• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Help! Name that A&M artist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

macca64

When I was little my dad had some white label promo records. One of them being on the A&M record label. All I remember is the guy's last name was 'Price'. It was a jazzy horn driven style of music similar to Chicago. One song, I believe, was called "You've got the power". I don't know if this guy was successful in the music business or not being that it was a promo album. Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to find this album if it can be found. Thanks!

That is Jim Price,"You've Got the Power",from KIDS NOWADAYS AIN'T GOT NO SHAME,SP-4321. I've got "Power" on SP-8096 compilation labeled as SAMPLER on the jacket spine and label. The cover,in black and white,says THE(artists contained listed in alphabetical order)ALBUM. This was supposed to be available to registered voters in the early '70s,after the voting age was lowered to 18-"Power" being the first and last tracks and kind of the over all theme to the album. I don't know if this was made available through other channels(it is white labeled but not listed as DJ material). I know we didn't have a copy at our college station.According to www.borderlinebooks.com,Price was a member of Leon Russell's Oklahoma group of musicians and played on Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs tour. Jim Keltner,Klaus Voorman,Bobby Keys and Nicky Hopkins(oft-recorded sidemen on many a rock album) are supposed to be on this and/or Jim's other solo album for Dunhill. I always liked that track but never got around to picking the LP up-which evidently was pretty obscure even in its own day. Others will add more info,I am sure. Mac

Coincidentally, my copy of SP 4321 is also a white label promo. Here's the trax:
Side One: Sunshine 3:41/ You Got the Power 3:31/ Kids Nowadays 4:03/ I Can't Help it 2:44/ Food for my Soul 4:13.

Side Two: Safe to Smile 3:44/ Under Control 3:15/ You're My Lover 4:18/ Train of Clover 4:27/ Mystery Shadow 4:40.

Interesting writing credit for the last cut on side one: "D. Dragon" AKA the Captain from Capt. & Tennille.

JB --- will post trax in 31 weeks when SP 4321 becomes AOTW

LPJim said:
Coincidentally, my copy of SP 4321 is also a white label promo.

Make that 3 white label promos owned by A&M Corner-ites!

--Mr Bill

sp4321.jpg

Nice cover scan!
(My own has a bit of ring wear, which unfortunatly stands out on dark LP covers).
JB

Mine does too, but thanks to Photoshop I can remove it for the most part. And I've been scanning tons of AOTW covers to the AOTW file for future AOTWs. I've even found more of the Zodiac series which we previously had none...

--Mr Bill

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, but several years ago I found all 12 of the Zodiac albums at the same time at the same place and bought 'em all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom