• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Had a good Herb Alpert day today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithH

I got these two discs in the mail today:

* Herb Alpert/Hugh Masakela, A&M catalog number CD 0819, sealed in the digipak

* Herb Alpert Whipped Cream and Other Delights Re-Whipped promo copy

The Alpert/Masakela disc was just $7.99 shipped. The seller showed a picture, but I was skeptical about what I would actually get. For $7.99, I thought I should take a chance. It's the real deal! Used copies go for over $40 on eBay from what I have seen, so I am in shock here. The seller obviously did not know what he had.

The Re-Whipped promo isn't a big deal from a content standpoint since it appears to have the same material as the commerical release (I haven't opened the promo, so I'm going by the track list). The back cover of the promo sleeve has this amusing statement:

Once upon a time, there was a badass with a horn, a babe in whipped cream and a bunch of songs that became American classics. Now, forty years later, Herb Alpert is back with new solos mixed in alongside even newer grooves by some of the most innovative artists around. Rewhipped indeed.

The cover shows the new whipped cream lady holding the original LP. A couple of other Herb LPs and a turntable are nearby. I love it!

As a bonus, the seller of this promo threw in a promo CD-R of Herb's Christmas Album. I actually thought of getting the commercial version at Borders the other day, but I passed. It's a couple days past Christmas, but I think I'll give the CD-R a spin.

This promo CD-R appears to be legit, as it came in a Shout! Factory promo sleeve. The front says "Dedicated to what you grew up on but never outgrew". It also says:

FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE. AND WHILE WE'RE AT IT, WE'D RATHER YOU DIDN'T UPLOAD THIS FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SHARE. IT'S ENOUGH THAT YOU GET THIS STUFF FOR FREE, ISN'T IT?

I'm loving this stuff. :)

KeithH said:
The Re-Whipped promo isn't a big deal from a content standpoint since it appears to have the same material as the commerical release (I haven't opened the promo, so I'm going by the track list).

Keith,

Give a listen to the promo disc (assuming you're going to open it). On the early promo CDs that we latched onto around here, the next-to-last track, "Bittersweet Samba" was different in its opening strains and in the backing rhythm throughout, making it a "rare" mix.

I prefer the "rare" mix with its more Brazilian-sounding rhythms.

Harry

Harry,

Thanks for the tip! I will give it a listen and report back by tomorrow. :)

Keith

Harry said:
KeithH said:
The Re-Whipped promo isn't a big deal from a content standpoint since it appears to have the same material as the commerical release (I haven't opened the promo, so I'm going by the track list).

Keith,

Give a listen to the promo disc (assuming you're going to open it). On the early promo CDs that we latched onto around here, the next-to-last track, "Bittersweet Samba" was different in its opening strains and in the backing rhythm throughout, making it a "rare" mix.

I prefer the "rare" mix with its more Brazilian-sounding rhythms.

Harry

Just because the graphics on this album are so well done, we should have a "refresher" picture or two:

ReWhipped_A.jpg

ReWhipped_B.jpg

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom