• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb featured in soundtrack of new movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN BOLTON

I've just seen on Ebert and Roper that Herb Alpert's music will be featured in the soundtrack for the new Nicholas Cage movie MATCHSTICK MEN. It's scheduled to be in theatres in a couple of weeks. I have no idea what songs are featured, but it sounds interesting...

Dan

According to www.rottentomatoes.com,the Nicholas Cage character plays a continual stream of '60s popjazz/MOR music on his turntable(no tape,no CD and he has no TV),including "Lonely Bull" and "Tijuana Taxi". The Varese Sarabande soundtrack,available Sept. 30th,has the Hans Zimmer score and alludes to music from Herb, Bobby Darin and Mantovani,though specific tracks are not given as of this time. Sinatra songs("Summer Wind"-again- and "This Town") featured in the movie are evidently not in the soundtrack release. Mac

Makes me wonder if he scored the soundtrack, recorded unique songs for the film, or if the movie just uses a few clips of songs from his previous albums.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Overheard "Whipped Cream" in the movie Shrek a few days ago. :wink: (As Lord Fahrquad was picking out his dream date from the three eligible bachelorettes.)

And don't forget "The Lonely Bull" appearing in Jerry Maguire. Wasn't there also something in a remake of The Graduate?

Harry
...on a dreary, sleepy Labor Day, online...

Harry said:
And don't forget "The Lonely Bull" appearing in Jerry Maguire. Wasn't there also something in a remake of The Graduate?

"Love Potion #9" appeared on the soundtrack of the broadway performance of The Graduate.

Capt. Bacardi

Seems like the Status Quo's pre-A&M hit "Pictures of Matchstick Men" would be an obvious choice for this movie's soundtrack.
JB
PS: Also having a dreary day, trying to mow the grass between rain showers followed by oppressive humidity

jimac51 said:
The Varese Sarabande soundtrack,available Sept. 30th,has the Hans Zimmer score and alludes to music from Herb, Bobby Darin and Mantovani,though specific tracks are not given as of this time. Sinatra songs("Summer Wind"-again- and "This Town") featured in the movie are evidently not in the soundtrack release. Mac

Will be interesting to see if specific tracks show up on the soundtrack CD, or if it's just a musical score.

There's still no information on the soundtrack for the movie, but we did SEE the Matchstick Men movie this afternoon, and sure enough, the two songs mentioned earlier in the thread, "The Lonely Bull" and "Tijuana Taxi" are indeed featured in the movie.

The character played by Nicholas Cage, a con man by trade, is that of an obsessive compulsive agorophobic. It's on his turntable that we actually see the spinning ochre A&M-labeled LP while "The Lonely Bull" is playing (the color is clearly visible though the logo is out of focus as the camera is watching Cage in the background). And later it's as his estranged 14-year-old daughter is playing his albums while he's out of the house, looking for clues as to who he really is, that we see a '70s silver labeled album spinning while "Tijuana Taxi" plays.

The end credits of the movie list the two songs as being courtesy of Almo Properties LLC, the first I've seen an entity by THAT name.

A quick search on the Internet reveals that last year (2002), a movie named Moonlight Mile from Touchstone used the song "So What's New", also courtesy of Almo Properties LLC.

By the way, the movie was pretty good. Cage is great and the story was engrossing all the way.

Harry
...with the latest, online...

[update: The soundtrack listing is available on the Hans Zimmer website and the two TJB tracks will be on it.

1 The Good Life Performed by Bobby Darin 2:23
2 Flim Flam 0:12
3 Ichi-Ni-San 2:51
4 Matchstick Men 2:09
5 Weird Is Good 6:42
6 Lonely Bull Performed by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass 2:15
7 Ticks & Twitches 2:48
8 I Have A Daughter? 1:06
9 Swedish Rhapsody Performed by Mantovani & His Orchestra 2:37
10 Keep The Change 1:24
11 Nosy Parker 2:44
12 Leaning On A Lamp Post Performed by George Formby 3:00
13 Pool Lights 0:54
14 Pygmies! 2:07
15 Charmaine Performed by Mantovani & His Orchestra 3:05
16 Roy’s Rules 2:04
17 Carpeteria 2:26
18 Shame On You 2:55
19 Tuna Fish And Cigarettes 1:55
20 No More Pills 4:39
21 Tijuana Taxi Performed by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass 2:05
22 The Banker’s Waltz ]

I sure wish some movie would use "The Sea Is My Soil." That's probably the only hope it has of ever getting a CD release. :mad:

With Herb owning his masters, Almo Properties LLC is probably the legal entity for the holding company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom