Hanging On By a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

This song with Smokey Robinson ("Smoke Signals") came on my ipod today. It sounded terrific, especially when Richard comes in on the background vocals, and then of course, with Tony Peluso's incredible guitar solo.The other song, "Sleepless Nights" is very good as well. But my favorite of the bunch is "Wishful Thinking". Got me thinking. Richard was pretty good guesting on others' projects and a good producer post Karen.

Imagine my surprise when the next song was "Only the Angels Know" by Akiko. This reminds me of "Prime Time Love" in parts, and I think gives us an idea of where Richard and Karen would have gone later in their career. Most people, I think, prefer "How Could I Ask for More?" but this song and "China River" were always my favorites to listen to.

Thoughts?

I like the tunes on Smokey's album, too. It didn't do much, but they were very Carpenter-esque and it fit Smokey's sound very well.

Smoke Signals was a pretty dynamite work--especially following up 1981's Being With You... And an as important an album in Smokey's career as his other post-Miracles solo projects...

"Wishful Thinking" is, to me, not to be confused w/ the Pat Boone song of the same title, from his 2010 CD Hopeless Romantic... Which features a remake of Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose 'Too Late To Turn Back Now', and an a-capella/vocalese version of Queen's 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love',and a few other collaborations w/ some notable writers, and even a final appearance by the late-Chet Atkins playing a guitar solo on one song (recorded in 2001, before his death & saved for this release)...

Among a bunch of other love songs and intimate, quiet storm treasures, done in pretty much a Smokey Robinson-type of vein...

-- Dave

A couple of years ago I uploaded the track from this album called "Te Quiero Como Si No Hubiera Un Mañana" which featured Herb Alpert. It's straight from my vinyl copy.

Video blocked by YouTube

Harry

somehow, with all my Carpenters stalking through the years - I was never aware of these songs.... Just You tube'd them - and was delighted to hear RC's influence... Just reaffirms my content in the Christmas album thread that Richard's talents are sorely missed. Would love to hear more from him in an arranger producer fashion with other artists...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom