• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Gin Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The recent reunion of the early '90s A&M band The Gin Blossoms, now on tour, gave me the opportunity last night to hear them perform in a small venue close to home. Four original members, with a new drummer, comprise the current line-up, and their hour and a half-long energetic performance held the crowd's attention through two encores.

Blue Cat's in the Knoxvile (TN) Old City was the venue, and tickets were $10 apiece. Besides several singles/EPs, the Gin Blossoms released two albums on A&M, NEW MISERABLE EXPERIENCE (5403 -- the last item in the 4100 series) in 1992 and CONGRATULATIONS I'M SORRY in 1996.

Personnel included Bill Leen (bass), Scott Johnson (guitar), Robin Wilson (vocal --- not to be confused with the female vocalist subject of next week's AOTW) and Jesse Valenzuela (guitar/vocal). Valenzuela's solo material was included in the program. The remaining songs included:

Allison Road/ Cajun Song/ Mrs. Rita/ Idiot Summer/ Lost Horizons/ I Promise not to Hurt You/ Pieces of the Night/ Found Out About You/ Till I Hear from You/ Hey Jealousy/ Follow You Down/ Until I Fall Away/ Kelly Richards/ Cowboy Song (cover of a Thin Lizzy tune).

The sound quality was excellent, and (for those who've never heard them) the vocals are reminiscent of The Byrds. Be sure to catch their show if they come your way.

JB
PS: I haven't calculated how many years it will take until NEW MISERABLE EXPERIENCE becomes AOTW. After 5403 the next item was "0000" (Carpenters box set).

www.gin-blossoms.com

I believe they're originally from Phoenix. Didn't one of them pass away? I had friends that would go see them at the Mason Jar Club. I never went. Later.................Jay

Yes. Guitarist and songwriter Doug Hopkins became a suicide victim at age 32 in 1993. He wrote "Found Out About You" and 'Hey Jealousy," two of the GBs best known songs.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom