• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Hall/Carpenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativo

Do anyone know how well Lani knew Karen Carpenter and if they were friends...or if their music had any influence on each other? It seems that they would have spent at least some time together through the A&M connection....and since Lani became marrie to Herb Alpert etc...

I don't know why i'm asking....just curious i guess..

j

Man, talk about a desperation thread... :D

Only Lani could answer whether they were friends or not. I would guess that they at least knew each other because of Herb, and given the fact that some here have met Lani and found her to be quite gracious I can only presume she was friendly with Karen Carpenter. I don't know about the influence on the music. I don't hear it myself, but I could be wrong. Again, only Lani can answer that.

Capt. Bacardi
...wondering when someone will start a "what did she eat for breakfast" thread, online... :confused:

Don't know who Lani is or what she even looks like, I don't think I have seen her name even in the Ray Coleman biography book but Olivia's is mentioned alot. I'm assuming Lani is or was Herb wife after reading this post.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Don't know who Lani is or what she even looks like, I don't think I have seen her name even in the Ray Coleman biography book but Olivia's is mentioned a lot. I'm assuming Lani is or was Herb wife after reading this post.

She was one of the original lead vocalists of Brasil '66. Her solo recordings have a loyal following. Harry assembled a discography, which is linked off of the main A&M Corner page. She has a distinctive voice herself.

I can only think of three songs that Lani ever did that were also recorded by Karen Carpenter. With Brasil '66 on a previous Album Of The Week, Something Festive, Lani did "The Christmas Song" which Karen did on the Christmas Portrait album. Much later, Lani did "Have Youself A Merry Little Christmas" on that Windham Hill Jazz Christmas CD - Karen's version can be found on that Christmas Portrait album as well. The only non-Christmas song that the two have in common is one that Karen never actually released - "Jimmy Mack." Lani did her version on her Albany Park album in the '80s - Karen did it first for her solo sessions and, though it leaked out, remains officially unreleased. The two have totally different singing styles.

As for whether Lani Hall and Karen Carpenter had any kind of relationship - I can't say. I don't recall ever seeing the two in any kind of picture together, even in a group. So, if they were friends of any kind, it was likely a private thing.

Harry
...fan of both, online...

I really need to get out more. :D
I usually just hit the forums area, need to visit the mainpage every now & then. Which I just did & must commend you on how great it looks with the snow falling....then seeing Christmas Portrait displayed, well that's icing on the cake. :D

To be honest I really don't know much about Herb Alpert & the TJB except that he was the "A" in A & M (as Karen explained it) :D

Chris: don't look into the light! Next you'll start believing everyone when they say Lani is wonderful singer...then they'll have you hooked on ANOTHER musical obsession! :D :laugh:

All kidding aside, chances are you may like some of Lani's recordings. Brasil '66 even, which is where I'd usually send someone to start listening. That's one reason, when I started this website, I decided to go with the entire A&M concept vs. concentrating on one single artist. To talk about the Tijuana Brass, you also have to include Julius Wechter (an "uncredited" member), and the Baja Marimba Band. A similar core band of musicians played on other albums of that era (Claudine Longet, Sandpipers, Chris Montez, etc.). Likewise, Alpert signed Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 and used them as an opening act. So there was a whole Brazilian connection there, and Sergio Mendes produced recordings for other A&M artists as well. And you can't NOT discuss Carpenters without mentioning Paul Williams and Roger Nichols, both of whom recorded their own albums for A&M. Ditto Burt Bacharach, whose songs were covered by many A&M artists. A&M was more like a family, and many of us here have recommended recordings to each other, so many I've lost count!

Chris, if you want some samples of Lani's singing, check out Amazon.com or Tower Records.com under the name of Sergio Mendes. There, you can find albums referencing Brasil '66 - that's the group she sang with. Find a sample of "Like A Lover" or "So Many Stars" and you'll get an idea what Lani sounds like. Virtually all of the Brasil '66 catalog is available from Japan, with two albums and a few greatest hits compilations available domestically. The best single-disc samplers would be Classics Volume 18, Foursider, or Greatest Hits, all of which can usually be found for a reasonable price. I often see Greatest Hits lumped in when those silver Universal 20th Century Masters sets go on sale for $7.99 to $9.99.

B000002G93.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lani Hall is the dark-haired one on the lower right. The blonde is another famous A&M 'Karen', Karen Philipp.

Lani's solo recordings are all pretty much forbidden fruit - all out of print everywhere, with maybe that Windham Hill A Jazz Christmas still available in the Christmas bins this time of year. Very little of her solo output was ever mastered to CD in the first place, though they released one of those purple Classics CDs with some of her best solo stuff on there. It's Volume 19, and usually sells for a pretty penny on eBay.

Harry
...with a Lani Hall primer, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I really need to get out more. :D
I usually just hit the forums area, need to visit the mainpage every now & then.

Chris, I always start at the home page just because you never know what new stuff you'll find there. The pictures of the current AOTW(s), the discographies (which are the heart of the site where the forums are the brains), A&M birthdays, obituaries and much more.

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom