• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

GOLD Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Hi Gang,

I've yet to see the promo spot on television for GOLD. Can someone expound on it? Also, does anyone have access to the info re: broadcast times?
I would like to see it as having a CarpenterS album out and about is something special. Particularily when the lead singer "passed" 21 years ago. I, for one am thrilled by the chart action. It's like "the good ol' days" all over again. Who'da thunk???

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, as I was about to ask the same questions. Is this a geographial marketing thing that excludes the West Coast? I am very tired of watching the T.V. Guide Channel and the Oxygen Network just to see the commercial that never airs! :rolleyes:

If anyone has info, please let us know.

On cable, it could very well be a regional thing. Each cable channel (and regular TV channel as well) has two kinds of advertisements, channel-wide (or network) and local.

During each program, a network, say CNN will have about 12 or so minutes devoted to its own sales - that is all revenue generated from the sale of those commercials go directly to CNN. There are also breakaway minutes devoted to local advertising - in other words, your local cable company (or Direct TV) has the ability to go out and sell their own local time on CNN. While these local commercials are airing on YOUR CNN, a person in another state might be seeing a different local commercial on CNN at that very moment. These local spots are laid over the national signal. During the time that the network has allocated as "local", they too are still sending stuff out, usually PSA's or 1-800 number products known as P.I.'s (P.I. stands for Per Inquiry. Stations get paid only if the ad generates results to the 1-800 number set up specifically for the station.) The network sends this stuff out in case your local CNN provider isn't interested or hasn't the ability to sell local spots.

So the question about the GOLD ad really is whether or not these are network buys, or local station buys, or for that matter even a Per Inquiry catagory of advertisement. For that, I have no answers.

Harry
...'splainin' the biz, online...

I caught the last half of the TV commercial for Gold 35th Anniversary Edition last week on CBS's early show. The next day I set my VCR to tape the whole 2 hours. But when I fast-forwarded through it, the commercial wasn't there. (Saw one for Hall & Oates, however :))

Got the USA Today issue with the Gold ad weekend before last. (100KB-scan of it here)

I think it's great that American fans have moved up from their chopped-liver status. :D

I'm wondering what is the content of the commercial? Do they mention Grammy's or million sellers or just how do they beef up and portray the release? Are there video clips etc.. Anyone have an idea of last weeks chart action?

I've yet to see it. We do watch some regular prime time programs, though really not that many. It would be nice if Universal had a site where the curious could go view their commercials.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Is it anything like one of those cheesy K-Tel type of commercials, where all the titles scroll down the screen? :D

In the commercial I saw, there was footage from their videos, including "Close To You" (a close-up of Karen, but IIRC it looked like she was wearing the same yellow top she had on in "Rainy Days And Mondays" from the Yesterday Once More VHS/DVD - where she's sitting at the drums :\) and ended with a clip of "From This Moment On" (Interpretations VHS/DVD) running in the background.

I believe the announcer mentioned their gold records, and said they are "musical legends and cultural icons."

I don't remember any K-Tel type scrolling of the album's song lists. :laugh: Maybe that was at the beginning.

A very classy commerical is the general impression I got while seeing it.

I know it was early in the morning...but I don't believe I dreamt seeing it :twitchy:

:),

Odd that they would feature "From This Moment On" in the commercial but not have it on the CD. Not that anyone would buy the CD just for that song, but one would think they would actually have songs on the CD that they play in the commercial. But what do I know?

Still have not seen it or have heard of anyone on the West Coast that has seen it. Knowing how much I am a fan, if anyone who knows me seen the commercial, they would have informed me.

Getting tired of watching the T.V. Guide Channel......

I saw the commercial a 2nd time. It is not a cheezy commercial at all. It's very nice in fact I was suprised at all the videos that they did play during the commercial. When they played From this Moment on, I don't think they played the music, just the moving video & I think when they played the song from The Muppet Movie, Rainbow, they showed a video clip of Karen in the off the shoulders dress from the A Kind of Hush video, again the video played & made you think she was singing it but she wasn't.

They did a really good job of showing the videos, they showed alot of the videos from Please Mr Postman at Disney.

It was like what Chris said, Shannon. Most of those video excerpts (including FTMO) were just visual background for the song bytes. Hopefully the west coast stations will start running it too.

Chris, do you recall what channel you were watching when you caught it?

I know. I went ":shock:? wow! alriiight!!" when I saw it. A Carpenters TV commercial isn't something you see everyday.

The only reason I caught it is because CBS is Ch.4 here, and I was switching to that channel so I could turn on the VCR. Unfortunately, I didn't have a tape ready in time to record it. :sad:

...at least I know I wasn't dreaming seeing it offline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom