Hal Blaine - Grammy Lifetime

Simon KC1950

Next week the legendary Wrecking crew drummer, Hal Blaine, will receive a Grammy lifetime achievement award for his studio drumming work.
He played on almost all of the Carpenters early recordings. Furthermore he has played on a total of 40 number One records by artists including The Carpenters, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, The Mammas and The Pappas, John Denver and Nancy Sinatra.

I think it's time for Richard (Carpenters) to receive a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for his/their contributions to popular music while he is still young enough to appreciate it. With three Grammy awards, numerous nominations, being the top American born recording artists (Billboard) of the 70's in addition to over 100 million in record sales certainly would warrant this recognition.

I think it's time for Richard (Carpenters) to receive a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for his/their contributions to popular music while he is still young enough to appreciate it. With three Grammy awards, numerous nominations, being the top American born recording artists (Billboard) of the 70's in addition to over 100 million in record sales certainly would warrant this recognition.

In one of the very last conversations I had with their former manager, the late Sherwin Bash before he died, Sherwin told me that he tried endlessly to get Richard into the songwriter's hall of fame, but Richard had been blackballed by the music industry, for undisclosed reasons relating to his personality and the way he handled various situations over the years. There was no question in my mind at the time that Sherwin had some resentments towards Richard; a relationship between the two that ebbed and flowed and was often strained unfortunately.

Let's hope Richard does receive a lifetime achievement acknowledgement. Regardless of any issues some may have with his personality or the way he may or may not handle things, the guy certainly deserves it and so much more.

Personally, I think Sherwin Bash was an excellent pairing for the Carpenters initially. He was an experienced and savvy manager but pushed too hard with concert tours and other commitments once they were clearly established (1973) recording stars. Karen and Richard were too polite to say no to his scheduling recommendations and would have benefited by seeking out Jerry Weintraub or upper echelon management much earlier. Werner Wolfen could have been more pro active during this period.

I still put a lot of the blame on Sherwin for not handling the Neil Sedaka incident prior to it getting out of hand especially knowing that issues were already brewing with Richard at the onset of the tour. Sadly, this lack of leadership led to instant negative media coverage and the beginning of the downward slope for the duo and does not negate mistakes on Richard's end.

Simon, I definitely feel that Hal Blaine deserves this recognition and hopefully Joe Osborn will also get his due respect in the future for his similar studio efforts with the Wrecking Crew. Didn't mean to get off track with your post : )

Does anyone know why they dropped Hal Blaine from the early seventies onwards in favour of drummers like Jim Gordon and Ed Greene?

In one of the very last conversations I had with their former manager, the late Sherwin Bash before he died, Sherwin told me that he tried endlessly to get Richard into the songwriter's hall of fame, but Richard had been blackballed by the music industry, for undisclosed reasons relating to his personality and the way he handled various situations over the years.

Doesn’t surprise me at all.

Let's hope Richard does receive a lifetime achievement acknowledgement. Regardless of any issues some may have with his personality or the way he may or may not handle things, the guy certainly deserves it and so much more.

He absolutely deserves the recognition but I don’t think that will ever happen, for the reasons stated above.

Counting the days until this thread is blackballed lol.

Only adding my two cents:
(1) Sherwin Bash was Herb Alpert's manager--correct me if wrong--at the time Carpenters' were introduced to him.
I've never read, or heard, Herb Alpert making the same kinds of (negative) comments regarding Sherwin Bash's
management style (as we have read, and heard, from Richard Carpenter).
(2) Richard Carpenter's personality seems to be such that he would have fired Bash had they (the duo)
not been making loads of concert dough, and selling millions of records.
So, Sherwin Bash must have been doing something right.
(3) I shudder at the thought of hiring Jerry Weintraub any earlier than they already did.
As I have detailed elsewhere, he did them no real favors. Especially, he was always
executive producer of the TV Specials !
(4) Hal Blaine was ditched roughly during the same time-frame as Daugherty and Bash.
So, I do wonder what was "happening behind the scenes".

Regardless of personality,
both Hal Blaine and Richard Carpenter are long overdue for Kudos.

The issue here is that their three Grammy wins were as a duo - Richard's contributions as arranger resulted in several nominations but no wins, so for him to get an award as an individual isn't likely. Combine this with the still somewhat lukewarm attitude towards the Carpenters in the US and I don't see this happening any time soon.

The Songwriters' Hall of Fame would be a more natural fit for Richard. Although he does come across as prickly in interviews from time to time, I can't imagine what he's done that's supposedly got him blackballed from this.

The dynamic with Sherwin Bash is a strange one. Sherwin clearly was good at parts of his management role, but the endless tour booking was a huge failing. He's also had fallings out with other clients he's managed, such as Anita Baker (although rumour has it that she was quite a difficult character as well). We've heard much less of Sherwin's side of the argument (it's a real shame he wouldn't be interviewed for Randy's book), although from what he has said, I can see why there might be some friction with Richard.

I still find it very odd that, after hauling Sherwin over the coals in the Ray Coleman book in 1994, Richard went back to being managed by him in the late 1990s!

Artists signed with Sherwin Bash include .....
"The 1960s saw the addition of clients including Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Dyan Cannon, James Caan, Katharine Ross, Randy Newman, astronaut Wally Schirra, Buck Henry and Petula Clark. "
"BNB signed The Carpenters in the 1970s as well as talent including Jim Croce, Captain & Tennille, Neil Diamond, Crystal Gayle, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Bill Withers, Raquel Welch, Neil Sedaka, Cheryl Ladd, Gabe Kaplan and Kansas."

Sherwin Bash, Longtime Personal Manager, Dies at 86

Does anyone know why they dropped Hal Blaine from the early seventies onwards in favour of drummers like Jim Gordon and Ed Greene?
I thought Hal Blaine was going through personal issues (divorce, for one) and was not available for a span of years and even took up other jobs as we all often do as we live life. I could be wrong and not sure if I should even post this for my reading sources could have been wrong.

Rumbahbah, my intent was for the Carpenters as a duo to be awarded with Richard still being in good enough health to accept and enjoy the recognition. His "nominations" were individual but would still fall under the Carpenter umbrella and would hopefully add a little more clout towards consideration.

Rumbahbah, my intent was for the Carpenters as a duo to be awarded with Richard still being in good enough health to accept and enjoy the recognition. His "nominations" were individual but would still fall under the Carpenter umbrella and would hopefully add a little more clout towards consideration.

And remember, just like with Hal enjoying the acknowledgment for his contribution to a "body" of work as a drummer, Richard has done the same as a producer, arranger, songwriter and continued overseer of the legacy. It's more than deserved in my book.

As much as I admire Hal Blaine and all the great work he has done, I don't think I can bring myself to actually watch the upcoming Jay-Z/Beyonce love fest that will be the 2018 Grammy Awards. The show has "sucked" for several years and all the technical snafus are ridiculous. Who can forget last year's train wreck when Metallica's James Hetfield (Go Downey High!) disgustedly threw his guitar stage-right after his microphone went dead halfway through the number with Lady GagGag. Or the annual drama with Adele dropping her mic in the grand piano or having to "take a Mulligan" after screwing up her big number. Like the Oscars, Emmys, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, etc...These spectaculars have long since "jumped the shark". Besides, who can stand the nauseating James Corden, maybe he will do another hilarious version of "Carpool Karaoke" with his cardboard car. ugh...

Went a bit off-topic there, sorry.

Last edited:
I still find it very odd that, after hauling Sherwin over the coals in the Ray Coleman book in 1994, Richard went back to being managed by him in the late 1990s!

I’ve always thought that bizarre as well. Richard has rarely, if ever, gone back to people he’s cut out of his life.

I’ve always thought that bizarre as well. Richard has rarely, if ever, gone back to people he’s cut out of his life.

It was actually at that time that I first met Sherwin backstage after a concert Richard did in Long Beach in February of '97. I remember thinking it was a little odd, and after they parted again, Richard then was being managed again by David Alley. He's gone full circle on a few of these over the years.

Funny story - I remember a rather lengthy conversation with Sherwin that night, going on and on about how much the industry on the whole had changed. I'll never forget his words: "Nowadays if you wanna become famous, you know what you do? You go out and buy yourself a gun and shoot somebody. Then you're all over the headlines. It's not about talent anymore these days!".

So true in this day and age... :shock:

Back
Top Bottom