• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Alpert's 2004 Christmas CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: a "Herb Alpert's 2004 Christmas CD"which does not exist but if he were to ask me :tongue: to produce a Xmas album this is what I would suggest.

Here are the songs with some minor explanation strictly for brevity.

1. Let it Snow: Done in a light medium swing style with an ad lib flute solo inserted.

2. My Little Drum: (Guaraldi) Done w/the “Passion Dance” latino bolero feeling.

3. Carol of the Bells: Done with a jazz sextet feel with jazz chorus

4. Trumpeter’s Lullaby: Done w/the “Passion Dance” latino feeling

5. Mary’s Boy Child: Done with an upbeat modern Cha Cha flavor.

6. Silver Bells: Done beautifully with the early Tijuana Brass sound.

7. I’ll Be Home For Christmas (or) Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: One of these should be done as a vocal. I think Herb’s voice would lend itself to either one of these.

8. Medley: Still Still Still/The Holly and the Ivy/In the Bleak Midwinter: I believe these could be put together harmonically to work. I haven’t totally figured it out yet.

9. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Done with jazz sextet and strings, this would be one for both Lani and Herb to sing together. (This one might just be to happy)

10. Rockin’ Around the Xmas Tree: Done with his Jingle Bell Rock Dixie swing sound.

11. Terpak-Russian Dance: This could be his next Zorba the Greek. It should be played fast with lots of double tongue.

12. Blue Christmas: End with a trumpet ballad.

Sounds good to me..I can almost hear it in my head. Have you ever thought of being a record producer ? That MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR could really swing with Pete Jolly on the piano...

Dan

Jay! That sounds amazing and I can practically hear it in my mind!

--Mr Bill

I've always thought Herb could have done "The Christmas Song" as an instrumental, starting with a rhythm track like the one on his existing "Jingle Bells." Then when it gets to the point where the lyrics say "They know that Santa is on his way...." the music slows down to the "bump'n'grind" style a la "Plucky," up thru the "reindeer really know how to fly," then on the "and so..." resumes into the fast beat again. Ending with the words "though it's been said many times many ways, Merry Christmas to you" sung over the music and repeated over and over through the fade.

This is probably a terrible description but I can totally play it in my head. If only I knew how to write it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom