5. Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring (Arr. Shorty Rogers) 3:23

Produced by: Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss
Voices and Strings Arranged by Shorty Rogers
Arranged by: Herb Alpert
Engineer: Larry Levine
Studios: A&M Recording Studios/Gold Star Recording Studios
Photography: Guy Webster
Art Director: Tim Wilkes

Give us faith in ourselves and faith in our fellow man...then, the treasures and
Beauties of life that make man happy will spring from an inexhaustible source.
And at Christmas, when the hearts of the world swell in joyous celebration,
Let us cast aside the pretense of sturdy men and live if only for a day in
The hope and joy we knew as children. A Christmas Prayer by an unknown author.

As we head into the final week leading up to Christmas, it's time to put on the perrenial Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass CHRISTMAS ALBUM and have our annual poll.

This is a special album for me (and many others, I'm sure), and the choice is tough to pick a favorite.

The album was released around the world under varying titles. I have a CD from the UK on the Spectrum/Universal label titled Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass AT CHRISTMAS from 2000.

Harry

Not to say that Herb Alpert & TjB doing "My Favorite Things" or his version not being included on iSOMETHING FESTIVE! is no good... Just that there, "My Favorite Things" done by We Five fits into a very neat and crafty Pop-vein, more cohesive with other Christmas/Seasonal/Holiday favorites, while at least here it stretches out into a very euphoric and ambitious, almost Jazz number...

Loved how I heard it on the radio, one time, and this was before the CD even came out... I was at a Stop Sign and then continued my drive home after the "break" in the song... :santa:

Had this on a picture-sleeve single, B/W "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)", which is my 2nd fav'...

But Herb's TjB CHRISTMAS ALBUM is as good, if not the holy grail of all Christmas Recordings, and still the most fun, as a whole, to hear... Still knocks me out after a lot'ta years...! :winkgrin:

Dave :bigsanta:

I always thought this album could be a little stronger, somehow, but every year since it came out, I grab it and enjoy it all over again. I like Jingle Bell Rock because I've always been partial to Herb's novelty tunes.

They really should release Something Festive on CD. Wes's "Greensleeves" would be a suitable bonus track.

I can still playback the "movie" in my head of my 12-year-old self walking downtown to head for our local variety store (which sold records), and thinking "I wonder why there isn't a Tijuana Brass Christmas album," and going into the store and wonder of wonders, the CHRISTMAS ALBUM was there!

I remember not being impressed with all the voices on the album at first, and I really didn't like Herb's version of "The Christmas Song" or "Let It Snow." But I loved "Jingle Bell Rock" and "My Favorite Things" immediately, and liked all the rest. Bob Edmondson's trombone on "Winter Wonderland" is excellent and Herb's version of "The Bell that Couldn't Jingle" is much better than Bacharach's own version from SOMETHING FESTIVE, in my opinion. (This song would have made a great animated Christmas TV special!)

Over the years my tastes have widened enough to where I enjoy the whole album almost equally. My least favorite track these days is "Sleigh Ride." My favorites are...well, all the rest.

If I had to pick just one desert island tune, probably "My Favorite Things" would fill the bill. It's the only version of the song that says Christmas to me. The piano interlude near the end is what does it, I think.

This is my all-time favorite Christmas album...if it weren't, why would I be here? I can't really pick a favorite; I always prefer to listen to it in its' entiriety, kinda like a TJB Christmas concert.

An album such as this is really a no-brainer, because it showcases one of Herb's greatest talents; it's a tour-de-force of old standards totally transformed into something new and exciting. Timeless melodies with new twists and tone poems par excellence abound. For example... I never would have thought of MY FAVORITE THINGS as a Christmas song, but it works here...I see a child anxiously waiting by his window on a cold, snowy and windy night hoping to get a glimpse of Santa until his father walks by his bedroom and tucks him back into bed, only to get up again as soon as Dad closes the door. It's a master stroke of genius on Herb's part. SLEIGH RIDE is just that, a sleigh ride with a heavy sleigh that the horse can barely get up a hill, then a brisk jaunt through the town square on Christmas Eve. JINGLE BELLS and JINGLE BELL ROCK are traditional songs done to a "T" in the TJB flavor, forget-about-your-credit-card-bills-it's-party-time fare. The traditional romantic warm Holiday feelings abound with Herb's takes on WINTER WONDERLAND, THE CHRISTMAS SONG and LET IT SNOW. THE BELL THAT COULDN'T JINGLE is for the kids, and LAS MANANITAS is for the parents. JESU, JOY OF MAN'S DESIRING is the perfect closer, and definitive proof that Herb Alpert is a classically trained musician.

I can't pick a favorite, because just about every aspect of the Holiday Spirit is covered here expertly...so I just listen to the whole thing. Every Christmas, without fail.

Dan

It may be sappy, but I went with "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle." A great little Bacharach tditty that should rank up there with "Frosty" and "Rudolph." "Jesu" is a close runner up.

Oddly (and I know I said this last year, too) the only cuts I skip are "My Favorite Things" and "The Christmas Song" -- the two songs that were featured on the lead single from this LP. I still can't figure out how "MFT" is considered a Christmas tune and I've never cared for "TCS" -- not even Mel Torme's version!

--Mr Bill

I still can't figure out how "MFT" is considered a Christmas tune
Nope, it's not a Christmas tune. (For you young-uns that don't know, it's a song from the movie "The Sound of Music," sung to the kids when they're scared during a summer thunderstorm.) but the wordless TJB version with the Christmas-like sounds of the choir, soft piano, etc is what sells it for me. Plus I always thought it was cool when a TJB song would stop and start again, or change rhythms.

I would say the reason pop culture started making it a Christmas tune is some of the lyrics which refer to wintery things: snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes, silver white winters, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, sleighbells. Pop culture has never been known for being all that smart, as we all know.

Wasn't Barbra Streisand the first singer to use MFT as a Christmas song? I can't stand that version.

Mike Blakesley said:
Wasn't Barbra Streisand the first...to use MFT as a Christmas song? I can't stand that version.

It's spelled "P-E-R-S-O-N" not "V-E-R-S-I-O-N" :rotf:

--Mr. Bill
"I slay me sometimes"

What I remember as an 11 year old is when the lady next door, who knew I was a trumpet player who played along with Herb Alpert records in our basement, thoughtfully bought me the "Tijuana Christmas" album by the Border Brass as a surprise thinking I would love it.

I tried, but couldn't get past the opening bars of cut #1. In fact, if you do a search on it, one of the prominent links that features the album is called "MP3's from hell."

The following year, 1968, the real thing was released. 1968. That was the year when Frank Borman read from the Bible while circling the moon on Christmas Eve...was the year when the TJB finally went holiday on us.

Somewhere I read that Herb's decision to record one was done at the last possible minute...way past the usual July recording sessions.

This is the album I play every time I put up my Christmas tree (artificial, of course). It always gets me in the holiday mood. As far as favorite tunes I chose "Jingle Bells". I just love the samba rhythm to it, and even the choir doing the little scat singing in the middle is hip. "Winter Wonderland" is a close second, with "Let It Snow" coming in third mainly because of the trombone solo. It's a strong album from start to finish and should be a part of everybody's record/CD collection.

Capt. Bacardi

Somewhere I read that Herb's decision to record one was done at the last possible minute...way past the usual July recording sessions.
I don't have the reissue CD in front of me, but it seems to me the liner notes say it was recorded in June.

"Las Mananitas" was my favorite thing on this choir-heavy album. And since I know I'm going to be outnumbered "everybody else-to-1" I'll just keep it short. Concerning "My Favorite Things": I can't stand choir. I can't stand Barbra Streisand, either. 'Nuff said.

Tony

Just heard this whole CD for the first time.....what fun!!!! I can't pick a favorite because I love it all ("The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" sure isn't "White Christmas", but it's a fun novelty anyway....)

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Just heard this whole CD for the first time.....

It took you HOW many years?? :D

I grew up with this album. No holiday is complete until I've spun it on vinyl. :agree:

Even though MFT isn't a "Christmas" song, I was young enough when I heard it that I associate it with the holidays. I guess the proof is that while we have two FM radio stations playing Christmas music (one started the week after Halloween!) here in Phoenix, I haven't heard MFT on either.

On the other hand, "Wonderful Christmastime" and "Last Christmas" (except for the title, is it REALLY a Christmas song?) I can hear every other hour. I was just so thrilled when Shout! Factory re-released Herb's recordings. Too bad they haven't, for whatever reason, been able to release the various video projects the TJB were in.

If the following link duplicates others, I apologize. I ran across this while watching the Art Carney - Twilight Zone episode. I enjoyed it immensely. I hope you do as well. It's Herb & The TJB on Ed Sullivan. You'll also find other links to TJB video/audio.

http://classicshowbiz.blogspot.com/2008/12/ed-sullivan-show-with-christmas-guest.html

It's a great album - even with the choral intros on some of the songs; once I get past those I'm groovin' - and a great alternative to the sappy, tired old fare that characterizes the Christmas season.

Much as I dislike those two songs, that was an amazing video!

--Mr. Bill

The best part is, as a child our family owned a really crappy knockoff Christmas album by the "Monterey Brass"....wish my folks had spent the money on the real thing way back then....

Was in a store this weekend where the Tijuana Brass Christmas Album played all the way through. Great to know new listeners are being exposed each season.

---Michael Hagerty

Well, these two are my FAVORITE Herb Alpert/TjB Christmas Songs...! Glad I had a chance to see the video...

Now I'm REALLY in the Christmas Spirit!!! :santa:

Dave

I had the original album back in 68 but my folks also got me that "crappy" knock off the Montery Christmas album wich I grew to love also.You gotta give the Montery Brass Christmas a chance .It will grow on you. I can't pick a favorite track on Herb's album.They are all the greatest in my opionion...but I just made a cd deleting all the choir intros & it COMPLETELY transformed the album! As Ed Sullivan said-"they are hot as pistols!"

Back
Top Bottom