capitalism works. But one loud and unpleasant demand doesn't make anyone change their production line to suit.

The Captain certainly wasn't bullying you, Bull - he was simply educating you to the reality of the situation; a reality which you seem unable to accept.

Herb holds the masters, not Shout! Factory, and he alone will determine whether or not they are reissued. And your posting sure ain't gonna help convince him to do so.

Sorry, but that's life. Holler at it all you like, but it ain't gonna change.

And I really think you ought to apologise to the Captain, one of the handful of people who has worked his butt off to try and make your dreams come true. A little recognition of the persistent but politic efforts of some of the guys behind this website wouldn't go amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom