• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Alpert: LISTEN(perfume)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jilanha

I recently went to Strawbridge's & had inquired about HA's perfume LISTEN. SHE DIDN'T KNOW THE PRODUCT!She had replied that LISTEN was discontinued 20 years ago(which is completely FALSE!)LISTEN came out on the market in 1989 and the last time I had bought myself a bottle of LISTEN was in 1997, so the SALESWOMAN DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT! I'm DEVASTATED that LISTEN is discontinued and it really IRKS me when salespeople don't know their products! I am music store manager & I KNOW MY PRODUCTS, so why can't she? :mad:

There are a couple of bottles on sale at eBay for -- get this! -- $699.00. Yes ladies and gentlemen, you can have a bottle of this out-of-production perfume for nearly seven hundred dollars!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2917211196&category=11847

Oh, and by the way, it just says disply bottle, so it might not even include the perfume!

Harry
...who'd rather have 2 SRO's for that money, online...

Harry said:
There are a couple of bottles on sale at eBay for -- get this! -- $699.00. Yes ladies and gentlemen, you can have a bottle of this out-of-production perfume for nearly seven hundred dollars!

I recently bought a bottle of Listen For Men on eBay for about $30. Not long after receiving this I read an article about colognes that said that the shelf life of most perfumes/colognes is just under 2 years. It starts getting a bit rank after that. :wtf:

Harry said:
Harry

...and maybe a Portrait In Music or a Noche De Amor on CD...

Capt. Bacardi

Harry said:
Oh, and by the way, it just says disply bottle, so it might not even include the perfume!

Display bottles in the perfume business are usually referred to as "testers"-the sample bottle that they like to spray at you as you enter the store. In my wife's case,since she is allergic to fragrances of that nature,that would bring a lawsuit. Yeah,these cheapos are selling the fragrance equivalent of a promo-wonder if it's drilled on one side? Perfumee.info lists the 3.3 oz. eau de toilette spray for $24.90 and one ounce eau de parfum spray for 6.99 . Isn't "eau de toilette" what a poodle drinks? Mac

Captain Bacardi said:
Harry said:

I recently bought a bottle of Listen For Men on eBay for about $30. Not long after receiving this I read an article about colognes that said that the shelf life of most perfumes/colognes is just under 2 years. It starts getting a bit rank after that. :wtf:

Harry said:
Harry

...and maybe a Portrait In Music or a Noche De Amor on CD...

Capt. Bacardi

I've got some Avon WILD COUNTRY that's about 20 years old, and it still smells as good as it ever did...and check out fragrances.com for Listen...they STILL carry it.

Dan, wondering if 20 year old cologne would change his luck... :rolleyes:

Hey, should I go to Dad's house and throw out that Old Spice he bought back in the 60's? :wink:

I'm not a cologne person myself. Have had a couple over the years (which still smell OK), but I'm not big on it. One bottle I've had since 1988...and I barely put much on.

Wwere I used to work, the manager of the purchasing department really used to pour it on. A few years before I started working there, they used to have two guys who were purchasing agents who also poured it on in gallon doses. Someone told me that you could walk in there and walk back out, and would never need to wear your own cologne! :wink: Kinda like the cologne equivalent of a contact high.

big noise from chicago said:
Do you mean my bottles of 007 and Hai Karate may not be any good?

Might explain why you've had bad luck with the ladies over the past 20 years or so. :wink: :D

Heck, my mother wore perfume so seldom, there is still a bottle of Chanel No. 5 on her dresser that is older than I am! (No "antique" jokes either... :wink: )

I bought a bottle of Listen men's cologne back around '89/'90. It was great stuff. The packaging had the signature "Herb" artwork in different shades of blue. Looking back, I wish I'd kept at least some of the stuff. 20/20 hindsight...I figured I'd purchase another bottle when I'd depleted the one I owned...wrong! It was discontinued before I had a chance.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

I have found the perfume in the Perfumania store, along the east coast, FYI, although I had thought Mr. Alpert no longer owned the fragrance.

[.The saleswoman was BEAUTIFUL BUT OLD. OLD FOGIE SALESWOMAN DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT!

Hey, hey, hey!!! Watch the old lady stuff!!! :wink:

www.perfumestation.com
Herb Alpert Listen for Women or for men
3.4 ounce bottle $24.99

( We old ladies look things like that up on the internet you know)

cakeicer said:
[.The saleswoman was BEAUTIFUL BUT OLD. OLD FOGIE SALESWOMAN DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT!

You're not old, Shirl...not until marshmallows seem sharp...

Dan

Dan[/quote]

Your not going to believe this one Dan. In 1949 my father was a civilian employee on a Marine base In Barstow, Ca. We lived in Marine Barracks that had been converted to apts. We shopped at the base commisary where they had a sale on Campfire Brand Marshmallows left over from WWll. We bought some, hard as a rock, I bit into one and cut the inside of my mouth.LOL

cakeicer said:

Dan

Your not going to believe this one Dan. In 1949 my father was a civilian employee on a Marine base In Barstow, Ca. We lived in Marine Barracks that had been converted to apts. We shopped at the base commisary where they had a sale on Campfire Brand Marshmallows left over from WWll. We bought some, hard as a rock, I bit into one and cut the inside of my mouth.LOL[/quote]

And people complain about the stuff we serve ....I'd say those marshmallows were a bit past their expiration date. They could have saved them for a few months and used them for bullets or maybe shrapnel for the Korean war... :wink:

Dan, getting ready to cook, online...

Shirl: I'd say "we aim to please", but who knows what that'll do to Dan. :wink: :D

cakeicer said:

www.perfumestation.com
Herb Alpert Listen for Women or for men
3.4 ounce bottle $24.99

( We old ladies look things like that up on the internet you know)
THANK YOU SHIRLEY for finding Listen. It's my Favorite Fragrance to wear. It's been 6 LONG years since I last wore it. I enjoy wearing it in the warm weather. Shirley, YOU"RE an ANGEL! And about that old lady comment, I wasn't referring to you darling. Besides, you're not old anyway. IF you were old, you would not be able to FIND Listen. From now on, I'll be more careful about my comments on the STICKY topic of AGE. :wink:

Your excused Jill, I'm older than dirt, but I can still find things on the internet. I used a perfume for years made by Max Factor called "Golden Woods" They discontinued it 30 years ago and I still miss it. I found some on eBAY and got it for $10.00 just so I could smell it again. Well let me tell you, after 30 years it didn't smell like I remembered it! :D

cakeicer said:
Your excused Jill, I'm older than dirt, but I can still find things on the internet. I used a perfume for years made by Max Factor called "Golden Woods" They discontinued it 30 years ago and I still miss it. I found some on eBAY and got it for $10.00 just so I could smell it again. Well let me tell you, after 30 years it didn't smell like I remembered it! :D

After 30 years, it had probably fermented...cologne doesn't seem to age as well as we do...although some of my Avon Wild Country still smells pretty good after 15 or so years...BTW, does Avon still make Sweet Honesty? That and Cinnibar were my favorite ladies colognes...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom