• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Grammy awards 1974 with Bette Midler and Carpenters

Karen kinda got the last laugh, though. When asked about the rivalry at one point, Karen said (I’m paraphrasing here), ‘She’s a riot! She likes to pick on me, but I’m the one with the gold record of ‘Superstar’ on the wall’.

I like this clip from the 1975 American Music Awards where Karen and Richard present an award to Charlie Rich. To me, they both seem a bit more relaxed than at the Grammys with Bette.

I like this clip from the 1975 American Music Awards where Karen and Richard present an award to Charlie Rich. To me, they both seem a bit more relaxed than at the Grammys with Bette.

Fun trivia bit, and I'm sure nobody was even thinking about this at the time: Charlie Rich's "Most Beautiful Girl" is the song that knocked "Top of the World" off of number one.

What surprised me most about this is just how quietly spoken Karen was. When presented with a microphone and a crowded room, a lot of people tend to project their voice, but watching this makes me think Karen wasn’t even capable of raising her voice louder than the level she spoke at. It’s a good job those microphones were powerful enough to pick her up.
This stood out to me as well. I always wondered if Karen was soft spoken in person after seeing this video.

Back
Top Bottom